Blood Racing. How fast do you bleed?

Norco Maniac

Is back!
At the start of the year, it took about 25 peoples blood donations (12 litres) to keep me ticking...

must have been a bad accident! i had 7 units after a caesarian. if it wasn't for those people donating, i wouldn't be here either. i'm happy to be paying it back, for sure.

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't know if I could give blood as I pass out if I lose blood, it's not the blood, I can handle that, it's the fact that I don't seem to have any spare!

My mother tried to give blood but Aperantly she can't for the same reason, I might go one day and find out if I can. Tho, not expecting it to be fast tho haha, the slower the better for me!

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
Went and saw some friends with their new baby (a real baby that spews and shits all the time, not a new bike) and heard that the mother lost over 3 1/2 litres of claret during child birth. They needed to give her 7 units of whole blood to keep her alive.
Felt really guilty.
Its been a while since I gave blood.So today I rocked up to the local blood bank with my wife and made a donation. We started to get competitive about the time it took, having a bit of a giggle and haming it up a bit.
Other donors got involved and then the trash talk about how fast we were started. (Anybody walking in at that point would have been really worried about what we were talking about that took less than 8 minutes)
I mentioned the idea of "Blood Racing"
Everyone had a good laugh.
Now there is a sheet on the notice board with the fastest bleeder of the week.

So why haven`t you had a go at being a blood donor?
1 in 3 of us will need a transfusion.
Only 1 in 30 are donors.
Remember this on your next trip to the Emergency Dept.

Cheers.
MH

PS For the record i did a 7:40 but was beaten by an old bloke who did a 7:24.

Chalkie

Likes Dirt
PS For the record i did a 7:40 but was beaten by an old bloke who did a 7:24.
The oldies will get you on experience. After trash talking an old bloke in his 60s (all in good fun) he beat me by a good 2 minutes. Said the key is making sure the nurse doesn't put the needle too far in (you'll feel a slight burning sensation which indicates its touching the back wall of the vein) and slows the flow. Think I finished in around 8 minutes.

Donated plasma for the first time not too long ago, was actually a pretty fun challenge, the unit shows you your flow rate live during the blood drawing rounds before it returns the cells to you, process repeats a few times. I was too busy try to beat my total volume from the previous round to realise it took a 45 minutes to donate.

If anyone is considering donating plasma, i recommend it - yes it takes a fair bit longer (was about 2 hours from walking in the door to walking out) but given that you get your plasma-less blood cells back I felt a whole lot better after than when I donate blood.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Would love to but can't due to the Mad Cow law ( I.e if you were in the uk during the reign of the mad cow Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, you can't give blood.)

This is utter bollocks and the most ridiculous example of the nanny state I have ever seen.
TheUK has a population almost 4 times that of Oz many of whom will have had multiple blood transfusions over the last 30I years and I have yet to hear of anyone there who have died as a result of CJD contaminated blood transfusion.
Yes there is still a tiny risk but if the medical authorities here dont have the balls to address this and instead just keep pleading poverty whilst putting patients lives in immediate risk due to low blood stocks then they can go fuck themselves!

J@se

Breezeway Bandit
Would love to but can't due to the Mad Cow law ( I.e if you were in the uk during the reign of the mad cow Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, you can't give blood.)

This is utter bollocks and the most ridiculous example of the nanny state I have ever seen.
TheUK has a population almost 4 times that of Oz many of whom will have had multiple blood transfusions over the last 30I years and I have yet to hear of anyone there who have died as a result of CJD contaminated blood transfusion.
Yes there is still a tiny risk but if the medical authorities here dont have the balls to address this and instead just keep pleading poverty whilst putting patients lives in immediate risk due to low blood stocks then they can go fuck themselves!
Ditto, it farkin sucks!:rant:

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've had a friend that got in the low 5mins, personally I've had it at about 5:40 something. Drinking like 3 bottles of water before really helps, as well as pumping. You can actually go faster than the machine, it makes a beeping noise.

Got my first one in a year on Thursday.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Seriously? Racing your blood donation? Thats next to body building for completely f*^king retarded hobbies...

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seriously? Racing your blood donation? Thats next to body building for completely f*^king retarded hobbies...
Its something fun with it. its good to donate and it gives people that little bit extra temptation to give blood.
Read some of the facts through the thread to realize how bad its needed

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I absolutely hate needles, so the little competition we had going at school to see who had the fastest blood was a good gee up.
That and the fact that shortly before my cousin died, he needed transfusions regularly.

