Blood Racing. How fast do you bleed?

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
Maybe I should register a team "Farkin Blood Spillers" or "Bloody Farkers"
Might not get past the censors.
Any suggestions?

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I absolutely hate giving blood; I'm kind of scared of needles.......
I've still donated every 3 months (maybe missed 1 donation) for the last 6 years. Last time was pretty spot on 5 minutes.
The thing I hate the most is having people who cannot give blood for whatever reason trying and making me wait longer while they try each arm, drink water, squeeze the thingy to pump up veins for it not to work anyway.... If you're a 45kg 19 year old who thinks a couple of water crackers is lunch, chances are you can't spare much blood anyway......
This is pretty amazing and something you should be commended for.

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
Survived the blood letting today, managed a 6:29.

Was almost a non starter, my pulse rate was 44bpm, pressure was 115/65. Had to call head office as it was under 50 to see if I could donate.

Apparently being fit and healthy can rule you out from donating.

Damn you bike riding!!!

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Survived the blood letting today, managed a 6:29.

Was almost a non starter, my pulse rate was 44bpm, pressure was 115/65. Had to call head office as it was under 50 to see if I could donate.

Apparently being fit and healthy can rule you out from donating.

Damn you bike riding!!!
Yeah got this one as well when I donated about a month back.

Also had very low iron levels despite my diet basically only consisting of quality meat and mandarins. Nurse said it could be because I exercise so much my body runs through iron reserves very quickly because it needs to move so much oxygen around. Not sure whether that's true, but am taking a supplement relatively regularly and will see what the results give next time..

Anyone got a recommendation for an iron supplement that doesn't make you feel queezy?

slowmick

38-39"
i got knocked back last month as i have been hanging a mate who has had shingles.

Just got back from Fiji so that puts me out for another 4 weeks in case of dengue fever. back on deck in August.

weight and fitness never an issue for me. old, fat and unfit.

had to laugh last time. put down i was 193 cm. nurse tells me you can't be 193cm - we don't get people that tall giving blood. ended up agreeing she could decide how tall i am...:eek:hwell:

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sadly, warfarin (blood thinning medication) and an artificial heart valve knocks me out of the eligible donor pool.

Fortuitously, I am still eligible to donate almost all my organs, so I'll be able to make up in some way for the blood bags I've used when the time comes.

-AC

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
Another donation done.
6:14 this time. Bit slow. Didn`t ride that day and was very chilled out. Heart rate was sitting smack on 60bpm the whole time.
I found out my blood is a "priority reserve". Not sure what that means but I got a warm fuzzy feeling.
Cheers.
MH

Klips

Likes Dirt
I'm pretty gutted about the rules. I was copping it from my Nanna (who is AB- and gave for a few decades) until I finally signed up. Gave blood twice (6:20 and 4:45), then the third time I'd forgotten I had a donation booked and did a reasonably hard training session that morning. Went along anyway, didn't get asked about it, blacked out with 400ml out. Banned for life.

poita

Likes Dirt
I'm pretty gutted about the rules. I was copping it from my Nanna (who is AB- and gave for a few decades) until I finally signed up. Gave blood twice (6:20 and 4:45), then the third time I'd forgotten I had a donation booked and did a reasonably hard training session that morning. Went along anyway, didn't get asked about it, blacked out with 400ml out. Banned for life.
It's ok. Same happened to me, modern arse covering policies. At least you now have an excuse, unlike most people.

Klips

Likes Dirt
It's ok. Same happened to me, modern arse covering policies. At least you now have an excuse, unlike most people.
I don't want an excuse, I want a second chance!!! I feel super guilty every time the blood bus parks in the city, as I spend a week seeing it at least four times a day.

poita

Likes Dirt
I don't want an excuse, I want a second chance!!! I feel super guilty every time the blood bus parks in the city, as I spend a week seeing it at least four times a day.
I went through the same thing! I'm in the health game and thought I could somehow convince them to let me bleed again but, alas, I couldn't. Medically speaking there isn't any reason I found that should stop us trying again, however it's one of those "99% of the time it would be fine" things. The other 1% is someone dying and they don't have the PR budget to come back from that :)

slowmick

38-39"
thanks for fiding the thread MH - i couldn't remember where it was last week. Managed to crank out my donation last Tuesday night a bit over 6 minutes. Keppt having the nurses tell me i bleed well and would be a good candiate for plasma donation (being 110 kg helps too).

They also have Sara Lee Chocolate Mud Muffins at Ringwood. Got a twitch in my eye as i ate it with my Nippy's Milk. Sooooo much sugar :first:

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Quick question, it's been a bit less than a year since I've donated but is the question, Make sure you're fit and healthy 7 days leading up to your appointment, or 3 days?

I was sick over the weekend, had a ball and a recovery which didn't help too much and today I woke up still a bit sick, but a fair bit better (skipped a couple of lectures at uni because I felt sick).
I'm just deciding now if I should rebook Friday's donation, or go anyway - they're super busy at the moment and I had to wait 2 weeks to get this appointment.

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
Donated during lunch time today.

Racked up another sub 50 resting pulse (46). They've updated their procedure now though, no more calling head office, just a flick through the guidlines book, a couple of questions regarding activity level (yes I still race MTB, last race was State Titles XCO two weeks ago) and I was good to go.

6:15 this time.

slowmick

38-39"
5:13 and a little badge for 25 donations. Also the question - you seem just the kind of guy we could use for Plasma. Maybe later.