The stupid questions thread.

curmi

Likes Bikes
didnt wanna start a new thread thought ill ask here,
can anyone recommend a saddle i ride enduro and need a super comfy saddle that wont hurt my ass after every ride . ( i have adjusted my seat and its a little better) but want to purchase a new saddle . cheers must be in stock and ready to ship.
i am looking at these atm>
https://www.mtbdirect.com.au/products/sdg-bel-air-3-0-saddle

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
can anyone recommend a saddle i ride enduro and need a super comfy saddle that wont hurt my ass after every ride . ( i have adjusted my seat and its a little better) but want to purchase a new saddle . cheers must be in stock and ready to ship.
What's your current saddle, and what do you like/not like about it?

ie: I dislike rounded saddles as they leave too much pressure on my central/forward sit-bone, and avoid saddles with 'ducktails' (raised tails) as even though they're great for climbing I tend to bump my dangly bits into them when moving around while descending (it seems I subconciously reference the centre/flat section of the saddle as the location reference for saddle clearance, so anything higher at the rear I bump into because I forget it's there).

I ran Ergon SME3's for quite a while on all my bikes and mostly agreed with them, but they discontinued them and replaced them with ones with central voids (which I also avoid as they make my taint sore, lol) and I was finding the same region was getting sore after longer rides - so I ended up trying a Fabric Scoop Flat. Seems perfect for me. Good amount of give in the "chassis" of the saddle (approx 90kg rider), so doesn't "feel like I've been hit in the balls with a cricket bat" as one of my mate's described a Bontrager saddle he tried on a loaner bike. I also tried a few different model Bonty saddles early on in my MTB riding - all in vastly different shapes as they have/had a satisfaction guarantee where you can/could return them if you don't like them. It was helpful to work out what saddle shape I liked but every single one of about 4 different saddles were brutally uncomfortable (Hence winging it and buying an Ergon "unseen" online at the time).

Might sound weird, but if you ride with mates or even some of the locals at the trails seem friendly - ask if you can take their bike for a spin up and down the fireroad for two minutes and see if you can find something that feels right for you. Even saddles that look really similar can feel vastly different. Depending on chassis material, amount/location of padding, saddletop material, and even slightly different feel from different rail materials (You notice this if you have multiples saddles in the same model but different rail materials, and ironically - oftentimes the cheaper painted steel or aluminium railed models are often more compliant than the fancy Ti ones).

TL;DR. Try before you buy. Or roll the dice knowing a used saddle has bugger-all resale value and it might take a few attempts to find one that fits you comfotably. There really isn't a shortcut sadly.

Probably the only thing you can be sure of is don't trust @Oddjob when he recommends using a saddle that looks like it's been left in the microwave on high for 35 minutes. :p

Freediver

I can go full Karen
The best saddle is the one that fits your arse. I like the WTB Volt in 150.

curmi

Likes Bikes
Thanks for info .
I don’t like my current one as it hurts my fucking ass that I can’t ride the next day . I even wear cushioned fox short inserts.
I have a stock 2020 yt capra saddle like this pic attached .
yeah I would love to test different ones out but lol I can’t just randomly ask ppl to test their saddles out .
Yeah I might look into second hand ones as you said don’t wanna pay full price then don’t like it

Attachments

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
TL;DR. Try before you buy. Or roll the dice knowing a used saddle has bugger-all resale value and it might take a few attempts to find one that fits you comfotably. There really isn't a shortcut sadly.
I have done this dance. I've lost count how many saddles I have tried before I found a comfortable one. My favourite is some random cheap crap I bought from a bargain bin 20 years ago. But it is falling apart. Next best is a saddle I bought second hand from @Mattyp.

Good luck @curmi !

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
The best saddle is the one that fits your arse. I like the WTB Volt in 150.
I reckon you should get your donkey to visit a bike shop and sit on a few seats. My local would allow people to test out demo saddles on their bikes but the proviso was that whatever you decided on was bought from them. Not unreasonable and it was a very useful exercise.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
It can really end up costing heaps if you don't want to stump up for an expensive saddle. Each purchase is a crap shoot, you might get lucky, or you are buying another one.

If you go the expensive route, many brands have a change over system, so you spend the big bucks for a premium saddle, but you can keep changing it until you get the right one.

First things first though, measure your sitbones, so you know the width you are after.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Start with your sitbone measurement and go from there. Saddles come in different widths.

Without this base measurement, you are throwing money away.

Also remember as you roll forward on the bike, your sit bones are not parallel and the saddle requirement will change.

The saddle that works for you on a 160mm MTB will not necessarily work for you on a roadie.

FWIW I ride Spech Romin 155mm on all bikes but my 2 slacker MTB's, they have Ergon SM pro/comp in M-L.

dgsdfgdsg.jpg

curmi

Likes Bikes
I reckon you should get your donkey to visit a bike shop and sit on a few seats. My local would allow people to test out demo saddles on their bikes but the proviso was that whatever you decided on was bought from them. Not unreasonable and it was a very useful exercise.
That’s a good idea cheers

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
It can really end up costing heaps if you don't want to stump up for an expensive saddle. Each purchase is a crap shoot, you might get lucky, or you are buying another one.

If you go the expensive route, many brands have a change over system, so you spend the big bucks for a premium saddle, but you can keep changing it until you get the right one.

First things first though, measure your sitbones, so you know the width you are after.
I think all of us have gone through this at one time or another. I bought a bike with a Gobi (?) and it looked fine, was about the same dimensions as my other saddles and was just about the most uncomfortable thing I have ever tried to ride on. I have learned that the WTB Pro V (from memory) in a particular size is the one for me and I just put those on. In the trial I had a go with all sorts including crazy expensive saddles. Some of these I knew from 100m that it was not the one.