Blood Racing. How fast do you bleed?

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
New PB

Well it`s been a while since I was eligible to donate (MTB accident and illness will do that) but managed to smash my PB of 7:14 with a 5:32.
Maybe there should be a sub 5 min club?
Cheers.
MH

slowmick

38-39"
Don't go too hard Mad Hatter - they get upset if you go too fast. Squeezing the little rubber dohickey i can get in under 4:30 but they make you sit there for longer before you get your nippy's milk and cheese and biscuits.

Around 5 minutes seems to be a good time to get you to the goodies quickly :madgrin:

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
They have improved the snacks since the last time I went in.
You now get muffins, mud cake and decent fruit juice.
Can`t wait until they put on a barrista and have real coffee.
My enthusiasm for blood racing has taken a hold with the staff.
They now have a little chart showing who had the fastest doner each day.
Cheers.
MH

slowmick

38-39"
Will try harder in February - you got me this time - was around 6 minutes on Tuesday night.

Be careful with squeezing to much though if you are on the hairy side. i got carried away one night, the tape came off and the little bag fell and pulled the needle out. the nurse was not happy.

funkymonkey

Likes Dirt
How fast can you donate blood?
Ever donated blood and seen the timer that shows how long it has taken to bleed the required amount?
My best is 7:14 after riding to the blood bank.
What`s yours?
(If you have never donated blood before, here is an excuse to start and feed that competitive streak inside you at the same time)
Cheers
MH
Awesome post. I thought I was the only one keeping tally.

My best is 5:43. Bit of a trick to it. Cant just squeeze the rubber thing, there is a bit of a rhythm you need to keep.

On an aside... I used to wait at the doors on opening time every 10 weeks so I could get a feed (Parramatta) Croissant's, milkshakes and more... Best way for a Uni student to get a good feed other than pasta.

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
I get dizzy and light headed just getting blood tests. No way I'd be able to give blood when they need to fill up those bags.

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
This thread is great! I had no idea anyone else cared about their times.

My GF and I always give blood together and have a race to finish. My best time is 5:15, without pumping my hand.

Secrets to a good time:
1. Drink lots beforehand, hypervolaemia increases your mean systemic filling pressure, and therefore the pressure gradient for blood flow, and you don't black out when you stand up!
2. Drink lots beforehand, this lowers you haematocrit and therefore your blood viscosity, laminar flow through the needle/tubing improves with reduced viscosity as per Poiseuille's law!

*Nerd alert*

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got just over 5 minutes on my visit last week. What do you guys run for your hemoglobin? Mine was pretty low last time (131), so trying to look after myself over the next few months so I can get much higher next time.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got just over 5 minutes on my visit last week. What do you guys run for your hemoglobin? Mine was pretty low last time (131), so trying to look after myself over the next few months so I can get much higher next time.
They've always told me that I'm dead bang on normal (can't recall a value).

Often that little prick of thing hurts more than the needle, but I think they've changed their design in the last year or two? Or maybe they use different ones in the Vans up North?

MTBloke

Likes Dirt
I've given blood a few times at school when the truck comes...... Of course (bunch of teenage boys) me and my mates all race each other for the fastest time...... 1st time was 7:21 and the second time was 6:35. Second time I was watching the ml/min thing and found that it was higher when I didn't squeeze the thingy....... Funniest part of all is one of the girls (who is quite sporty) who wasn't racing did it in 4:30, fastest time yet....

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
Another effort at Blood Racing.
This time at night.
Seeing as it was night and raining I took it easy.
8:07.
Didn`t want to hurt myself.

Cheers.
MH

Skydome

I can't give blood.

No, I don't have AIDS, I have a problem with sticking needles into my veins. I've had blood test done before, they take a small amount of blood for those, and I got dizzy and light headed, giving blood I'd probably pass out.

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
I can't give blood.

No, I don't have AIDS, I have a problem with sticking needles into my veins. I've had blood test done before, they take a small amount of blood for those, and I got dizzy and light headed, giving blood I'd probably pass out.
Please don`t take this the wrong way, but suck it up princess.
Seriously, you get a nice comfy chair that goes up and down, free snacks and a nice cup of tea. If feeling faint, they look after you and fuss over you.
Give it a go. Hurts less than face planting into a rock garden.

I wanted to sign up for plasma donations but told I can`t because my blood is on some special reserve. Apparently it is used for a specific group (such as cancer treatment) or a specific person who needs regular blood transfusions to live so they match up regular donors. Made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Cheers.
MH

fridgie

Likes Dirt
Only just recently started, waiting for next month when I can go for my 2nd donation.

First one was very relaxed, just chilled back chatting - 7:12

Will see what the second time is and if I've improved lol

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Keep forgetting to ring them for an appointment. They said they'd ring back in March, but no dice.

BLKFOZ

Likes Dirt
I absolutely hate giving blood; I'm kind of scared of needles.......
I've still donated every 3 months (maybe missed 1 donation) for the last 6 years. Last time was pretty spot on 5 minutes.
The thing I hate the most is having people who cannot give blood for whatever reason trying and making me wait longer while they try each arm, drink water, squeeze the thingy to pump up veins for it not to work anyway.... If you're a 45kg 19 year old who thinks a couple of water crackers is lunch, chances are you can't spare much blood anyway......

Skydome

Please don`t take this the wrong way, but suck it up princess.
Seriously, you get a nice comfy chair that goes up and down, free snacks and a nice cup of tea. If feeling faint, they look after you and fuss over you.
Give it a go. Hurts less than face planting into a rock garden.

I wanted to sign up for plasma donations but told I can`t because my blood is on some special reserve. Apparently it is used for a specific group (such as cancer treatment) or a specific person who needs regular blood transfusions to live so they match up regular donors. Made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Cheers.
MH
Nothing taking the wrong way.

I just don't enjoy getting needles jammed into my veins.

I cringe even watching it in movies.