Sneebyl

Likes Dirt
The first time I gave blood was with school so I went with some friends, and just as I was getting hooked up to the needle one of my friends was done donating and was very nearly unconscious, but as soon as my needle went in and the nurse went to tend to my friend, my needle came out and blood started pouring all over the chair and floor. I let out a meek "Uh, excuse me..." and the nurse turned around to see my arm, the chair, and the floor being painted red rather quickly, so she rushed over and plugged me up as my friend continued slipping in and out of consciousness, but by this time he had another nurse tending to him, so that was OK.

They didn't have enough blood to use; only enough to test.

This was about 3-4 months ago. I should probably go back, maybe it'll go better.

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
The first time I gave blood was with school so I went with some friends, and just as I was getting hooked up to the needle one of my friends was done donating and was very nearly unconscious, but as soon as my needle went in and the nurse went to tend to my friend, my needle came out and blood started pouring all over the chair and floor. I let out a meek "Uh, excuse me..." and the nurse turned around to see my arm, the chair, and the floor being painted red rather quickly, so she rushed over and plugged me up as my friend continued slipping in and out of consciousness, but by this time he had another nurse tending to him, so that was OK.

They didn't have enough blood to use; only enough to test.

This was about 3-4 months ago. I should probably go back, maybe it'll go better.
If it dosen`t go better, we will need pictures.

ajay

Its something fun with it. its good to donate and it gives people that little bit extra temptation to give blood.
Read some of the facts through the thread to realize how bad its needed

Facts?

This was my experience with donating blood.

I booked an appointment online. It was promptly followed up with an SMS confirming my appointment. Closer to the date, another SMS was sent confirming my appointment, I took the afternoon off work, drove down to the donor centre. I approach the counter and inform the receptionist of my name and my appointment time, confused, she replies that I have no appointment. Undeterred I tell her that its ok and ill just wait a little longer until someone is available. She says thats not possible and I cant donate today. I looked around the centre, saw 3 or 4 people waiting, 4 or 5 nurses chatting away.
I looked down at my blood filled body and kindly suggested that perhaps she could fit me in as A: You keep telling the country how urgently you need blood, and B: Ive taken time off work (unpaid) to make a donation that was CONFIRMED, TWICE. and, C: You're obviously not busy in here today going by the nurses casually chatting away.
She wasn't convinced, so I left.

My 2nd attempt wasn't so dramatic, though when I did ring up, I was informed there wasnt time on that day to donate...

Can't be that urgent.

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There's only a certain amount of beds available, especially if it's not a dedicated donor center. If there were people waiting, it would seem that all the beds are full. If the people are in the middle of having blood taken out, then there's pretty much nothing for the nurses to do. Whenever I've done it, they hook me up - hook everyone else up and then go and have a bit of a chat at the end of the isle whilst one of them comes around every so often asking if we're alright.
So apart from the fact they screwed up your appointment, which is stupid considering how they always say they urgently need blood, I don't think there was much wrong.

I know we had the donor truck come around to the school every 3 months or so and a couple of us would book appointments, and then tell our teacher that we had to go - even though it was way to early. Good way to skip classes you hate with a proper reason.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
there are alternatives to blood, bloodless medical practices have come a long way with better results than surgery with blood, my mate had a very rare tumour removed and underwent the whole thing without blood, the next day another patient went in for the same (yes it was unusual given the rarity of the tumour) Operation but with blood and his recovery didn't go so well, in fact my mate is back at work and the other bloke (they stay in contact) is still bed ridden.
it's time the medical world shared more information on it so people know the alternatives.

user name

Likes Dirt
there are alternatives to blood, bloodless medical practices have come a long way with better results than surgery with blood, my mate had a very rare tumour removed and underwent the whole thing without blood, the next day another patient went in for the same (yes it was unusual given the rarity of the tumour) Operation but with blood and his recovery didn't go so well, in fact my mate is back at work and the other bloke (they stay in contact) is still bed ridden.
it's time the medical world shared more information on it so people know the alternatives.
Nice idea but t was only two weeks ago my grandfater passed away from a blood infection, he required regular transfusions and there was little that could be done re the infection.

I know i'll be donating very very soon.

ajay

There's only a certain amount of beds available, especially if it's not a dedicated donor center. If there were people waiting, it would seem that all the beds are full. If the people are in the middle of having blood taken out, then there's pretty much nothing for the nurses to do. Whenever I've done it, they hook me up - hook everyone else up and then go and have a bit of a chat at the end of the isle whilst one of them comes around every so often asking if we're alright.
So apart from the fact they screwed up your appointment, which is stupid considering how they always say they urgently need blood, I don't think there was much wrong.

I know we had the donor truck come around to the school every 3 months or so and a couple of us would book appointments, and then tell our teacher that we had to go - even though it was way to early. Good way to skip classes you hate with a proper reason.
Well that's the thing, it was a dedicated donor centre, there were a few empty beds/rooms that I could see from where I was standing...