E-Bikes are not cheating

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
watch as everyone looks at you with disgust and anger

I think they are great !
But as someone in the Wombat MTB Club said to me - be careful , it demoralises people esp if they are ' racing' -esp the Strava Hounds

Which is fine , i only 'race the clock ' on circuits i created in my tiny mind - and generally they aren't on the organised trails .

ps , faster you spin ( cadence ) the better the ride - it is a different technique - and yes , stuff is easy to climb - the most fun is going in reverse / climbing a trail you have always descended .
Great for E-xploring and getting out 'there' where ever 'there' is

moorey

call me Mia
The weight is a big bonus for my 12yo daughter. She’s not an aggressive cornerer, but the weight really adds stability for her in roughy terrain and rocks. I would say she’s faster at descending on it than her spitfire.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
I cheated my way to work today again in jeans and t-shirt, on my luxury motor yacht. It now has a stubby holder on the top tube and a custom modified kick stand. I'll have done about 750km on it this year by the time I reach home this evening. It really is a fun way to get to work.
Can you elaborate a bit on using the ebike as a commuter, I plan to do this once the back to office has come into place.
Are you using a emtb or an e-road bike, what tyres etc.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Can you elaborate a bit on using the ebike as a commuter, I plan to do this once the back to office has come into place.
Are you using a emtb or an e-road bike, what tyres etc.
This one:

View attachment 364875

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It may have been mentioned previously, but this is a good discussion on E-bikes;

Regarding Strava, if you are doing your rides as 'E-bike' rides, you will sit in exactly the same place relative to everyone else.

moorey

call me Mia
It may have been mentioned previously, but this is a good discussion on E-bikes;

Regarding Strava, if you are doing your rides as 'E-bike' rides, you will sit in exactly the same place relative to everyone else.
Except that I know locals here are taking KOM’s on ebikes, and not specifying so.
Also lots of corner cutting and new lines on our tracks emerging...because wankers.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Except that I know locals here are taking KOM’s on ebikes, and not specifying so.
Also lots of corner cutting and new lines on our tracks emerging...because wankers.
There will always be some!
In this instance, E-biking is actually cheating

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i find that amusing - 'stealing' a KOM on an e-bike in a mtb setting- your not only cheating , you are lying to yourself .

seee humans are dumb .......

also @caad9 - yes thats an interesting podcast - the Ben fella does some good vids too - he is on the money with treating the e-mtbs as a training tool to improve skills
( my opinion with exactly zero , zip , and , muffin of value .....but its the internet and I'm value adding )

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
also @caad9 - yes thats an interesting podcast - the Ben fella does some good vids too - he is on the money with treating the e-mtbs as a training tool to improve skills
( my opinion with exactly zero , zip , and , muffin of value .....but its the internet and I'm value adding )
A good tip/trap from the podcast for the newcomers to E-bikes is that if you replace your current analog MTB hours with similar E-MTB hours each week, you will likely lose fitness. Yes, you will cover more ground, but won't need to spend as many petrol tickets to do it.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I believe some ebikers don't choose to convert to e-bike not necessarily to steal KOM's but because if some of the trails ridden are not in Strava as an ebike trail then they disappear from the ride. Corner cutting been around well before ebikes ;)