Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Flow-Rider

Burner
No it isn't. It is their answer to the quest for more profits. The housing affordability crisis is a marketing campaign.
Of course it's a MoMoney campaign, the satellite cities here are a quagmire, they barely have enough amenities or infrastructure to support them.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
One bonus of COVID is suddenly the Government is bereft of the 300,000 plus taxable extra populations it imports in every year to keep its "growf is goooooood" facade going. Should mean there's no more camouflaging the GDP with population growth, an end to wage stagnation and less demand for endless poorly planned, badly built, heinously destructive urban sprawl*

*None of this will probably happen but it's nice to think it will.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
Douchebags driving cars and littering? You should see parts of asia, the litter problem is epic.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Yeah, I have read a few articles about it. It's not very good for marine life and plastic breaks down into tiny particles (microplastics) when exposed to long lengths of sunlight.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
This shit is so bad that it's a laughable joke.
Australians with rooftop solar panels could soon be charged for exporting power into the grid, under proposed changes

Australians with rooftop solar panels could soon be charged for exporting electricity to the grid, under new rules being recommended by the Australian Energy Market Commission (AEMC).
I was part of a team that looked at this 10 years ago. Rooftop solar is not some magic panacea that will solve our climate change problems.

Solar is intermittent, and peak solar generation doesn't align with peak demand. Further, current distribution systems are not designed to take distributed solar energy and transport it somewhere else. So you really can get localised solar panel saturation.

One solution is to build local medium scale storage, but who pays? If you let the distributors build it into their pricing you get cross subsidisation from those without panels (who are often renters) to those with panels who are often wealthy.

Another solution is small scale centrally despatched storage that is a condition of new solar panel connections. But then you have a grandfathering problem.

You could blanket ban new panel connections.

Finally you charge individuals for the externalities that they cause. This money can be used to build the local medium scale storage, without cross subsidising the rich.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Australians with rooftop solar panels could soon be charged for exporting power into the grid, under proposed changes

Australians with rooftop solar panels could soon be charged for exporting electricity to the grid, under new rules being recommended by the Australian Energy Market Commission (AEMC).
Yeah, its bloody complicated... This wouldnt be such an issue if didnt rely of fossils so much (or more accurately if we didnt have so many bloody fossils still on line...) and all the associated storage was in place to match all the large scale renewables we might have had by now. anyway...

The grid is changing fast in a pretty uncontrolled way (markets right?), so this is what happens. AEMO etc are doing the best they can, but when you let the market make it up as they go for this long, youre going to get perverse outcomes like this. Its a reactive measure and lesson in why its better to plan and set the rules for the market.

Flow-Rider

Burner
A lot of pensioners and or unemployed single parents have solar to reduce electricity costs, it not always the case of the biggest and richest, to just keep on changing the gold posts because of no foresight is stupid. Maybe they should charge these multi million dollar solar farms that are built miles away from major citys that just exist to make money and nothing else.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green

Charging for electric vehicles, charging for extra energy. I'm not all over this stuff, but it all seems backwards to me...

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
A lot of pensioners and or unemployed single parents have solar to reduce electricity costs, it not always the case of the biggest and richest, to just keep on changing the gold posts because of no foresight is stupid. Maybe they should charge these multi million dollar solar farms that are built miles away from major citys that just exist to make money and nothing else.
They do charge them, don't worry. Nobody gets a free lunch with the network providers.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Another wanker who just wants to invest in green tech to make some dosh:

This too:

The continued inclusion of gas in Forrest’s portfolio has drawn criticism. Gocher says it is at odds with Forrest’s green ambition, which he believes FMG has the capacity to deliver.

“It is a bit hypocritical given the language he has used around the climate crisis,” Gocher said.

“He’s clearly saying we need to take action in the next 10 years, but he wants to build a terminal that will supply more gas. It means he’s not talking about electrification [of industry] or trying to reduce [gas] demand, which is what we should be talking about.”

Forrest takes umbrage when asked whether his gas developments are at odds with his climate push.

“If it was just a gas-fired power station and a gas importation system, sure, take me to task,” he said. “But if I’m spending the huge amount of capital to make it dual-fuel – that’s hundreds of millions – and then on the other side of my life [spending] tens of billions to create that green energy and green hydrogen, then the Guardian really has to be responsible, and encourage people to take that big step and build dual-fuel so that they can switch to hydrogen when it’s available.”
Where the fuck does he quote climate science?

Safe atmospheric levels are generally agreed to be ~350ppm, where do his plans sit WRT meeting these targets?

We're at 420ppm and climbing. Even if we level out our kids are still FUCKED!

When will the general population realise we are in a CLIMATE EMERGENCY!