Little Things You Hate

nathanm

Eats Squid
All the low to medium paying jobs here, people just ghost the employer when they find a better job.
I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing, as its about time employee's had the power over employers. If you dont pay a good wage and more importantly provide good conditions then people should be free to walk into a new position.
Was reading articles this morning saying larger employers were expecting this to go on for the next 5 years. Though Microsoft are also laying off 10k jobs. only a matter of time before we see another GFC and mass lay offs start again.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
The bit I cant DIY though is the underpinning work needed... Sigh. Its been fine for 50 plus years, but of course as soon I move in it decides to move!

No doubt on very dodgy footings, clay soil and record wet years.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing, as its about time employee's had the power over employers. If you dont pay a good wage and more importantly provide good conditions then people should be free to walk into a new position.
Was reading articles this morning saying larger employers were expecting this to go on for the next 5 years. Though Microsoft are also laying off 10k jobs. only a matter of time before we see another GFC and mass lay offs start again.
If everyone pays top dollar, a basic hair cut will end up costing $200. The price of living needs to go down, not in the other direction. People are blindsided that higher wagers means better life, it's only when you get paid above the average wage. Everything goes up with the medium wage and ends up like a pyramid scheme. I've seen all of this unfold in mining towns and even with insurances. If the labour to repair a building goes up, so does your insurance premiums, businesses that pay higher insurances just pass it onto the end product or service, so the consumer pays for it all in the end.

Flow-Rider

Burner
The bit I cant DIY though is the underpinning work needed... Sigh. Its been fine for 50 plus years, but of course as soon I move in it decides to move!

No doubt on very dodgy footings, clay soil and record wet years.
We've got a 60 year old plus brick home on clay, we got one corner underpinned years ago then the other side of the house went. A gap of about 15mm opened up in the brick in the last dry season we had, later on with all the last lot of flood rain it closed up again. When we get large dry spells, I usually give it a good hosing to keep the moisture in the clay, and you can watch the crack get smaller after a few days. That's why you used to see garden beds around homes, but the bad side is that moisture attracts termites.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
We've got a 60 year old plus brick home on clay, we got one corner underpinned years ago then the other side of the house went. A gap of about 15mm opened up in the brick in the last dry season we had, later on with all the last lot of flood rain it closed up again. When we get large dry spells, I usually give it a good hosing to keep the moisture in the clay, and you can watch the crack get smaller after a few days. That's why you used to see garden beds around homes, but the bad side is that moisture attracts termites.
Garden beds around homes is generally consdddered a no no these days because we know better. The goal these days is to keep moisture away from footings and ensure that there is consistancy around the envelope. Usually via paving/concrete. Hard wit stumps obviously, but slabs, you wouldnt plant anythingaround teh house. Thats asking for trouble.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
@Haakon - is the house on footing or piers ?
like brick house / wooden etc
As a basic car jack, patience and packers my alleviate some issues in a short term
and yes i live in Central Vic - 100 yr old weatherboard - restumped
Which was a whole new world when moving from Sydney , where its all slabs and footings

Flow-Rider

Burner
A big upside of Tassie, there are no termites in Tasmania. That's why the place is full of old wooden houses.

Do that in Adelaide and you would be infested in a year.
You'll have to bring some with you next time :D . We have them everywhere here, I even had them in treated fence palings.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Garden beds around homes is generally consdddered a no no these days because we know better. The goal these days is to keep moisture away from footings and ensure that there is consistancy around the envelope. Usually via paving/concrete. Hard wit stumps obviously, but slabs, you wouldnt plant anythingaround teh house. Thats asking for trouble.
Even the trend of watering lawns is dying off due to the cost and limited amount of water, people laying that shredded bark around homes is the worst.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
@Haakon - is the house on footing or piers ?
like brick house / wooden etc
As a basic car jack, patience and packers my alleviate some issues in a short term
and yes i live in Central Vic - 100 yr old weatherboard - restumped
Which was a whole new world when moving from Sydney , where its all slabs and footings
Brick and (probably crap) footings.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
You'll have to bring some with you next time :D . We have them everywhere here, I even had them in treated fence palings.
Up in the lower Flinders where my shack is, you leave a piece of wood on the ground and they are in it within a couple of days.

I had them in a house before, was a mega shock to an Irish bloke... never heard of these lil chunts, f%#kin termites what ? Eating my house :mad:

My main house now is double brick inside and out, second floor is a poured slab supported by 450mm I-beams. Taking no chances second time around. PITA to get electrics anywhere.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
A mate built in what is probably the worst termite area in Bris. He knew up front and went steel framing and brick cladding. Bricks were delivered about 4 days before installation and all but one pallet fell apart when the bricks were being removed. He has had to replace skirting boards inside as well over the years. Bloody scary.

We had a work bench that was stored on the farm and the little buggers got into that. Amazing how they can pull 99.9% of the strength out of it so it looks ok and then you grab it to move and the wood crumbles in your fingers.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Up in the lower Flinders where my shack is, you leave a piece of wood on the ground and they are in it within a couple of days.

I had them in a house before, was a mega shock to an Irish bloke... never heard of these lil chunts, f%#kin termites what ? Eating my house :mad:

My main house now is double brick inside and out, second floor is a poured slab supported by 450mm I-beams. Taking no chances second time around. PITA to get electrics anywhere.
They can still get in through the tiny cracks in the slabs, the little buggers, and they can travel underground for Kms. We have double brick and they started to eat out the architraves. They go from house to house, people find them, then try to eradicate them, and they generally move on to the next house in the area. They also breed to a certain population and then branch off and start a new colony.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
They can still get in through the tiny cracks in the slabs, the little buggers, and they can travel underground for Kms. We have double brick and they started to eat out the architraves. They go from house to house, people find them, then try to eradicate them, and they generally move on to the next house in the area. They also breed to a certain population and then branch off and start a new colony.
I'm really careful now, the only wood in my house is the roof trusses and I am up there doing the inspection about once a year.

Had a bit of experience with it after have 3 different blokes go around my house and not find live damage I knew was there. I've pulled roof sheets off and inspected live termites in my roof, then successfully got rid of them. (termidore drilled every 150mm around the slab and soaked the wet areas)

I had an inspection done 6 months before sale, all clear. The vendors inspector gave it the all clear and I moved out... spotted mud drops in the bathroom a month later when the house sale had just went through, I had suspected there was activity there, this was on the cooling off period. I called the real estate agent and told him that we had a problem, he said clean it up and paint it :mad:

I was like, you got to be fucking joking me, the people who had bought it were 22-24yrs old, 100% mortgage and she was pregnant. It was a speccy house with sparkling pool so they were blinded by their first home. I told him I had a termite crew coming down and he must tell them or I was contacting the conveyancer.

The new vendors were happy with my find, were happy that I paid $2k to sort the problem and I would pay for inspection for the next 12months... not for damage or further treatments.

The are an absolute chunt but any proactive owners can find them easier than a $250 visit from a pest inspector.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
I'm really careful now, the only wood in my house is the roof trusses and I am up there doing the inspection about once a year.

Had a bit of experience with it after have 3 different blokes go around my house and not find live damage I knew was there. I've pulled roof sheets off and inspected live termites in my roof, then successfully got rid of them. (termidore drilled every 150mm around the slab and soaked the wet areas)

I had an inspection done 6 months before sale, all clear. The vendors inspector gave it the all clear and I moved out... spotted mud drops in the bathroom a month later when the house sale had just went through, I had suspected there was activity there, this was on the cooling off period. I called the real estate agent and told him that we had a problem, he said clean it up and paint it :mad:

I was like, you got to be fucking joking me, the people who had bought it were 22-24yrs old, 100% mortgage and she was pregnant. It was a speccy house with sparkling pool so they were blinded by their first home. I told him I had a termite crew coming down and he must tell them or I was contacting the conveyancer.

The new vendors were happy with my find, were happy that I paid $2k to sort the problem and I would pay for inspection for the next 12months... not for damage or further treatments.

The are an absolute chunt but any proactive owners can find them easier than a $250 visit from a pest inspector.
The decent termites guys have the infrared meter these days and a moisture detector, they can see in behind gyprock walls and tell if there's a minor water leak somewhere. The decent ones know where to look, I've had guys spend close to an hour looking in a 400m square home.

There's a whole suburb here built over termite mounds, the original developers dug big holes and just buried trees they knocked down on the site and then built houses over the top, then the main builder under the developer got caught diluting the termite insecticide before they laid the slabs. I virtually see a photo of termite tracks a month on FB, asking where the dirt is coming from inside their house. Even the POS builder I had buried off cuts and bricks in the yard to save money on land fill.