E-Bikes are not cheating

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't own one, yet. A new form of fun that some people don't approve of.... don't buy an ebike then ya wowsers ! A bit pricey and still evolving so like most new tech, they prolly will get better and cheaper in the next coupla years.

I don't measure my performance when I go for a ride other than by how much fun I had. That can be in various ways, what tech stuff did I clear/do well, what crashes did I save myself from, doing a drop off or jump better than last time. The demo rides I've had on a Turbo Levo were all fun ! as a bike mechanic I am naturally interested as sooner or later I will end up working on some ebikes.

moorey

call me Mia
I don't own one, yet. A new form of fun that some people don't approve of.... don't buy an ebike then ya wowsers ! A bit pricey and still evolving so like most new tech, they prolly will get better and cheaper in the next coupla years.

I don't measure my performance when I go for a ride other than by how much fun I had. That can be in various ways, what tech stuff did I clear/do well, what crashes did I save myself from, doing a drop off or jump better than last time. The demo rides I've had on a Turbo Levo were all fun ! as a bike mechanic I am naturally interested as sooner or later I will end up working on some ebikes.
You do realise that people only wind up ebikers because they are so defensive and easily wound up, and feel the need to justify, right?

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
People need to tell themselves all sorts of things. It is us analogue bikers that are REALLY taking the easy path.
The dude who passed me 5 times on my 37c ride on the climbs on his ebike certainly wasn't working as hard as me but he was smarter... fuck it was hot

Scotty T

Walks the walk
eBike races make me lol. A sport in their own right is true, but IMHO an unescessary one if you're not too unfit to race a normal (I REFUSE to call them analogue) bike. Going further faster because you have a motor proves nothing in a racing context.

moorey

call me Mia
Particularly when every bike is different, and AFAIK it’s down to honesty about whether bike is unmodified (surely at major races, NFI, happy to be corrected).
I know I give them shit, but I honestly don’t have anything against them, and will almost certainly ride one eventually.
Racing though...really? Nah.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
eBike races make me lol. A sport in their own right is true, but IMHO an unescessary one if you're not too unfit to race a normal (I REFUSE to call them analogue) bike. Going further faster because you have a motor proves nothing in a racing context.
I disagree - a race for ebikes would be every bit as valid as any other motorsport really. I just don't like them on the same course as us regular riders, the gap is too big

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Particularly when every bike is different
It's always going to be an arms race when technology is involved. An easy, but expensive way to fix this is to get a battery suppliers on board and supply fixed batteries. Use all the power you want but tis is all the juice you have to use. This would probably fix some of the differences between battery mounting systems and all that. Or maybe even just have a number of fixed cells i.e. 30 18650 cell limit. If you buy more efficient stuff then good for you.

Ultimately tough it fails because it starts to get to motorsport levels of regulation and as @Plankosaurus said, they are practicalldifferent sports at that point.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Only if you’re racing analogue bikes. Everyone having motors levels the playing field.
At the end of the day racing is fun, if you have an ebike why shouldn’t you race other ebikes?

People race motorbikes and cars. Same same but different.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I disagree - a race for ebikes would be every bit as valid as any other motorsport really. I just don't like them on the same course as us regular riders, the gap is too big
Only if you’re racing analogue bikes. Everyone having motors levels the playing field.

At the end of the day racing is fun, if you have an ebike why shouldn’t you race other ebikes?

People race motorbikes and cars. Same same but different.
Agree but still don't see much point when it's a bastardisation of normal mountain biking.

Also agree with @Calvin27 about what is essentially motorsport scrutineering. It is 100% a motorsport.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I REFUSE to call them analogue
adjective
adjective: analogue; adjective: analog
  1. relating to or using signals or information represented by a continuously variable physical quantity such as spatial position, voltage, etc.
    "analogue signals"
    • (of a clock or watch) showing the time by means of hands or a pointer rather than displayed digits.
    • not involving or relating to the use of computer technology, as a contrast to a digital counterpart.
      "old-school analogue paper map skills"
noun
noun: analogue; plural noun: analogues; noun: analog; plural noun: analogs
  1. a person or thing seen as comparable to another.
    "an interior analogue of the exterior world"
    • Chemistry
      a compound with a molecular structure closely similar to that of another.
      "thioacids are sulphur analogues of oxyacids"

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I am yet to do a day out on my mtb that has been as hard as some of the days I've had on my offroad enduro bike (eg moto) and I have done some massive days on the mtb (4000+m vert over 200km etc.). The fact that the moto want's to pull your arms from their sockets and the absurd g-forces on the quads adds up to a physical workout like nothing else.

But, it doesn't have to be that way and if you're the sort of person that doesn't like to suffer, then whenever you have a motor, there's the option to put around like driving Miss Daisy and this won't be the sort of workout you get having to pedal yourself. It's the riding you do when you're at your limits (of endurance or skill) that is the best training and with an ebike you have the option of continuing to ride without pushing that endurance limit.

I ride with my wife on her ebike all of the time. She does get a workout (and often a good workout) but it's nothing like if she had to do all of the work herself. It does mean we can do long rides together and at a good pace so I think ebikes are awesome but if you want to get the best possible workout I still think no-motor is the only way to go.
An afternoon in a trophy truck in the desert as a passenger, and having a 30 minute fang, I was more messed up then a 4 hour long xc ride with a OTB in the dark. Just holding on for dear life can take a lot of work.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
I'll give some thoughts on the bike and experience since nobody cares.

Its heavy and that makes it a bit less forgiving in the corners, you have be very deliberate with your turns otherwise you'll just veer off trail. This is fine though, just an adjustment to weight. Every other aspect of descending such as picking and holding lines, poping, jumping is basically the same. It's not better, its not worse and thats fine. Better than I expect because I expected it to be a lot worse than it is. I thought it was going to feel dead and clumbersome, but its not like that at all.

Uphill? Amazing, I had it in eco mode and I was was blown away with just how easy it was to climb. I literally laughed as I hit the first climb, I thought to myself, this is a joke, this is definitely cheating, ITS IN ECO MODE and this is climb is NOTHING now.
I mean I thought i had a nimble climber before with my 17kg Commencal Meta AM 29, but this thing makes that bike seem heavy.
Fireroads are funny. Put it into boost and just rocket up the road and watch as everyone looks at you with disgust and anger and then pass them without breaking a sweat... and then pass them again when you're going back down and they're still climbing the road. It's beautiful.

Is it a motorbike like some people on here think it is? No. It feels kinda like a stationary exercise bike in resistence but it gets going like you've got a really good cadence going on the flat, its not super fast and its not blow your dick power, it just gets rid of pedaling resistence.
If e-bikes are destroying trails something else is going on.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
adjective
adjective: analogue; adjective: analog
  1. relating to or using signals or information represented by a continuously variable physical quantity such as spatial position, voltage, etc.
    "analogue signals"
    • (of a clock or watch) showing the time by means of hands or a pointer rather than displayed digits.
    • not involving or relating to the use of computer technology, as a contrast to a digital counterpart.
      "old-school analogue paper map skills"
I guess all analogue things weren't known as that until digital ones came along.

e-MTB's still require analogue input. More confusing is when you have your smart watch using the analogue display.

I'll stick with MTB/e-MTB :D