Buying computer parts

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Just as a postscript, wifi is never going to be as good as ethernet. So I would get something like this or this and get ethernet for the mission critical stuff.

10G intel cards are less than $100 now and Qnap has just released a range of 10G switches that are ok priced.
My Nighthawk just shat the bed, would you recommend the Xiaomi mesh and I just buy modem to go with them rather than another all in one? I like the look of the flexibility of the mesh system as I can add more towers if I need them. For context I don't do anything that need anywhere near the capacity of these systems (streaming, couple of laptops for email and a couple of phones).

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
The Xiaomi mesh includes the router so you just need the NBN box. You can then add more boxes if you need to depending on what your house is like.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Litenbror

Eats Squid
The Xiaomi mesh includes the router so you just need the NBN box. You can then add more boxes if you need to depending on what your house is like.

So yeah need the modem which is what I thought. I can probably just use one of the Optus ones I have in the draw.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
So yeah need the modem which is what I thought. I can probably just use one of the Optus ones I have in the draw.
Do you have NBN, they've been rolling out their white boxes for a while. If you have the white (or the older black) NBN box all you need is a ethernet cable and you're good to go.

If you have ADSL then yes, you need the modem.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
ook.gg virus (hijacker malware), appeared just before I went to Melrose last week, Bitdefender warned me but I clicked on 'take me there', 2 evenings I didn't really have, scanning with anti-malware, removing registry files, deleting runs/autoruns and system files.
Now just changed some passwords that have been the same forever.

Was hoping for a ride today too, just sorted at about 8pm.

ozzybmx

And again.

This shit it getting smarter.

Even with Malwarebytes and Bitdefender Total Security installed and paid for. I have managed to get a Malware search bar on Chrome.

Its called 'Your Search Bar' and directs every search to Bing and no doubt thieving something if left there.

It started off with just an occasional redirect, then when I tried to remove it, it took over chrome completely.

Had a few goes at getting rid of it, downloaded a few more malware/ransomware apps but no luck. Currently doing a partial reset, clearing everything but files (Pics etc..) and windows reinstalls itself.

That's two in a few months, though Bitdefender did warn me on the 'gg' above, previously only ever had one virus in many years.

I'm looking forward to reinstalling all my apps, programs and shit, hoping drivers are still there :rolleyes:

ozzybmx

Can't say I've ever been a victim of this kind of Malware outside of Windowsland.
Malware gone :cool:

Looks like I have kept all my files, drivers and stuff.

Just need to install every program from scratch and login to everything again.

Bitdefender, VPN, Office... then the PITA Video editing program and all the add ons :(

But hey, its faster than it was before the clean up !

Jabubu

let you google that for me

Bitdefender, VPN, Office... then the PITA Video editing program and all the add ons :(

I can do without that hassle in my life, I have tyres to consider...

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Its called 'Your Search Bar' and directs every search to Bing and no doubt thieving something if left there.
How did this get installed? Is one of those shovelware options that is in a hidden or hard to see box during an installation of something elseor a drive by install lumped onto you for just mind ing you own business and browsing?

ozzybmx

How did this get installed? Is one of those shovelware options that is in a hidden or hard to see box during an installation of something elseor a drive by install lumped onto you for just mind ing you own business and browsing?
Not sure how it got on my computer. I didn't install anything in the few days or weeks leading up to its discovery.

I use Chrome as my browser and noticed my (+) button to open a new page was 'white' when I normally use the dark theme, also no google options at the top, I opened another white page... typed something in the search bar and it brought up Bing. Went into settings as seen there was no Bing extension, just this extension with no option to turn it off.

A bit of BuBuing revealed it was Malware.

gdgdhfgd.jpg

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Not sure how it got on my computer. I didn't install anything in the few days or weeks leading up to its discovery.

I use Chrome as my browser and noticed my (+) button to open a new page was 'white' when I normally use the dark theme, also no google options at the top, I opened another white page... typed something in the search bar and it brought up Bing. Went into settings as seen there was no Bing extension, just this extension with no option to turn it off.

A bit of BuBuing revealed it was Malware.
Good sleuthing sir. They are getting more craftier.

I will have to keep an eye for that one too, although, touch wood, it hasn't seemed ot have hit me yet. Those Search toolbar ones can be the worst. I do remember getting one a few years ago and it was pretty difficult to remove. I use the Via browser on my 'Droid phone and it has bene problem free for some time and is still quick.

ozzybmx

Good sleuthing sir. They are getting more craftier.

I will have to keep an eye for that one too, although, touch wood, it hasn't seemed ot have hit me yet. Those Search toolbar ones can be the worst. I do remember getting one a few years ago and it was pretty difficult to remove. I use the Via browser on my 'Droid phone and it has bene problem free for some time and is still quick.
Yeah, keep an eye on anything changing.

I don't mind a reset as it sorts the computer out, just a pain reloading stuff and logging in to everything again.

My email to Bitdefender asked how is this stuff getting on here and why am I paying for total security with live Malware detection and these smart viruses are sneaking on undetected and a full scan says it's all good.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

If you have lost your hoblo link @Minlak may still have some to hand out.