Older SUV, what's most reliable

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I like your work. Was planning to post the same reference :D
Will leave the next one for you. Fairness for all.

Honda have definitely lost their design mojo. Their design team must have lunch with the Mitsubishi and Nissan teams and agree on terminally fugly car looking things.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Subaru Forester are super reliable though need preventative maintenance ie new radiator at 190 k and a $2,500 head gasket , water pump etc at 220k.
Hilux of any year,mine is 1992.
Navara D22 is awesome though may need a clutch?
Depends on what you want? Age , price , features, condition.
I prefer my cars pre scratched .

safreek

We have a Koleos 2010 model. It is basiacally an X Trail underneath. Showing signs of age now with some small parts failing (door lock, rear tailgate latches, plastic around windscreen cracking). These are all common issues and easily fixed but not cheap.

It has a CVT box which is crap but so far has not given any issues. Overall not a bad car and has lots of equipment for the money. If you go down the Koleos path ensure it has a solid service history, which state are you in?

Decent independent Renault garages in both Vic and NSW will check a potential vehicle over for a fee and let you know if yay or nay.
The cvt is what's worrying me the most. Having a look at an 10 model today
Never owned a Honda, but mates who do, have found them the most reliable vehicles they’ve ever owned.
Oddessey included
For anything around 10 years old and more, its probably more about buying on the condition and history of the particular car rather any particular car. A badly kept toyota will still be trouble.

Koleos is a good bet, not just because i like renaults - a Koleos isn't a Renault - its a Samsung build in Korea with Nissan mechanicals. But the dumb arse aussie stigma about the reno badge means they dont hold value, so youre basically getting a Korean made Entrail with more toys for less money. If you're not a badge snob, that makes them a good value used buy.
Looking at one today
Where will you be taking it? Do you need proper 4wd or awd with some ground clearance. Link is spot on, avoid Euro at that age unless you are flush with money and deficit of brain. Give us some idea of what freaky stuff the vehicle will do and how many km a year, towing etc. Some good deals on petrol 4wds if you can rationalise the costs.
Nothing extreme, just a work shuttle that I can secure my stuff in. That being said, the potholes around lismore are pretty extreme, even by the standards of dirt roads
this —try CRV, but used car prices are up 20%, some tradie vehicles are up 40%, no new cars for 12-18 months in many models,...now is only the time to sell, not buy
Unfortunately I don't have much choice

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
People that dismiss CVTs tend to not really understand them. They’re an excellent design.

My pet hate is manufacturers programming in artificial gears to shut up annoying consumers...

safreek

People that dismiss CVTs tend to not really understand them. They’re an excellent design.

My pet hate is manufacturers programming in artificial gears to shut up annoying consumers...

I don't know a thing about them, any good after 150ish km. I am not shy on weird vehicles

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

But ironically the silence and lack of gears shifts of electric cars is a selling feature. Consumers are a fickle thing! o_O

CVT's are the perfect tool for the urban rat-race, and astonishingly reliable (as long as they're properly spec'd for the application). Manufacturers just needed to package a bit more sound deadening around the engine and exhaust to drown out the monotonous constant RPM drone of the engine on an ICE vehicle.

safreek

So far my considerations are 2010 Koleos, 06 cx7, or a 07 Marino. All with under 200 k mileage.
I do like the cx7 so what sort of things go wrong with them. Still no answer on dodge or Chrysler so the reviews are true?

safreek

But ironically the silence and lack of gears shifts of electric cars is a selling feature. Consumers are a fickle thing! o_O

CVT's are the perfect tool for the urban rat-race, and astonishingly reliable (as long as they're properly spec'd for the application). Manufacturers just needed to package a bit more sound deadening around the engine and exhaust to drown out the monotonous constant RPM drone of the engine on an ICE vehicle.
Ice vehicle?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
So far my considerations are 2010 Koleos, 06 cx7, or a 07 Marino. All with under 200 k mileage.
I do like the cx7 so what sort of things go wrong with them. Still no answer on dodge or Chrysler so the reviews are true?
CX7 has timing chain and turbo issues to watch out for. Ok if maintained well but like subarus they are sensitive to missed oil changes and poor maintenance