Little Things You Hate

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Are solid state batteries the answer to the impending shitshow, or is that still a bit of a pipe dream?
Almost easier to go back to riding horses and driving stagecoaches.
If an utter genius can figure out an integrated horse sized pooper scooper then it is a winner.

Flow-Rider

Burner
The Lithium Cobalt Oxide, and Nickel Oxide chemistry used in the ubiquitous 18650 lithium ion cells that are the cause of these fires mentioned, has a very high energy density, that for mobile applications is hard to pass up. Problem is it’s volatile. Intrinsically not safe, requiring external monitoring systems to add a layer of safety.

None of the typical multicell consumer items I’ve had the pleasure of looking inside, are monitoring the temperature of each cell. One cell goes bad, suffers an internal short, it’s good night Irene.

Some of the big auto EV manufacturers are about to or have implemented charging cars outside only guidelines to limit their risk.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The smoke and toxic fumes given off from burning batteries is nasty stuff, sulphuric acid, hydrochloric acid, hydrogen fluoride etc.

I've been first response on 2 battery fires over the years and on one of them, I got too close and underestimated the danger of the smoke... we are just about to get 500MW of them too.

Not the best idea George.

Flow-Rider

Burner
The smoke and toxic fumes given off from burning batteries is nasty stuff, sulphuric acid, hydrochloric acid, hydrogen fluoride etc.

I've been first response on 2 battery fires over the years and on one of them, I got too close and underestimated the danger of the smoke... we are just about to get 500MW of them too.

Not the best idea George.

I smelt a strange burning smell for weeks in the house, it wasn't very strong, but I could definitely smell it. I spent a while looking for it, checked the old laptop I had and couldn't see anything obvious, check the RC batteries I had lying around and nothing obvious there either, went to get something out of a draw a few weeks later and the screen had popped open on an old mobile phone from the battery expanding.

ozzybmx

I smelt a strange burning smell for weeks in the house, it wasn't very strong, but I could definitely smell it. I spent a while looking for it, checked the old laptop I had and couldn't see anything obvious, check the RC batteries I had lying around and nothing obvious there either, went to get something out of a draw a few weeks later and the screen had popped open on an old mobile phone from the battery expanding.
I'm pretty good with old battery packs for RC stuff, bike lights etc... but FFS we have old mobile phones, laptop, pads and tablets stashed everywhere in this house.

Should do a muster and take it all to the battery dump in work.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I'm pretty good with old battery packs for RC stuff, bike lights etc... but FFS we have old mobile phones, laptop, pads and tablets stashed everywhere in this house.

Yeah, they're in everything now, those little I-pods to rechargeable head torches, I am wondering whether I should make a steel box for the hand tool batteries I have and store them outside.

Last edited:

Jpez

Down on the left!

I found a box of five 6s 4000 RC LIPOS I had from about 10 years ago stored in a box in the garage recently. Completely forgotten about. Puffy AF. 3 had dropped a cell but 2 were probably tired but all cells read ok and even plugged one in and charged it up and gave it a run for a few seconds on an RC heli.
But they are now in a fireproof bag in an ammo box up the back of the yard in the garden shed until I can work out what the hell to do with them. Any ideas anybody?

Flow-Rider

Burner
I found a box of five 6s 4000 RC LIPOS I had from about 10 years ago stored in a box in the garage recently. Completely forgotten about. Puffy AF. 3 had dropped a cell but 2 were probably tired but all cells read ok and even plugged one in and charged it up and gave it a run for a few seconds on an RC heli.
But they are now in a fireproof bag in an ammo box up the back of the yard in the garden shed until I can work out what the hell to do with them. Any ideas anybody?
Places like Battery world take them.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Drop them off for recycling. Most councils have a scheme for recycling batteries.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Jpez

Down on the left!
Drop them off for recycling. Most councils have a scheme for recycling batteries.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
Ah yeah of course. I knew office works had electronics drop off but didn’t think they’d appreciate 5 puffy old lipo packs. I’ll take them to my local transfer station.

ozzybmx

FFS, another day, another derailleur.

#2 son spent the last few days riding 9-10hrs with his mates. He was specifically told today was 'bike tune/fix day' and he needed to look at his bike.

Its running 2 tubes in 2 brand new Maxxis tyres as he's put bigger holes than stans, bacons strips and patches can seal and theres some creak from linkages or somewhere.

He pissed off this morning at 7:58 according to my smart garage door logger before the rest of us got up. Mum had given him 2 jobs, empty dishwasher and walk the dog :(

I sent him a message at 10am letting him know what he was meant to be doing and it was up to him if he wanted to come home.

Got the call at 4pm that he'd lost a pin out of his derailleur, which is no wonder as 40 of them had a whip-off comp yesterday and it slams the f%#k out of your bike landing at 90°... and wrapped it around the back wheel.

Well mate, you have spend the remaining contents of your bank account in the last 30 days, eating KFC's while riding train shuttles all day and going bowling with your mates while your brother work's.

Push the bike into the bike room and forget about it until you get a job.

cammas

Seamstress
FFS, another day, another derailleur.

#2 son spent the last few days riding 9-10hrs with his mates. He was specifically told today was 'bike tune/fix day' and he needed to look at his bike.

Its running 2 tubes in 2 brand new Maxxis tyres as he's put bigger holes than stans, bacons strips and patches can seal and theres some creak from linkages or somewhere.

He pissed off this morning at 7:58 according to my smart garage door logger before the rest of us got up. Mum had given him 2 jobs, empty dishwasher and walk the dog :(

I sent him a message at 10am letting him know what he was meant to be doing and it was up to him if he wanted to come home.

Got the call at 4pm that he'd lost a pin out of his derailleur, which is no wonder as 40 of them had a whip-off comp yesterday and it slams the f%#k out of your bike landing at 90°... and wrapped it around the back wheel.

Well mate, you have spend the remaining contents of your bank account in the last 30 days, eating KFC's while riding train shuttles all day and going bowling with your mates while your brother work's.

Push the bike into the bike room and forget about it until you get a job.
Ahhh kids who’d have’em :p mine may have grown up and moved out but not much has changed.
Had Easter at the eldest boys house and asked him if he’d fixed flat on his bike he slowly sinks behind his car “No dad, it’s just a slow leak” ok have you ridden it lately? “No but I should get out there“ :rolleyes: he works near trails and lives near trails but still doesn’t get out there, mind you back in the day he was quite an accomplished racer and talented rider, still got the talent but now prefers beer, fishing, hunting and chainsaws so yeah he’s a bogan :oops:

ozzybmx

Ahhh kids who’d have’em :p mine may have grown up and moved out but not much has changed.
My missus gave him 2 jobs to do for cash as he has zero'd his bank account.
He pissed off out with the cash she'd transferred and didn't do them.
Bloody dog was huffing... but not as much as the missus :)