Blood Racing. How fast do you bleed?

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
How fast can you donate blood?
Ever donated blood and seen the timer that shows how long it has taken to bleed the required amount?
My best is 7:14 after riding to the blood bank.
What`s yours?
(If you have never donated blood before, here is an excuse to start and feed that competitive streak inside you at the same time)
Cheers
MH

Cypher

Likes Dirt
I like this concept. Anything to get more people donating

I take forever - about 20 minutes (even when I am well hydrated). I clot very well - so well in fact that head wounds don't bleed very much (but still hurt :( )

Anybody who can should donate - it doesn't hurt and isn't scary (well some of those battle axe nurses are...)

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
One of my close friends used to do it when the bus came to school in about 5 mins..

Me personally I faint after about 20 secs, So after 2 go I dont waste their time anymore :(

{ScarFace}

Likes Dirt
I can't remember my times, but if you get the nurse to turn the monitor around, you can see the mL/m.

If you pump your arm it goes faster :p

0psi

Eats Squid
I'm getting queasy just thinking about this. The blood I don't have a problem with, the needles on the other hand are probably my biggest fear, man I hate them.

Propagate

Likes Dirt
I used to donate in the uk but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that you have to be born in aus to donate? I must check that again, as although I didn't much enjoy it, it's definitely something that anyone that can do, should do.

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Man, respect to people who can do it but I couldn't donate blood. I hate having it taken out of me. Cut myself and there's arm up my arm?

Fine, I laugh cause I generally do it at work every week.

Blood on my back from crashing my bike?

Not an issue, that's life.

Needles?

Couldn't care less, whats so scary about them...

Having blood extracted through a needle? Fuck. Even for blood tests. Gets me so bad :(

0psi

Eats Squid
Fear trumps hot nurses?
On that note, if you ever break a bone go to St. George radiology, there must be some seedy old man that runs that department. Every time I walk into there I feel like I've stumbled into a magazine shoot, holy moly.

But yes fear trumps hot nurses, there's nothing I can think of that I hate more than needles, well, maybe sex with a well hung black man called Bubba but I'd have to give it a bit more thought :p

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
I like this concept. Anything to get more people donating

I take forever - about 20 minutes (even when I am well hydrated). I clot very well - so well in fact that head wounds don't bleed very much (but still hurt :( )

Anybody who can should donate - it doesn't hurt and isn't scary (well some of those battle axe nurses are...)
Thinking maybe we should enter an MTB team or Rotorburner team in the next summer blood challenge. Little bit of research required me thinks.
Cheers
MH

BKMad

Likes Dirt
Due to having too much iron in my blood, I had to donate every week for 6 months. Its a surefire way to lose a fear of needles. My best in that time was around 7.5mins, but usually averaged around 8.5 mins.

FuelXC

Likes Bikes
I have big veins, I don't remember the time, but it was sub 5 min. the nurse was in disbelief, was looking at the full bag in amazement.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
Thinking maybe we should enter an MTB team or Rotorburner team in the next summer blood challenge.
schools can do it as a group challenge, so i'm sure we could do a Rotorburner/Farkin team effort.

i'm due again soon, so i'll let you know how fast i go, would have to be faster than my riding :p

actually, i like the thought of that - "get off your tail and become a Farkin blood donor!"

{ScarFace}

Likes Dirt
I used to donate in the uk but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that you have to be born in aus to donate? I must check that again, as although I didn't much enjoy it, it's definitely something that anyone that can do, should do.
You don't have to be born in australia to donate, but there are a few restrictions regarding mad cow in britain i.e. if youre in britain between 19-- to 19-- you cant.

Propagate

Likes Dirt
You don't have to be born in australia to donate, but there are a few restrictions regarding mad cow in britain i.e. if youre in britain between 19-- to 19-- you cant.
Just checked the red cross site, if you were in the uk for 6 months or more between 1980 & 1996 then you can't donate.

Bummer.

All those maccas as a kid never did me any harmmoooooo...

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Just checked the red cross site, if you were in the uk for 6 months or more between 1980 & 1996 then you can't donate.

Bummer.

All those maccas as a kid never did me any harmmoooooo...
I was in england from 91-93, so I can't donate. Which is aggravating, a) because I wanted to donate and help out and now b) cause I was keen for a race!

BLKFOZ

Likes Dirt
I hate needles, I'm not good with blood (but not as bad as many), and I donate every 3 months when the bus comes to work. Years back a late 50's lady who was short and slightly overweight donated - so I though if she can do it, I'm being stupid not to just cause I'm scared of a little needle.
My BP is normally up above 130/90 so I tend to fill the bag in under 5min. Will check next time.

stringbean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
At the start of the year, it took about 25 peoples blood donations (12 litres) to keep me ticking, i cant donate for another 6 months but urge anybody that physically can to donate, because you never know when it could affect you or someone you know. Not liking needles is a pretty poor excuse, i 'didnt like' needles before my accident, 3 a day changed that pretty quickly......

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1 to ignoring fear.

I used to not like needles, since being required to have tests every couple of months I'm completely over it and now give blood at every opportunity. It's commonly quoted that 1 in 3 people will need blood, yet only 1 in 25 donate blood.

GIVE BLOOD PEOPLE!