Buying computer parts

Dante666

Likes Dirt
Hi all,

I am wondering if anybody can direct me to the best online store to buy a Microsoft Sidewinder X8 gaming mouse. I have near no experience when it comes to buying computer things so i have no idea where to look. help me please, computer people

Dante666

Likes Dirt
I looked on ebay and there is really nothing there that cheap from Australia, all the mouses are American or UK with plain stupid shipping costs

._._._._._.

Likes Dirt
Have you actually felt the mouse? It's heavy and huge and kind of awkward to hold in my opinion. But yeah, staticice is good.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
What a worthy thread to revive.

Computer gurus welcome.

I have an old computer that I run Zwift off, its ok spec for the age (probably about 10yrs old)... cant remember where I got it, may have bought it for one of the boys a while back.

This computer had a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro about 3 months ago and every possible program uninstalled, it only runs Zwift. Nothing else.

The problem is, my Zwift has frozen twice lately while I was riding, screen freezes and ride is over.

Anyway, I do remember fitting a cheap TP Link WN881ND 300mbps wireless adaptor that I bought locally from MSY Computers.

So tonight I got up the resource manager and task manager, ran Zwift and watched the load, I then uninstalled Zwift and re installed.

See my screen shot.

The router is about 5m away through glass and nearly direct line of sight to the Zwift computer and my download is maxed out at 53Mbps which is as good as it gets with my connection.
I initially though it was slow loading from the internet but this seems to be not the case.

HDD is a standard 500gb WD

Graphics is onboard (no card)

MoBo is an ASUS F1A75 V Pro

I could probably (most likely) add a small SSD and reinstall windows and zwift on there and add a graphics card.

Any ideas why its freezing ? Loading stuff very slowly ? Takes ages to start up ?

Last edited:

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Changing to an SSD is a solid start. Will make a massive difference to your performance and bring new life to the old beast. You'll easily get away with a cheap little 120gb drive for your needs, and if it turns out to be something else causing your issues then you still have this shiny new drive with the performance gains it brings.

Windows isn't crashing is it? Just zwift?

Unlikely a ram or CPU issue, they'd give you a host of blue screen of death and haywire antics. Might still be worth looking at a better wireless card too, even if that's all the internet bandwidth you can expect it might still be stressing it out where a better card will cruise along with less risk of issues.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Cleverly

Likes Bikes
@ozzybmx hit windows and type in "event viewer" and hit enter. Then open up folder "windows logs" and click "Application" sub menu. Have a scroll through that for the Zwift crash (should be highlighted as an error within the log) and post a screenshot including the Event ID. Usually gives a bit more of a direction as to what's causing the crash.
If it's causing the system to lock, you might be able to pull an event ID out of the "system" menu as well.

ozzybmx

Changing to an SSD is a solid start. Will make a massive difference to your performance and bring new life to the old beast. You'll easily get away with a cheap little 120gb drive for your needs, and if it turns out to be something else causing your issues then you still have this shiny new drive with the performance gains it brings.

Windows isn't crashing is it? Just zwift?

Unlikely a ram or CPU issue, they'd give you a host of blue screen of death and haywire antics. Might still be worth looking at a better wireless card too, even if that's all the internet bandwidth you can expect it might still be stressing it out where a better card will cruise along with less risk of issues.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Cheers, the disc (C) above is running on max some of the time, a $50 Kingston 120 SSD would be an easy add.

ozzybmx

@ozzybmx hit windows and type in "event viewer" and hit enter. Then open up folder "windows logs" and click "Application" sub menu. Have a scroll through that for the Zwift crash (should be highlighted as an error within the log) and post a screenshot including the Event ID. Usually gives a bit more of a direction as to what's causing the crash.
If it's causing the system to lock, you might be able to pull an event ID out of the "system" menu as well.
Thanks, will take a look at that tomorrow evening.

ozzybmx

@Cleverly here you go.

It happened around this time, could be either one of them. I nailed it down to about 5:50ish.

Will pick up an SSD and do a clean install of Windows 10 and load Zwift on there, will disconnect the old HDD.

Cleverly

Likes Bikes
If you're running Windows 10 I think it's a known issue with it trying to run a TRIM on hardware that doesn't support it. You can probably just turn off the automatic defrag function to help out with it.

Windows key, type in "Task Scheduler"
Go to Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Defrag
Click Disable from the menu there.

You could also run a CHKDSK on the drive too.
Windows key, type "run", hit enter.
Into the small window, type "cmd", hit enter.
Into command prompt window just type in CHKDSK and it should run the check and auto repair any failed partitions.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
SSD is a worthy upgrade. Must do it.

Window's Resource Monitor can also help to see if any application is hogging any resources such as if an application is disc bound.

ozzybmx

Windows key, type in "Task Scheduler"
Go to Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Defrag
Click Disable from the menu there.
That was the first thing I done when I read the event :)

I looked at defragmentation and seen it had a scheduled defrag, unticked the box.

SSD is a worthy upgrade. Must do it.
Yeah they are great.

Working 12's all week until Friday, will go then and grab a $50 buck 120g Kingston SSD.