1x10 without a chainguide

moorey

call me Mia
Hi guys... I have read a chunk of the start of this monster thread and a fair few of the recent posts. I think I know what I need to do but I want to be doubly sure before I part with my beer tokens, and I have a quick (!?) question...

I have a Scott Spark 30. It's running stock at the moment. The bloke I bought it off recommended I go x1 x10 as a great upgrade so I started reading about the pros and seemingly no cons.

So, it seems like you can get away with a short cage clutched derailleur at the business end - say a Shimano ZEE M640 Shadow Plus ? The rear cassette stays stock, at least for now. And finally the much talked about Wolf Tooth NW chainring upfront (or similar). Sound about right?

On the chainring - I'm still a little fuzzy on which tooth count to go for. I'm fairly fit, but getting on a bit! I ride Manly Dam / OMV type trails. Would I get up hill with a 34T, or is playing safe and getting a 32T the way to go? I know you'll have to make a guess at my fitness levels a little there :)

I'm a little lost on the recent comments about the Rad cage - worthwhile, or just a bonus add on?

Sorry if all this is answered in the middle ground of this thread that I skipped over due to having a life :)

Ta!
On a 26" bike, with reasonable fitness, definitely go the 34t up front (I suggest the Works Components rings, No Skid Marks on here distributes them, as I'm sure you have read)
Your cassette 11-36t yeah? Have you done a day of riding using just your middle 32t? If not, try it. Resist the urge to use the granny 'just because its there', and you will find you don't miss it once your mindset changes.
Zee shadow plus is a great mech (I mainly use them), but for very little more, consider a mid cage XT....purely because it leaves the option open for the One Up bigger rear sprocket in the future if you need/want it (zee won't run on it). I have an XT middy on one of my bikes and cannot tell the difference between it and the shorty Zee's. :thumb:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
and thanks Knuckles as well. It's an 'old' 26er. I'm a short arse and rode a mates 29er and it didn't do it for me I'm afraid :behindsofa:
Smart man.

I have 34/11-34 on my 26" AM bike. Struggled a tad at the beginning but once you condition the legs no problem. 34/11-36 will be do-able :thumb:

ChopSticks

Banned
Thanks for a swift response ChopSticks.

It is the standard 11-36 at the rear. 42-32-24 at the front (Deore XT). I hardly ever use the 42. Mostly I'm in the 32. Embarrassingly I'm sometimes in the 24 on a sustained techy climb.
no worried dude!

When you say sometimes...how often is that when you drop into 24T?
do you want to ride hard/stronger/fitter? if so, then jump to a 34T up front..... however if you feel you NEED the 24T to bail you out... then either stay with the 32T or drop down to 30T.

I have the weakest leg out of my group... but i do alright (just) with 11-36T and 32T front... and ride Man Dam and OMV just fine.... 33T would be the sweet spot.... but just doesnt work with N?w rings :(

Big thanks to all the above responses. I'm pretty clear what to do now. I'll save more pennies and get the XT rear. Go for 34T or maybe a 32T based on what ChopSticks has just said.

Good advice on trying a few rides out ignoring the granny. I had that in mind, just wanted to do the ground work / was being impatient. I think I need to get out on the trails with my current set up and take careful note of exactly what gears I'm using. I'm often just concentrating on the terrain and flick till I feel comfortable without actually knowing what gears I'm in at the rear (rank amateur I know!) :eek:hwell:

Last edited:

treble

Likes Dirt
+1 for the 34 x 11-36 combo. I run it on both my xc and am bikes. Wouldn't consider myself hugely fit but Never find myself missing the granny ring.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Good advice on trying a few rides out ignoring the granny. I had that in mind, just wanted to do the ground work / was being impatient. I think I need to get out on the trails with my current set up and take careful note of exactly what gears I'm using./QUOTE]

Just use the limit screw to lock the front mech out of the granny, you can't be tempted/distracted into dropping down then. Surprisingly fast for the body to adapt when you have no other option.

acads

Likes Dirt
+1 for the 34 x 11-36 combo. I run it on both my xc and am bikes. Wouldn't consider myself hugely fit but Never find myself missing the granny ring.

Also part of the 34 x 11-36 gang , being used on the cool kids 27.5 wheel size . Gear range has been very good so far with a top end of around 40km/ with a little left if you really want to spin those cranks .

Zac Hinton

St Bernard
I'm running a 30 tooth narrow wide ring with a zee rear derailleur and xt shifter (10 speed) on a 26 inch 5.5 inch dually. Haven't dropped a chain yet in the two months. 11-36 cassette is fine for me, I don't feel like I'm running out of gears at either end. Saved some weight, less complicated and less things to break. More clearance over logs as well. If I was fitter I would change to 32 tooth but can't imagine going 34.

Danny B

Likes Dirt
Thought this may be of interest to some.

Having been so impressed with the 1x10 setup on my trail bike. I have now converted my cross bike to a clutched 1x10 setup too.

RaceFace NW 110 x 40T ring
Sram X7 Type 2 RD
11-36T Cassette
Sram Rival DoubleTap Shifters (left lever has been 'untapped' - shifting mechanism removed)

Initial impressions is that the 40x11-36 will give me ample range for CX, gravel and commuting duties - I only lose the equivelant of one top gear (48x11). Okay the gear jumps are probably too drastic for real racers but for racks like me I think I'll be just fine.

And perhaps one of the nicest things about this setup is that it is deadly quiet - as quiet as any singlespeed I have owned.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Thought this may be of interest to some.

Having been so impressed with the 1x10 setup on my trail bike. I have now converted my cross bike to a clutched 1x10 setup too.

RaceFace NW 110 x 40T ring
Sram X7 Type 2 RD
11-36T Cassette
Sram Rival DoubleTap Shifters (left lever has been 'untapped' - shifting mechanism removed)

Initial impressions is that the 40x11-36 will give me ample range for CX, gravel and commuting duties - I only lose the equivelant of one top gear (48x11). Okay the gear jumps are probably too drastic for real racers but for racks like me I think I'll be just fine.

And perhaps one of the nicest things about this setup is that it is deadly quiet - as quiet as any singlespeed I have owned.
due to the amount of chain wrap over a large chainring, you don't even really need the clutch (with a short cage mech and a correct length chain) although it is nice insurance.

one of my bikes runs a 44t ring, with 11-28 cassette and a sram force derailleur. never had a drop.

i love that you can gut the sram shifters as well. i have a pair of red shifters setup as 1x10, looks factory.

Last edited:

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got my 30t Raceface NW from Pushys the other day and put it on right away. Fits the bike and me perfectly. The 30t makes the 36t on my cassette feel super easy up hill.

ryanburke

Likes Bikes
Hey mate,

Im currently running SRAM X9 Type 2 clutched mech with a race face narrow wide chainring, and really pleased. Not getting chain slap at all, haven't had my chain fall off even once yet and I've been flogging all sorts of downhill rock gardens. Lose the guide and go sram!

takai

Eats Squid
Havnt been following much in the last week or so since the RAD cage got released, any reviews or feedback on it sofar?