COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Fuck. You've been living in Australia way too long - you're starting to get Australian Tunnel Vision! We were literally just discussing New Zealand. Famously the first country to eliminate COVID and to date the most successful at keeping it out and you're still saying that Australia are the only country to have eliminated it? Taiwan and Fiji have managed it as well.
Pretty sure Vanuatu and a bunch of other Pacific islands managed to lock it out. Some of those places are so reliant on tourism they will seemingly have no choice but to open up soon enough...with their piss poor health systems that is going to be terrible.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
My Aunty in the UK has had long Covid which sounds like it was terrible, she was off work for 6 months + and has really struggled since.
One of my clients has it too, 6 months later and he's just starting to feel better. He described being in a one meeting and needing to lie down after because he was so tired, he couldn't even remember what day it was.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Err Yes. Taiwan has pretty much been the flagship for COVID response since the very early days of the outbreak.

Fiji had a geographical advantage.
Hmmmm... our supply of Shimano, chips for everything electronic, cars and bike parts were in trouble a couple of months ago, that was... Taiwan, looks like it was a 'cluster' and defeated ?

link1896

Mr Greenfield
We have no choice with lockdowns. The NSW health system is already at or near capacity.

No lockdowns will mean a quick rise to five figure daily infections and people dying in the street. That includes people without covid that need emergency health care but can't get an ICU bed or even an ambulance.

You certainly wouldn't want to injure yourself riding your bike.
Oh Summit, if only Bin Chicken exhibited 1/20th the compassion and understanding you do.

Bin Chicken = MIchael Palin’s character

NSW people = Kevin Klein’s character

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Hmmmm... our supply of Shimano, chips for everything electronic, cars and bike parts were in trouble a couple of months ago, that was... Taiwan, looks like it was a 'cluster' and defeated ?
The chip shortage is largely driven by a drought that's fucked up the manufacturing process for semi-conductors and just like Australia they've had to contend with spot outbreaks throughout the last year and a half, until Delta variant came along and fucked everything up.

It's a first world country on a par with Japan and South Korea in terms of living standards. I trust their stat reporting probably more than I would trust our own.

ozzybmx

On the surface it might seem like an appealing idea but logistically you might as well put your camp on the moon.

The costs in running a facility like Howard Springs are already astronomical and to be honest it's staffed by backpackers

Australia brought 300 nurses from Ireland on Covid visas, they jumped at the chance of getting a year in Australia. My cousin (20 yrs younger) went to Darwin to meet her 2 friends who had came here to escape the UK Vid shit.
She is a fully qualified teacher on a 3rd year 'covid visa' because Australia doesn't want to send Aussie backpackers back to the UK into strife if they want to stay here.
Stick it on a asylum seeker island and bring the current occupants here, they are clean of covid, good people and good for the country. Put the travellers on Manus Island for 2 weeks at their expense and that will stem the flow of rich assholes International jetsetting.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I think we've had a lot of luck here too, a bus driver was driving around with it for a week and gave it to nobody! How is that possible??!! I think lifestyle is a big part of it, here Qld and NT are all very much outdoors places. If it's cold people stay home...that helps
No lockdown fatigue in WA or QLD makes a difference too. A week long lockdown here and there is a novelty; too short to think seriously about preparing for WFH so we just have a holiday. Doesn't help that it's the best time of year to be out riding either - mornings are still a bit nippy with this cold snap at the moment but we all just grin and bear it, only a couple more days until spring.

Smartarsery aside, we were lucky in our recent Delta cluster in that we were already wearing (mandatory) masks when cases started appearing. There was much less community transmission than QLD Health feared, and they managed to get ahead of it before it got out of control. The bulk of cases were in families at home isolating, with a high level of compliance.

Minlak

custom titis
Just making an observation -
The Govt and the media hell the whole world have done such a strong job of convincing everyone that isolation and lockdowns are vital an necessary that any conversation around the fact the we will have to learn to accept Covid deaths as just one of the ways thousands of people die a day is utterly unpalatable to most people.

ozzybmx

The Govt and the media hell the whole world have done such a strong job of convincing everyone that isolation and lockdowns are vital an necessary that any conversation around the fact the we will have to learn to accept Covid deaths as just one of the ways thousands of people die a day is utterly unpalatable to most people.
They have, but in a fucked up un-vaxxed country like Aus that rested on their laurels, if you had a child or grandchild with a respiratory issue that covid could kill them, would you take the chance ?

Minlak

custom titis
They have, but in a fucked up un-vaxxed country like Aus that rested on their laurels, if you had a child or grandchild with a respiratory issue that covid could kill them, would you take the chance ?
I’m not offering an opinion on the viability of any option - the whole situation is fucked and I don’t have the answer - just an observation.

moorey

call me Mia
Is this because of his detailed reporting on the US election and voting patterns, stats etc?

You heard it here first. Moorey has gone full Qanon! :p
He mostly knows numbers good.
He often still acts like a dickhole.
I’m more over people who treat him like an infallible god.
Guilty by association.

ozzybmx

I’m not offering an opinion on the viability of any option - the whole situation is fucked and I don’t have the answer - just an observation.
I dont have a child or grandchild with a respiratory issue, I have 2 healthy 15 yr olds and the shuttle bunny and I are fully Pfizer'd.

It is f%#ked and how do those parents that have children that are compromised with lung issues feel about the vote wankers making a decision on their kids lives.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Yep, they're carrying on seemingly in denial of the fact that every one of us will die eventually.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
If I was comfortable that my family (kids, unhealthy dad, grandad in aged care) were fairly safe I'd be willing to accept everyone else being at risk I guess. Why not be selfish

But in all seriousness, it's not just the covid that's an issue. If our hospitals get congested it'll be everyone that suffers. I've had the pleasure of using our hospital system on a number of occasions and I'd definitely prefer that it didn't get a lot more crowded and overwhelmed than it already is. I don't think anyone wants to have to wait for a bed after an ambulance grade MTB crash or any of the other various ways we wind up sucking green whistles and getting wheeled around white hallways.

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk