New bike time - suggestions?

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yup. They have said it won’t change until someone becomes a local distro. Seems Brexit has screwed them over. Invisframe want £33 to ship and a car hose I was looking for is £90 to ship.

@Litenbror @LPG @komdotkom hold onto your Birds they are rare now!
That's shit news mate. So if you arrange freight from your end and they just stick the labels on they aren't interested? I've done that a few times with race car parts when people wouldn't ship.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
That's shit news mate. So if you arrange freight from your end and they just stick the labels on they aren't interested? I've done that a few times with race car parts when people wouldn't ship.
Nope, only ship to the areas listed on the shipping page. Was pretty keen. Back to the drawing board!

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Cheers. Email local distro for some more info as Propain won’t send to Aus. Did your mate buy local do you know?
Where are you at? Just saw a post the other day on a local Vic shop called Chainbrain that are not stocking Propain. They are a small shop so not sure how much stock they will get but could be worth a call. Link here: https://chainbrain.com.au/

shiny

What are your requirements for this one?
29” trail bike. 130-140 rear travel. $4k or less for frame. Prefer carbon, consider alloy. Got a new 210x55 shock can be changed to 210x50.

3-6 month wait on a Propain bit over budget, payment up front and they want $750 to ship QLD to SA! I have queried if that is an error.
Nukeproof Reactor 290. Good price but apparently climbing is a bit meh from reviews.
Revel Rascal. Bit over budget. Just don’t love looks or colours.

Last edited:

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Alloy Transition Sentinel is $3300 from Supersports and there was supposedly some stock coming in July.
I'd do this. Can be dropped to 140mm travel. Or spend more for the carbon one (which has yet to be hit with COVID pricing) cus spending money on bikes is good for you. Apparently very very versatile, but getting one may be an issue.

shiny

@Tubbsy @Jpez @atty I keep looking at the Highlander. @ozzybmx who is local reckons it would be too much for our local trails and @The Reverend reckons it is a good trail bike.

If you could only have the Highlander as your only bike would be happy with it? Would build it with a trail oriented build (140 rear and play with 140-160 front) If some kid can pedal 1000km on one to race a EWS it can’t pedal too bad. I know some of you have had customer service issues and I sent an email with some queries to see how long and what sort of response I get.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
@Tubbsy @Jpez @atty I keep looking at the Highlander. @ozzybmx who is local reckons it would be too much for our local trails and @The Reverend reckons it is a good trail bike.

If you could only have the Highlander as your only bike would be happy with it? Would build it with a trail oriented build (140 rear and play with 140-160 front) If some kid can pedal 1000km on one to race a EWS it can’t pedal too bad. I know some of you have had customer service issues and I sent an email with some queries to see how long and what sort of response I get.
I've got mine at 150mm each end and it's great as a trail bike. Yes, the descending would be a little better with 160mm up front, but I think the bike straddles delicate + bruiser very well.

140mm rear and 150mm front, with an air shock, and a decent lightweight wheelset would have you covered.

Of course, I don't know your local trails but I'd imagine this to be a rather versatile set up.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
@shiny It’s just on the side of no for an only bike for me at the moment. A number of caveats though which I mean to go into in a long-term review.

I have it at 140/160 and have a bit of a hot/cold relationship with it as a trail bike. When I’m feeling fit and ‘on it’ it can really work, but it just lacks a little zest when you’re not cranking. No complaints on the rocky descents though, and that’s where it shines. If you ride largely machine-built flow it might be too much bike.

I’m in the process of changing it to 150/160 and probably coil, and going to add a short-travel lightweight trail bike to the mix. With that and the Paradox I’ll have all bases covered I think.

I don’t think I’ve ever taken so long to make up my mind about a bike as this, although covid and work and family have seen me off the bike for long spells. If I went back in time and could choose something different, I don’t think I would.

My customer experience with Deviate has been really good, although I bought direct not through the local distributor.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
@shiny It’s just on the side of no for an only bike for me at the moment. A number of caveats though which I mean to go into in a long-term review.

I have it at 140/160 and have a bit of a hot/cold relationship with it as a trail bike. When I’m feeling fit and ‘on it’ it can really work, but it just lacks a little zest when you’re not cranking. No complaints on the rocky descents though, and that’s where it shines. If you ride largely machine-built flow it might be too much bike.

I’m in the process of changing it to 150/160 and probably coil, and going to add a short-travel lightweight trail bike to the mix. With that and the Paradox I’ll have all bases covered I think.

I don’t think I’ve ever taken so long to make up my mind about a bike as this, although covid and work and family have seen me off the bike for long spells. If I went back in time and could choose something different, I don’t think I would.

My customer experience with Deviate has been really good, although I bought direct not through the local distributor.
I'll agree about the time it takes to get right. I don't know if it's me being more picky, not riding as much so having fewer opportunities to really nail the set up, but it took me a while too. Once I got close it just is ridiculously smooth. It also makes fork selection and set up crucial as it'll show up something that's lacking composure at the front.

There are probably lots of options and alternatives in the category, but I feel it strikes a lovely balance.

It's a bit more maintenance and the linkage takes some understanding.

I don't regret buying it though, it's very special to ride.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I dont find the Highlander to be a good trailbike. For me and my set up which I’ve only just gotten dialled in properly it’s almost as capable as my 170/165 Megatrail
on the downs but the GG is much more poppy and fun when fooling around on trails and not so steeps. Maybe in the smaller travel configuration it would be ok as a trail bike but It’s just not as efficient a pedaler as a non HP bike so the designation’trail bike’ that Deviate have given it just doesn’t make sense to me.
As @Tubbsy mentioned the bike really comes alive at race pace so if I’m feeling a bit chilled or lazy on certain days the bike just doesn’t come to the party whereas the GG is a lot easier to ride on those lazy days.

In saying all that I put a coil fork on the front which with the Kitsuma coil on the rear has totally unlocked it’s potential and finally just feels balanced and ‘right’, but for me it’s taken a while to get there. But I’m finally loving it. It’s an awesome bike. But it’s more an enduro bike than a trail bike.