Chunt of the year.

cammas

Seamstress
I’ve actually found a way to stay safe riding on the roads.
If you wear work boots and tradie gear while riding people seem to assume you’re on the pushy because you lost your license from drink driving and feel sorry for you (I’m assuming here as I’ve never asked them but my scienceing has proven it) and are suddenly all courteous and friendly.
I’m not even kidding.
You are not alone in your thinking

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
But the problem it’s ingrained into our society and don’t think this forum is free from of it, I’ve seen the comments on other incidents (granted not as bad this) “it’s only a roadie” comments still come out. Like it or not we are known for it.
The other big argument is “pay your rego” because according to everyone who hates cyclists that’s the only thing pays for our roads:rolleyes:
The rego idea / argument is insane. Absolutely INSANE!!!

My mate Dan joked he agreed with Wendy Harmer re: mowing down cyclists. When I mentioned the story about how my colleague was almost killed when a motorist ran her down, he wasn't laughing. It's like an engrained hate.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
The rego idea / argument is insane. Absolutely INSANE!!!
Those baying for bicycle rego can draft up how they expect this to work. Oh, too hard for them to figure out? Good, moving on to real issues...

My mate Dan joked he agreed with Wendy Harmer re: mowing down cyclists. When I mentioned the story about how my colleague was almost killed when a motorist ran her down, he wasn't laughing. It's like an engrained hate.
That's fucked up. Is she ok?

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
If you wear work boots and tradie gear while riding people seem to assume you’re on the pushy because you lost your license from drink driving and feel sorry for you (I’m assuming here as I’ve never asked them but my scienceing has proven it) and are suddenly all courteous and friendly.
I’m not even kidding.
Blundies or Redback boots? I find the latter is inconsistent for pedal placement in the event of putting a foot down. Because I stop at red lights and stop signs, and my trackstanding game is rusty.

Paging #shoebrandofchoice to develop a work boot looking mtb shoe.

Maybe we need to have a mullet attachment to stick to our helmets for more cred? On second thoughts, fuck that abomination of a hairstyle.

cammas

Seamstress
Blundies or Redback boots? I find the latter is inconsistent for pedal placement in the event of putting a foot down. Because I stop at red lights and stop signs, and my trackstanding game is rusty.

Maybe we need to have a mullet attachment to stick to our helmets for more cred? On second thoughts, fuck that abomination of a hairstyle.
Hey I use to have a nice mullet, okay it was over 30 years ago :p

Jpez

Down on the left!

Mongrels.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
For me if I can ride a bike path to get somewhere and it’s longer than the road, I will still take the bike path. I try as much as possible to avoid the roads, when this happened last week, a guy rang up the radio saying he just switched to riding for exercise from running and is abused each time he rides here in Melbourne.
I'm the same.
I ride to work 3 to 4 times a week and I'm fortunate to have a shared pathway 3/4 of the way. I avoid riding on the road whenever possible. There is one section that I ride still to be built and a local councillor wrote in the paper that it's not a priority because in the past 100 years no bike rider had died on it. The tiny brained twit would have no idea that only a couple of years ago a good mate of mine was hit from behind from a truck and seriously injured and very lucky not to have been killed.
1706816333049.png

Along the northwest coast of Tassie there is a shared pathway that is being constructed by multiple councils along the coast. When it is complete it will be over 100km and go from Stanley to Latrobe.
1706816624555.png

My commute is from Penguin to the western side of Burnie and the red bit is a highway section that hasn't been done and Burnie council are reluctant to start. The incident where my mate was hit by the truck was on the Wivenhoe part in the red section. :confused:

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I’m not even kidding.
Yep. Back in Adelaide when I actually rode on the road for fun I found if I took my flash carbon wankbike out wearing shitty gym shorts and a grotty t shirt I got zero grief (granted other roadies probably assumed I'd stolen the bike but whatevs). Same when I looked like a pov uni student on my pub bike. Just another reason not to wear lycra.

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
Along the northwest coast of Tassie there is a shared pathway that is being constructed by multiple councils along the coast. When it is complete it will be over 100km and go from Stanley to Latrobe.

