1x10 without a chainguide

Nerdbox

Likes Dirt
Dropped a chain third ride in with the new Zee (Boulder, Youis).

Top guide goes back on.

NW is good, but overrated.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Dropped a chain third ride in with the new Zee (Boulder, Youis).

Top guide goes back on.

NW is good, but overrated.
Interesting, haven't managed to drop a chain since the rings came out, youies, Buller, BawBaw, chainline, lenght, clutch on... all that stuff correct?

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Interesting, I'm trying to figure out If I can get away with no guide on my enduro (with zee rear derailleur) ... Perhaps not
There's a myriad of reasons Nerdbox may have dropped his chain, from user error(set up, riding style) to products error or wear, terrain, experience, bike design and so on. A guide is more assurance for sure and there's silly light guides out now, but they still add some weight. Go a guide if you want extra cover and ride rough as guts tracks. Or try a narrow wide and see how you go. It really is the only way to tell for you and your bike. Maybe your bike won't like it. Not sure how much chain growth a Reign has, but I think it's a bit. Enduro probably a fair bit less. If Nerdboxs chainline was perfect, chain correct length, clutch mech and everything else new and set up, and it wasn't a rough tracks fault or weird back/forth pedaling or shifting, I'd say it'd be that Reigns don't like N/W rings. Anyone else had issues with one on a Reign?

treble

Likes Dirt
Yeah, I'm aware of all that. Just interesting hearing other peoples experiences. As for the reign, I had one before my enduro, couldn't get it to work consistently in 1x10, that's the main reason I sold it.

Nerdbox

Likes Dirt
Yeah, I'm aware of all that. Just interesting hearing other peoples experiences. As for the reign, I had one before my enduro, couldn't get it to work consistently in 1x10, that's the main reason I sold it.
Yeah think too much chain growth.

Chain lines fine and wasn't crossed when it dropped, zees four rides old with tight clutch on and ring is near new. Chain plenty tight. But I ride hard and rough... Got a Strava KoM on Travs from 10 that day if that counts lol

Oh and wasn't back pedaling either! Would love to hear from other Reign owners..

Last edited:

takai

Eats Squid
There's a myriad of reasons Nerdbox may have dropped his chain, from user error(set up, riding style) to products error or wear, terrain, experience, bike design and so on. A guide is more assurance for sure and there's silly light guides out now, but they still add some weight. Go a guide if you want extra cover and ride rough as guts tracks. Or try a narrow wide and see how you go. It really is the only way to tell for you and your bike. Maybe your bike won't like it. Not sure how much chain growth a Reign has, but I think it's a bit. Enduro probably a fair bit less. If Nerdboxs chainline was perfect, chain correct length, clutch mech and everything else new and set up, and it wasn't a rough tracks fault or weird back/forth pedaling or shifting, I'd say it'd be that Reigns don't like N/W rings. Anyone else had issues with one on a Reign?
No issue with my Reign here (XT/RF32t), and i quite commonly ride it like a DH rig. Havnt dropped a chain in the last few months since switching to 1x10 rather than 1x9.
Still hasnt solved my ability to pedal though ;)

On another matter, i remember something about some XT cranks having funny issues with some rings etc. Something about the shape of the tabs getting in the way. Anyone using M785s with a RaceFace 32T ring?

Last edited:

acads

Likes Dirt
Chris , XT cranks running the Wolf 32NW ( not sure about other brands ) need to have the crank tabs filed back on an angle to clear the chain .

takai

Eats Squid
Chris , XT cranks running the Wolf 32NW ( not sure about other brands ) need to have the crank tabs filed back on an angle to clear the chain .
Thanks mate. May as well get Zee cranks for the play bike then, as the Hones are just as light as the XTs in single ring I think.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Hello Ladies.

So lately I've ended up in my lower few cogs on the cassette as I get faster and I was noticing quite a lot of chain slap...
Previously I was normally in the lower-middle of the cassette where things are still pretty good.
So, I investigated and noticed my chain is super slack on the 11t - as pictured below:

Now, I've never dropped a chain (somehow) - it's just super noisy and starting to chip a fair bit of paint from under the chainstay closest to the front ring.
I get the feeling this is still WAY too slack/loose, yet up on the 36t the derailleur is super close to being at full extension, and the chain is quite tight - as pictured below:

That's as much as I can squeeze the chain in before the derailleur starts to move.

What can I do about this?
Surely I can't remove another link...?

Am I doomed?

I don't think it was this slack with my old chain, only since my LBS threw on a new XT chain... :/
Maybe it does need another link gone? But my Zee is already pretty extended on the 36t...

HMMM.

takai

Eats Squid
Nah. The zee isnr at full extension there.
That said when I went 1x10 I went with the XT med cage so I had room to move with the chain growth.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Nah. The zee isnr at full extension there.
That said when I went 1x10 I went with the XT med cage so I had room to move with the chain growth.
Seems close... I can't move it too much further.
I am considering moving to an XT mid-cage so I can look into 40 or 42t options, but would that solve my issue here?
Being that it's only shit on the 11t?

And if I moved to a mid-cage, I'd have to get a new chain too, yeah?
Seeing as this one may be too short now.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
floppy chain is due to the low chain wrap on a zee. (yours is FR, not DH spec correct?)
it will definitely move more though, the bottom cage of the mech will go horizontal if required, although not ideal.

removing a link will help, but might not give you enough chain for when the shock bottoms out in a low gear. ideally you need more chain wrap, ie a mid cage mech.
chain length is independent of the mech, that chain will be fine.

it's probably not dropped as when you sit on the big the sag takes up most of the slack. still, a mid cage will likely solve all your problems. except herpes.

Last edited:

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Hmm I'm happy with the 32t on the front, and if a mid cage derailleur will solve my problems I might just order an M786 mid cage, M780 i-spec shifter (to clean up my bars a little - plus the Zee shifter is a bit chunky) and a new XT chain as I've had this one for 6 months and it's starting to shift a little funny so it might be time for a replacement anyway.

Only $166 all together - which will come down after I use my 'mystery voucher' I got from CRC with yesterday's delivery.

Thanks goizzzzz.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Chain is too long. Plain and simple.

Wasting your cashola replacing everything.
Well, I wanted a mid anyway for maybe a Hope 40t and it's getting close to new chain time so I may as well buy some new shit.

I'll chuck up a sale thread for my Zee derailleur and shifter when the new gear is here in case anyone here is looking to make the move to 1x10 on the cheap. :)

Last edited: