1x10 without a chainguide

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Has anyone bought a RaceFace 30t NW ring? This makes the most sense to me as I can already make it around most things with my 32x36 combo and mainly use the upper range of gears rather than the smaller ones.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Has anyone bought a RaceFace 30t NW ring? This makes the most sense to me as I can already make it around most things with my 32x36 combo and mainly use the upper range of gears rather than the smaller ones.
Yup running running one here, has been flawless.

I combo'd it with a 42t oneup cog on the back, can ride up anything now. I still found 30x36 blew the legs up on long and steep climbs.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yup running running one here, has been flawless.

I combo'd it with a 42t oneup cog on the back, can ride up anything now. I still found 30x36 blew the legs up on long and steep climbs.
Cheers. Might just have to bite the bullet and spend the extra. Although I reckon I might go 32 with the 40 tooth cassette ring. Do I need to get a new chain though? I have a Dura Ace one just laying around I could use/

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I reckon keep the 32 you have now and go the 42 rear. It will give you good cruising speed and a gear for the flats but still climb well with a bail out for when your legs go.

I'm looking at a 42 oneup and only considered a 30 or 28 front as I'm planning on hooking up a trailer

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I reckon keep the 32 you have now and go the 42 rear. It will give you good cruising speed and a gear for the flats but still climb well with a bail out for when your legs go.

I'm looking at a 42 oneup and only considered a 30 or 28 front as I'm planning on hooking up a trailer
I've just ditched the big ring on my Deore 3x and use the 32t on it 99% of the time but I have the 24t as a bail out, which I haven't had to use in anger yet. I would love to piss my FD and shifter off though seeing as I rarely use it. Maybe a Works 32t ring and then get the 40t One Up when/if I need it.

For the people in the know, what gives the best ratio. A 30t up front and a 40t rear or a 32t front with the 42t rear. I have an XT clutch RD long cage, deore cranks on a Trek Fuel 8 riding lots of local XC track and steep fire road that I can climb using my 32/36 at the moment.

Last edited:

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I've been running one for 6 months, no probs. On a 29ers hardtail I find the gear range perfect aside from flat sealed roads but I can put up with that for the rare occasion I want to pedal (not downhill) faster than 35km/h.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
For the people in the know, what gives the best ratio. A 30t up front and a 40t rear or a 32t front with the 42t rear. I have an XT clutch RD long cage, deore cranks on a Trek Fuel 8 riding lots of local XC track and steep fire road that I can climb using my 32/36 at the moment.
http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/

Both give the same ratio at 1.5, basically 30x40 you'll save a few grams, by going 32x42 you a slightly more oomph as the pace pics up. I'd probably go 32x42 as running out of gears annoys me when it happens.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^Whoa! That's pretty clever.

However, I'll wait for some reviews to see if this actually works first. The 16T didn't work well for me.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ah, screw it. I just ordered one.

Edit: Well I would, but they won't ship to Australia yet. :tsk:

Last edited:

marc.r

Likes Dirt
anyone gone 40 or 42 with sram cassette and x9 typ2 RD recently? please bestow on me your findings.

ive got a new bike that has a granny ring and after 6 months running 34 tooth with 11-36 using a granny ring is almost as good as a warm bath... soooooo easy on slow techy climbs makes me feel like im in an armchair just relaxing my way up. i dont know if im ready to go back to really using my quads so im thinking of being a slacker and starting with a 30tooth NW and then maybe a 40 tooth rear.. that being said i will prob just deal with it once i get a 30 tooth front and not bother with the range extended cassette.... 100 bucks for a single cog is daylight robbery... in 12 months time they will be 50 bucks or less.

kwikee

Likes Dirt
So does a 96bcd NW ring exist yet? I've just found out my '14 XT cranks (m782) are this new stupid size. Why would Shimano do that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
So does a 96bcd NW ring exist yet? I've just found out my '14 XT cranks (m782) are this new stupid size. Why would Shimano do that?

Ha Ha(not), I got bit in the arse by that too with new XO1 DH cranks. Are they the same BCD or did the big Ss conspire against us again?
I have a new 30tooth narrow wide Sram that I couldn't get to work on my Zerode(needed 32tooth). If you'd like to buy it, PM me.
Edit:- Just googled it. My Sram Chain ring is 94BCD.
XX1 is 76 BCD for the record.

Last edited:

kwikee

Likes Dirt
No luck. SRAM use 94bcd, just to fuck things up. You could potentially offset hone a mm from each hole but I wouldn't be happy with that. New crank may be only option. Bastards.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
No luck. SRAM use 94bcd, just to fuck things up. You could potentially offset hone a mm from each hole but I wouldn't be happy with that. New crank may be only option. Bastards.

Oh lame. Dirty.
Does the Shitmano spider come off like Scams? Different bolt pattern probably if it does.

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No, you still need to use the Shimano inner plate.
So, you can just buy the Shimano inner plate as well, and convert it.

Inner plate part ID for a RD-M786, in a medium cage, is Y5Y198080. Uses all the same bolts are the long cage.

Oh lame. Dirty.
Does the Shitmano spider come off like Scams? Different bolt pattern probably if it does.
Techdocs say it doesn't. No idea why they went 94bcd...

takai

Eats Squid
So, you can just buy the Shimano inner plate as well, and convert it.

Inner plate part ID for a RD-M786, in a medium cage, is Y5Y198080. Uses all the same bolts are the long cage.
Yeah, i was answering the guy who was asking if you could just use that to convert it. Didnt know you could get the inner cage separately as well.