View attachment 406633
Really great to see that Local Gov's not only investing in cycling tourism infrastructure but also ensuring usability for residents. And working together.

cammas

Seamstress
I'm the same.
I ride to work 3 to 4 times a week and I'm fortunate to have a shared pathway 3/4 of the way. I avoid riding on the road whenever possible. There is one section that I ride still to be built and a local councillor wrote in the paper that it's not a priority because in the past 100 years no bike rider had died on it. The tiny brained twit would have no idea that only a couple of years ago a good mate of mine was hit from behind from a truck and seriously injured and very lucky not to have been killed.
View attachment 406632
View attachment 406633
My commute is from Penguin to the western side of Burnie and the red bit is a highway section that hasn't been done and Burnie council are reluctant to start. The incident where my mate was hit by the truck was on the Wivenhoe part in the red section. :confused:
I catch the train as part of my commute (I live 70k's from work) from Southern Cross to work is 5k's by road which has some secure bike lanes but not all the way, I take the capital trail (I think) which is around 13ks so that's the way I go, I can do with the extra Ks anyway. Unless its raining or I'm tired then I catch a train to Collingwood then its 5 minutes (if I get stuck at the lights) on the road, where I see people driving on a very wide road but they still choose to drive either half in or completely in the bike lane :rolleyes:

Stredda

I catch the train as part of my commute (I live 70k's from work) from Southern Cross to work is 5k's by road which has some secure bike lanes but not all the way, I take the capital trail (I think) which is around 13ks so that's the way I go, I can do with the extra Ks anyway. Unless its raining or I'm tired then I catch a train to Collingwood then its 5 minutes (if I get stuck at the lights) on the road, where I see people driving on a very wide road but they still choose to drive either half in or completely in the bike lane :rolleyes:
Wow 70km! How long is your commute each day?
Mine is around an hour by bike, straight from my front door and 20min by car.

Stredda

Really great to see that Local Gov's not only investing in cycling tourism infrastructure but also ensuring usability for residents. And working together.
Yes, it's a pretty cool project. Still get the whingers saying it's a waste of money and that the percentage of the population that use it is small, but if you don't build it, no one uses it. Building safe pathways encourages people to get out and exercise, which indirectly benefits the whole community.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
To be fair, we don't have it bad here. In the past 17 years, I think I have had less than 5 run-ins with drivers.
Yeah it's mostly loud assholes on socials, but even on the radio this morning re the planned upgrades to our cycling network, a woman was saying that she walks and rides and found cyclists to "take over the paths in an obnoxious way" which is a massive generalisation and has an underlying vibe of casual cyclist good, serious cyclist bad.

How come no charge of attempted murder? It was pre meditated and planned and then celebrated and they gave no fucks
It's disgusting.

cammas

Seamstress
Wow 70km! How long is your commute each day?
Mine is around an hour by bike, straight from my front door and 20min by car.
I live out west in Bacchus and was working in Laverton then went for a promotion but the catch was I had to move to our Abbotsford site.

If I drive, it ranges from 50 minutes to a 120 minutes and sometimes worse on the way home, the train is 65 minutes if I catch both trains with no traffic jams and I can do my work emails so i can actually be on site for less time, as I know what has happened before I get there and my boss was happy for me to count as part of that trip as working time;). I was catching an earlier train and riding to work from Southern Cross then ride back to Footscray on the way home to make it longer, some weeks I was clocking up 100ks in commuting a week as I live 5ks from train station as well. When I was working at Lav I would go to the Youies after work and ride, so the time increased in my commute was meant to offset the time I spent going out after work and at first it was.

But with my health deteriorating I have been driving a lot and it sucks been considering getting a moto to trim time off, if my health and the ability to ride daily doesn't improve (which its not) by next spring I may just do that. To help with my health as apparently I push myself too much :rolleyes:, I got this to help me out
https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/in...made-you-decide-to-e-bike.321275/post-3577663

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Yes, it's a pretty cool project. Still get the whingers saying it's a waste of money and that the percentage of the population that use it is small, but if you don't build it, no one uses it. Building safe pathways encourages people to get out and exercise, which indirectly benefits the whole community.
You don't judge the worthiness of building a bridge based on the number of people swimming across the river yet this is the mindset of Government when it comes to vital active transport planning.

Stredda

You don't judge the worthiness of building a bridge based on the number of people swimming across the river yet this is the mindset of Government when it comes to vital active transport planning.
I once called a guy out, when he was saying that the money should be spend on another traffic lane. I said that if more people rode to work then there will be less traffic on the road and you wouldn't need another lane. :rolleyes: