2009: an Otway Odyssey...

krizbike

Likes Dirt
Well I've gone and done it, entered for 100km of suffering, pain, cussing and cursing.

I've also beaten my personal best - now entered in 6 events at once. Might actually need to do some practice!
Nah - if you are entered in that many events, they count as practice for each other! No worries! I'm only entered in 2 so far (Coffs Mountain Marathon and Freedom Ride near Lismore), but have plans for a few more (Verticon 6 hour, Otways, 100km road race).

Chris (eagerly awaiting his new American Classics wheelset)

velocidad

Likes Dirt
hi - first post!

this will be my first mtb event... just doing the 50 due to much the same reasons as Alex ^^^ , looking forward to it.

Hud

Likes Dirt
It's really worth making the effort to do the 100km. The 2nd half is the good bit.
I intend doing it again, just waiting for it to fill up a bit more.

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I intend doing it again, just waiting for it to fill up a bit more.
I wonder how many people are thinking the same thing though, it could be as soon as it hits (say) 700 everyone will go 'oops better register now' and it'll fill in a flash. We shall see I guess.

I haven't registered either :p.

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
...not sure I quite understand why you're waiting for it to fill up before you enter?
I know, silly isn't it! The only logical reason I can think of is I'm worried something might come up preventing me from racing. What I can't imagine, but... yeah.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Same here, I'm just talking myself into the 100!

....... but I'll be doing it. All the effort for 50? May as well have a crack at the triple digits.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi Guys,

As a heads up, booked accom yesterday and I'd suggest that if you haven't already done it, get cracking. Seems to be pretty full already (we were looking at cabins, etc).

Cheers,

Coaster

Benduro

Likes Dirt
100 for me... signed up a week or so ago and it was close to sold out. Are the hills at the start anything like the first 10km of the Lorne Anaconda MTB leg:confused: If so I could be in for a lot of cramp and pain! Will be very happy to finish by the sounds;)

cfd01

Likes Bikes
having done both (50km OO last year), the MTB leg of the Anacaonda was much easier by comparisin. The climbs on the OO are longer and there's more of them . I think they have a profile of the course on the Rapid ascent website.

In saying that tho - ive signed up for the full 100 this year :eek: Hopefully its dry this year

green_chairs

Likes Dirt
I'm going to go, but I'm only going to do the 15km. Its my first race, and I haven't done a ride longer than 30km's in a while, and certainly not on a proper XC track (due to lack of options near my place). So I'm going to cruise down and give it a go, seeing as its only going to be 15km's i'm goign to do it in my Farkin shirt that I bought of the site ages ago, nothing wrong with a bit of free advertising!

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Howdy Otway Farkers,

I'm keen to get an idea of what Farkers are doing out there to get ready for this. This will be my first 100 km event and I'm interested to know what people are planning to prepare themselves from here on in. Keep in mind that I'm there to finish it,not to win it so I'm not after the guns perspective (although I'd be happy to hear it!).

My plan? Saddle time! I'm at bit time stretched so I'll try to do two 2 hour rides during the week and then get one of 4 or 5 on the weekend. Outside that run 2 or 3 times a week at lunch and keep riding to and from work (only 15 mins each way).

Cheers,

Coast

craigb

Likes Dirt
have you got a road bike? even if you dont find the biggest hills that you can and do reps up them. You wanto be prepared for the climbs. Theres a ripper at the start and i seen so manny people strugling last year on the first climb i wonder how manny dnf just due to lack of being ready to climb. Yes there where other reasons mostly the mud. i finished 49th but started dead last due to a flat at the start so i watched as i chased the field down and it was interesting how manny people hadnt done enough preparation. Make sure you take some cramp tablets of some description and use a product in your drink like hammer or gu to keep yourself going. I didnt stop for food or drinks at any point i just had gel's, cramp tablets (saved my ass) and the stuff in my watter (hammer perpetuem). Ive lernt a lot about all these gel's and watter additives and i never beleive they work trust me they do. BUT if your going to use them at the otway start training with them now as the last thing you need is to introduce new stuff to your body the day of the race

Bodin

GMBC
Howdy Otway Farkers,

I'm keen to get an idea of what Farkers are doing out there to get ready for this. This will be my first 100 km event and I'm interested to know what people are planning to prepare themselves from here on in. Keep in mind that I'm there to finish it,not to win it so I'm not after the guns perspective (although I'd be happy to hear it!).

My plan? Saddle time! I'm at bit time stretched so I'll try to do two 2 hour rides during the week and then get one of 4 or 5 on the weekend. Outside that run 2 or 3 times a week at lunch and keep riding to and from work (only 15 mins each way).

Cheers,

Coast
That sounds like a pretty good plan to me - add in Craig's advice on hill training and nutrition and you'll be in good shape. I used almost the exact same plan you've come up with to prepare for the Simpson Desert race a few years ago and it did me well (I got 4th), but the main difference was that I was doing it for nine months instead of the two you've got.

Stick to the plan, but not at the risk of injury. Start now with half of the plan (same number of training sessions, but only half as long) and aim to get to the full plan in 2 - 4 weeks' time by slowly building up to it. If you're still injury free by then, go hell for leather for two weeks (same rides/runs, but ride/run at high intensity at every opportunity) before tapering off for the two weeks leading up to the race.

At all times, back off at any sign of an injury and maintain your body properly with gentle flexibility work and proper nutrition - eat for recovery, not energy, as you need to train your body to work without energy and if you recover properly between training sessions, your next session will be a better one.

Also, look out for every opportunity to familiarise yourself with the course - especially the second 50km, when you'll be absolutely knackered. It'll really help you keep going if you've ridden there before.

Good luck!