Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Flow-Rider

Burner
Venice is actually in an inland lagoon that's connected to the sea but it gets a fair bit of runoff from the Alps. They actually put in floodgates to stop it from flooding from the rising high tides but with the lack of rain they've had and combined with the low tides, its water receded a fair bit.

1677216448452.png
1677216945714.png

Last edited:

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Venice is actually in an inland lagoon that's connected to the sea but it gets a fair bit of runoff from the Alps. They actually put in floodgates to stop it from flooding from the rising high tides but with the lack of rain they've had and combined with the low tides, it's water receded a fair bit.

View attachment 397287View attachment 397289
Wasn't that long ago they were whinging about the buildings sinking onto the ground, now the buildings are higher than they have been in a long time and they are still whinging :p

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Interesting development in regard to hydrogen as an actual green energy source (if they can actually make it viable).

Nitrogen‐Doped Porous Nickel Molybdenum Phosphide Sheets for Efficient Seawater Splitting - Loomba - Small - Wiley Online Library

FULL DISCLOSURE: I'm no scientist and that read like "blah, blah, blah, science, blah, blah, seawater, blah, blah, blah hydrogen" Below is the gronk friendly article.

Hydrogen From Seawater: Australian Research Team Says It's Cracked It (msn.com)

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
haha. its easy to deride people for not sharing their views. This is one of teh biggest problems with academia and academic discussion these days. If you dont tow the line, you get ringfenced and ridiculed rather than being able to engage in debate and conversation, which is what it was all about before woke culture. He definitely has heaps of weird and fucked up views, but he also has some pretty sensible ones. Hes not stupid. Its just disappointing that with todays woke culture he tends to attract the extreme opposite side of people, which is just as damaging IMO.

Same thing is happening in physics circles. There's some amazing minds out there that are choosing to question certain established "laws" in the attempt of furthering the field, but are being silenced by other people in the field and labeled as "pseudocientists", like the theoretical work those people are working on has any more standing in fact. It's happening in maths, archeology etc. Its crazy. There's a current pushback building up on this in these circles from younger minds too so I think there's a lot of interesting science and discoveries that are probably coming our way in the next decade. Hopefully.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
He definitely has heaps of weird and fucked up views
and so he should be called on them, why the fuck not? If some of his sensible comments end up collateral damage then whose fault is that? The dude appears to believe that a meat-only diet cured his depression. That's just one of the many stupid things he's said.

1677537945236.png

todays woke culture
Fucking lol

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Interesting development in regard to hydrogen as an actual green energy source (if they can actually make it viable).

Nitrogen‐Doped Porous Nickel Molybdenum Phosphide Sheets for Efficient Seawater Splitting - Loomba - Small - Wiley Online Library

FULL DISCLOSURE: I'm no scientist and that read like "blah, blah, blah, science, blah, blah, seawater, blah, blah, blah hydrogen" Below is the gronk friendly article.

Hydrogen From Seawater: Australian Research Team Says It's Cracked It (msn.com)
Yes, it's a pretty heavy high level scientific document and the MSM one didn't explain in any way how it worked.
Like a lot of these discoveries, it will come down to it being viable on a large scale and if there's any nasty by-products from the process.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Ive had plenty to do with academia, and if youre credible (ie not a hack and can actually back up your views) you'll be heard. This whole myth around "alternative views" being squashed is bullshit. The bullshit gets squashed, simple as that - and it gets squashed transparently.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
and so he should be called on them, why the fuck not? If some of his sensible comments end up collateral damage then whose fault is that? The dude appears to believe that a meat-only diet cured his depression. That's just one of the many stupid things he's said.

View attachment 397377

Fucking lol
Calling people put on wierd and fucked up views is fine. Do ot in a constructive debate and argue an opposing position. Currently people just resort to air horns.

As to carnivore diet. Tried it? It's pretty impressive what a state of ketosis does do the body and mind.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Ive had plenty to do with academia, and if youre credible (ie not a hack and can actually back up your views) you'll be heard. This whole myth around "alternative views" being squashed is bullshit. The bullshit gets squashed, simple as that - and it gets squashed transparently.
Some times With air horns. Very academic.

These people didn't get doctorates by being hacks. They're smart. Sometimes they're wrong. But what's been happening in these circles is really a departure from critical discussion and debate. There no arguments to be had about that really.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Umm. wot?
Oh you're not aware? Not uncommon, for the last 5-7 years for speakers at American universities to be drowned out by airhorns during their presentations b3cause a cohort of students disagree with the views. To the point where now universities are cancelling speaking engagements, thus stifling academic debate and Sharing of differing views. This is the state of things I'm referring to.

Lots of google videos of this behaviour. It's pretty ridiculous- "we want free speech, except when we disagree with what you're saying"

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Calling people put on wierd and fucked up views is fine. Do ot in a constructive debate and argue an opposing position. Currently people just resort to air horns.
When you say 'people', you're talking about those who disagree with views you hold? Everyone?

Or is it more a matter of picking out one or two particularly shrill and poorly expressed comments and misrepresenting them to cover the gamut of people criticising the argument?

Woke culture, ffs give me a break.

As to carnivore diet. Tried it?
No.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
When you say 'people', you're talking about those who disagree with views you hold? Everyone?
No i couldnt care less what people think of my views or thos eof other. Though It would be good in general when people disagree with somones "views" they know more of those views than a 10 sec soundbite from tiktok or a cover of a book.

Or is it more a matter of picking out one or two particularly shrill and poorly expressed comments and misrepresenting them to cover the gamut of people criticising the argument?
Not really but is clear that many such comments (no necessarily here, just anywhere) are generally based on little exposure to the views held and just what's been heard in a tiktock reel or somone elses opinion of said views. Don't deny it. It just how most people work these days.

Woke culture, ffs give me a break.
I'm not referring to woke culture being a symptom of the views expressed here, just in the general population. Evidence shown by by hordes of american uni students that use airhorns to rally against views they dont like while crying about free speech. In any case i think you misinterpreted my intent with that comment.

point somewhat proven..

Carnvore diet is a bit extreme IMO, but the state of ketosis your body enters into as a result of it can be beneficial to many for many reasons. If fact it has often been used to reduce seizures in epileptics and to manage other health conditions.

Ketogenic diets helpe dme lose 40kg at one stage in my life. and keep it off. clarity ofmind was noticible. A common realisation of those that take on a keto diet. Is it healthy, science is still out. Some studdies show increase in heart disease risk, others show reduction in factors that lead to heart disease risk. etc. Interesting stuff to read about there.

Last edited:

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Oh you're not aware? Not uncommon, for the last 5-7 years for speakers at American universities to be drowned out by airhorns during their presentations b3cause a cohort of students disagree with the views. To the point where now universities are cancelling speaking engagements, thus stifling academic debate and Sharing of differing views. This is the state of things I'm referring to.

Lots of google videos of this behaviour. It's pretty ridiculous- "we want free speech, except when we disagree with what you're saying"
That just sounds like idiots. Thats not the academic process im referring to.