COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Flow-Rider

Burner
thats what i was wondering - did we get some or did people just start doing the dodgy? because many places online have it in stock
I don't know if they restocked, I don't think govt authorities will do much in this current day environment that we're in, stopping trucks would be like putting a stop to supermarkets and hospitals. It would end up a chaotic mess for everyone.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Economic data released today indicates that letting it rip is worse than a lockdown. No shit Sherlock. For anyone with half a brain this is/was obvious. Even if you had almost no brains at all, a simple comparison between us and the let it rip countries reveals what an economic disaster the let it rip approach is.

Remember how lockdowns were supposed to be so bad for mental health but when the actual figures came out the number of people committing suicide was at the lowest levels in a long time? What about how tourism was dying but then the figures came out and the Aussies staying in Australia resulting in the domestic tourism spend going up by some monumental amount (eg. because we weren't spending money overseas).

So now we can add to that list the bullshit that lockdowns hurt the economy more than letting it rip. Sure, lockdowns hurt part of the economy, but letting it rip hurts the whole economy.

Now imagine if we would have sorted out our quarantine and localised lockdown approaches so that we could have maintained our covid free status. How good would that have been?

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Economic data released today indicates that letting it rip is worse than a lockdown. No shit Sherlock. For anyone with half a brain this is/was obvious. Even if you had almost no brains at all, a simple comparison between us and the let it rip countries reveals what an economic disaster the let it rip approach is.
there was no way they were going to take away Christmas and NY. The Australian public made that very clear to the politicians. After that, the horse had bolted. No other choice but to "push through". Heaps of euro countries trying on lockdowns now, just resulting in thousand of people protestiong, getting violent etc. China knows the score. They've oppressed their people into compliance over decades, so lockdowns are easier :D

Remember how lockdowns were supposed to be so bad for mental health but when the actual figures came out the number of people committing suicide was at the lowest levels in a long time? What about how tourism was dying but then the figures came out and the Aussies staying in Australia resulting in the domestic tourism spend going up by some monumental amount (eg. because we weren't spending money overseas).
Not all mental health episodes culminate in suicide. Inferring that lockdowns didnt cause more mental health problems is a bit of a misrepresentation of that statistic. Lockdowns did great for my mental health. My wife was the opposite. I think lockdowns helped those with various social anxieties while creating an environment ripe for depression for otherwise social people. Suicides being down is great, but we pumped a lot of money into making various sevices more accessible for this period to help. Id argue higher rates of funding those resources was instrumental in lowering suicide rates.

So now we can add to that list the bullshit that lockdowns hurt the economy more than letting it rip. Sure, lockdowns hurt part of the economy, but letting it rip hurts the whole economy.
There will always be winners and losers regardless of which way we go.

Now imagine if we would have sorted out our quarantine and localised lockdown approaches so that we could have maintained our covid free status. How good would that have been?
short of an authoritarian approach to enforcing compliance of that approach, doubtful it would have made a difference IMO. We make all these rules and then dont enforce them. Its a joke.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

"Best economic managers"

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Absolutely, but letting it rip results in many, many more losers (as confirmed by the economic data).
ah....but as per animal farm - some are more equal than others. As long as various interests aren't seriously disadvantaged, it doesn't matter how many more losers there is.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
What was a big contributing factor to better mental health (and not just lower suicide rates) was we paid people (incl. many of our most mentally vulnerable) an amount of money that they could actually survive on.
true. Though if you asked all the various tax payers if they would support this as a permanent feature in their future tax bills, you'd see a pretty quick shift in sentiment.

Personally i love the idea of a universal salary, though dont know how we'd make it work here.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Lucky we did as other kids that were turned away from the local doc have to get back in the queue and could be up to a month.
My wife called up on the first day you could book for our 8 year old and the appointment she got given was on Jan 26, she commented on it being a public holiday and they said not a problem…. Got a call yesterday saying sorry it’s a public holiday, we’ve rebooked you, now mid Feb!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone had luck booking in a 5-11yr old. Rang our GP. Nope not doing it. Used the COVID Vax booking site. Get to the part about entering age and we are not taking bookings. FFS.
i jumped on as soon as they were taking bookings and got kid in for tomorrow at the olympic park hub. had a look last week as we might have had to reschedule and if i did it would be 2-3 weeks before anything else was available, though at that time still a few slots for tomorrow.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
My wife called up on the first day you could book for our 8 year old and the appointment she got given was on Jan 26, she commented on it being a public holiday and they said not a problem…. Got a call yesterday saying sorry it’s a public holiday, we’ve rebooked you, now mid Feb!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got my booster on the 1st Jan after it was postponed from 31st Dec.
I still remember asking the receptionist, are you sure you are open tomorrow and it's not a mistake?

boyracer

Likes Dirt
Anyone had luck booking in a 5-11yr old. Rang our GP. Nope not doing it. Used the COVID Vax booking site. Get to the part about entering age and we are not taking bookings. FFS.
Just had #3 for me and the missus today at Wayville. Booked both this morning.
Our two 5-11 y.o. are booked in next week at Munno -bloody-para! This was booked in late Dec and that was only place available back then.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches

There wasn’t a choice this time round though. Melbourne’s last lockdown still resulted in up to 2,000 cases a day in the heart of it and the arrival of the Omicron variant would have pushed that up significantly higher.

Closed borders wouldn’t have kept it out as it’s already shown it can get past even the strict protocols for Antarctic research stations and even if we all ‘did the right thing’ it’s infectiousness would have seen it quickly spread amongst the hundreds of thousands of essential workers not bound by lockdown restrictions who in turn would take it home to their families.

That’s not to say slowing the spread is impossible. There is definitely still a place for indoor mask mandates and basic social distancing measures. The testing debacle is a clusterfuck of epic proportions but that’s what we get for having Scott Morrison in charge.

Hopefully once this wave peaks, we’ll be better at handling it and I’m also hopeful the experience of being inconvenienced by a dose will force of our more stubborn public to start exercising a bit more caution.

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
It's funny how they don't weigh people and give them a dosage to body weight, the second dose was like a bad hangover for a full week with me.
With vaccinations body weight is irrelevant. If you have a drug that has a dose window (think, too low, no worky, too high, deady) then calculating the mass of someone will give you their amount of drug/kg to make sure it's effective.... With vaccines, everyone (every animal) is so very different - you need to stimulate the immune system enouigh, and not over do it..... plus the pfizer vac is 30 micrograms... hard to dose that.

Source : Spent 10 years designing and making vaccines on an industrial scale for large animals....

Currently 24 hours post pfizer booster and axillary lymph node is really swollen asnd all the fat pigs joints are sore/creaky, hooves are the worse....... stupidly went to work today, stupid stupid pig.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
My neighbours have Covid now.

The lady works in a customer service role which traditionally gets busy before Christmas and I'll bet she got unlucky there. They have been suffering with it and it has sounded pretty nasty over the past week but they just got the positive result back today :| The gentlemen still seems fine but it must be like on death row awaiting for his turn to get it but can't leave since they need his help to take care of everything. They are all vaxxed.