Little Things You Hate

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I had a drunk interesting conversation with a local cider producer a few months ago who claimed most ciders came out of the distillery / tree factory / whatever the fuck they make cider in with alcohol at circa 10-12%, then most diluted with juice and / or concentrate to level them out. Depending on the concentrate used can make them vary in taste and go revoltingly sweet sometimes*

*recollection of conversation accuracy 80%

Hitachino do a good range of things, including some great wheat beers (a genre I normally wouldn't go near).
I definitely think you are 80% right.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Yep, I reckon I tried more types of beer as a younger fella trying to be a beer drinker too. Gave up. Now I'm finding cider a struggle too. So F$#king sweet! Even the good ones seem to be turning to sugar as a way of increasing mouthfeel and "drinkability.. Blah. Someone recommend me a good dry cider please.
Willie Smiths Organic (Huon Valley, TAS, but available at Dan's) cider is dry by default. They also have a Bone Dry version that is even drier. And stronger.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Sarcasm is implied when mentioning Chris King hubs.
They are good hubs, still riding them on my CX bike.
Hub standards are changing too fast these days to lay out big $ on them.
I would have liked i9 Hydra's on my Highlander but too fckn expensive when we are heading for 157mm.
I reckon if it wasn't for corona stifling innovation and component supplies, we would already be at 157 rear on most new bikes.

ozzybmx

Willie Smiths Organic (Huon Valley, TAS, but available at Dan's) cider is dry by default. They also have a Bone Dry version that is even drier. And stronger.
Crissy eve 2017, we stopped at Franklin in the Huon Valley.
There was a big Christmas fair on and loads of stalls selling stuff. I bought 2 x 4 packs of cider off a bloke, the brand was Simple Cider and the flavours I got were ginger and orange.
Drank one while waiting on the missus buying shit, just finished it and noticed there was bit of kick to these... had to get her to drive back to Hobart so I could drink some more as they were 7.5%. Not convinced on orange or ginger being in cider though.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I would have liked i9 Hydra's on my Highlander but too fckn expensive when we are heading for 157mm.
I reckon if it wasn't for corona stifling innovation and component supplies, we would already be at 157 rear on most new bikes.
I think if the switch was going to happen it would have by now. I was waiting to see if the 2019-20 models moved to 157mm in any great numbers (bearing in mind the 2020 and even a lot of 2021 stuff would've had the basics signed off before the pandemic) and so far the only moves have been among brands using DW Link variations (Evil, Devinci and Salsa joining Pivot).

ozzybmx

I think if the switch was going to happen it would have by now. I was waiting to see if the 2019-20 models moved to 157mm in any great numbers (bearing in mind the 2020 and even a lot of 2021 stuff would've had the basics signed off before the pandemic) and so far the only moves have been among brands using DW Link variations (Evil, Devinci and Salsa joining Pivot).
I 100% believe that if frame and component manufacturing was at full production, we would already be there.
Most bikes for 2021 got a new paint job.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
I 100% believe that if frame and component manufacturing was at full production, we would already be there.
Most bikes for 2021 got a new paint job.
Industry seems pretty settled on 148mm and another change would piss people off, whether they care is another question. Enduro did an article a while ago on it, We Are One also went Super Boost on their bike.

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/super-boost-plus-standard/

ozzybmx

Industry seems pretty settled on 148mm and another change would piss people off, whether they care is another question. Enduro did an article a while ago on it, We Are One also went Super Boost on their bike.

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/super-boost-plus-standard/
Changing 'standards' for small gains is all about selling new bikes and new components.

Manufacturers can't even supply the bikes to satisfy current demand so there will not be much changing while we are like this.

When everything catches up we will see the locked down bike designers new 2-3 years in the making designs come to fruition.
Superboost for all I reckon.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Changing 'standards' for small gains is all about selling new bikes and new components.

Manufacturers can't even supply the bikes to satisfy current demand so there will not be much changing while we are like this.

When everything catches up we will see the locked down bike designers new 2-3 years in the making designs come to fruition.
Superboost for all I reckon.
Yeah, just seems awfully wasteful when 148mm seems a-ok, hell I am still on 142 and that works fine.

ozzybmx

Yeah, just seems awfully wasteful when 148mm seems a-ok, hell I am still on 142 and that works fine.
We have the full range here, CX and Gravel still on 135mm QR. Fatbike on 190mm thru :)
The rest on 142 and 148.

It is a waste and it's been giving me the shits for a long time. Expensive hubs/wheelsets devalued and useless in no time.

I said a while back, just go to 157mm now and be done with it.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
We have the full range here, CX and Gravel still on 135mm QR. Fatbike on 190mm thru :)
The rest on 142 and 148.

It is a waste and it's been giving me the shits for a long time. Expensive hubs/wheelsets devalued and useless in no time.

I said a while back, just go to 157mm now and be done with it.
Or just wait for 165mm