work/trades...what do you do for a crust?

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
Firefighter. Still can, and will try again some day, but I want to get this trade done first.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
Firefighting is an amazing job. Every day is different; jobs are varied and interesting and internally there are lots of different areas to move into if you need a change from the operational side.

I’d love to study Astro-physics. Something about space and black holes seems kinda cool.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Photography is one of my distractions. Managed some prizes at exhibitions and had a few shots bought with real money but very much just a hobby. Just about got the gear I want. But the list grows. That is though a tough gig. Good luck.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Firefighting is an amazing job. Every day is different; jobs are varied and interesting and internally there are lots of different areas to move into if you need a change from the operational side.
For sure, I've got some experience with it having been a vol for 10 years now. Would be amazing to do it for work but the stars just haven't aligned for me yet to have a go at getting in again. Tried years back and made it through to the final interview stage.

Is that your profession? What service you with?

How did it feel being one of the most hated people in Melbourne...?
Nah, patrons usually had a very similar opinion on the system.
Patron "Myki is fucked"
Me "yes"

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

slowmick

38-39"
Have a mate who was a professional photographer. Amazing eye, did it for 20 years, worked hard and saved hard through the 5 - 10K wedding album years. Paid for his house and gave him the opportunity to become an civil engineer in his late 30s. Looks after water assets in Tassies now but still takes the most amazing pictures of his "office"for the day.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I was working my way towards being a pro as a means to get out of the retail job I was in, but then a mate of mine was looking for a printer-bindery hand-future production manager so I came back to printing. It's hasn't been written off yet..

Last edited:

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
I always wanted to be a film director (and still do though the dream is fading and I'm doing nothing about it). I've written a novel that's not been published, did breakfast radio and then drive radio on a community station for 7 years, worked as a freelance music journo for a while, made a few short films that were not very good and entered and won a few amateur stand up comedy gigs (don't ask me to say something funny - the fact that I never followed that path should be proof enough I'm not funny).

All of that has been on the side while I work in the very serious field of government advocacy every day... :(

I suspect that like a lot of people on here, doing practical things with my hands, like working on my bike, building furniture or framing up a new shed is a sort of meditation for me and a 'happy place' where challenges have a logical answer (the bonus is when the 'answer' involves using a hammer with maximum velocity!).

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Like putting in headset cups. Hammers are awesome, everyone owes it to themselves to get a nice like copperface thor hammer

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Architect. But no, got scared of the lack of creativity so I did graphics. HA! Yet here I am drawing site plans and minor modifications to plans. Guess it's half way.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Studied Mech/Eng manufacturing, but ended up an Auto exec with one of the big Germans.

Don't know what else I'd like to do, but have had silly thoughts of going back to school to become an accountant or work in law. I must be boring! lol.
Long term goal is to open my own business of some description. However as I dont know what that is yet, I'm still living the corporate life.