EARPHONES MEGATHREAD - All questions on earphones for riding asked and answered here

moorey

call me Mia
Moorey have you tried Skull Candy buds? I've had a set of their 50/50 buds for two years now without a drama. For $80 you get excellent sound quality, control panel and a lifetime warranty.
I kill them too quickly, through my own carelesness and rough treatment. The current set were meant as stop gap measure, $25 from target, but only with play/pause/mic...but I have thrashed them and they just keep going strong (8 months and counting...thats like more than double the average), unlike the name brands I have tried. Sennheiser are great, but sooo flimsy. 3 pairs all had the wires into the buds fail.
Liketime warranty would be great if it covered me for what I put them through. Cheers though. I'll have a look at them.

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I kill them too quickly, through my own carelesness and rough treatment. The current set were meant as stop gap measure, $25 from target, but only with play/pause/mic...but I have thrashed them and they just keep going strong (8 months and counting...thats like more than double the average), unlike the name brands I have tried. Sennheiser are great, but sooo flimsy. 3 pairs all had the wires into the buds fail.
Liketime warranty would be great if it covered me for what I put them through. Cheers though. I'll have a look at them.
I've found them to be tough as boots. Mine have been abused to the max. They survived working in a -25 degree freezer, high speed DH crashes and have been washed 3 times. They keep coming back for more and haven't dropped in sound quality one jot. When I was testing the water with them I had a pair of their $40 Smokin buds which I somehow managed to rip the cable in half, got in touch with Skull Candy and had a new pair within the fortnight.

moorey

call me Mia
Can you scratch off the skull logo? They reek of 'midlife crisis' on fat old fags like me....:help:

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
New Iphone due fore me next month, they aren't the hard plastic style still are they?
From the ad that I've seen, they look more like a weird cross of in-ear and the old style ear buds. I think it's hard plastic still though.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
People riding with headphones?

It is pretty dangerous while commuting and see it daily - they just dont know you are there and cant hear you speaking to them. Now I see a few people on the trails along the Yarra ST. I ride there with a bell because the corners are overgrown and tight - they dont have a chance in hell of hearing me.

So they have earphones in blasting One Direction while strava'ing on tight ST in the height of tiger snake session on a shared trail with people walking their dogs and nannas. Reckon it could be an issue?

News headlines - "Out of control mountain biker impales eldery lady and dalmation out on a Sunday stroll"

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I constantly ride with headphones, both on the road and in the bush. On the road, I just act like I'm invisible and use my eyes to see all dangers. Since i can't hear much, I am constantly scanning the road behind me to see what is going on, especially when changing lanes / crossing on ramps etc. Also makes me feel a bit more safe riding next to big trucks, because they don’t make as much sound anymore.

In the bush, I am constantly looking behind to see if anyone is there and waiting to overtake, and I slow down for any blind corners. Not that that helps much, because bikes don’t make that much sound, so it is hard to hear people coming in the opposite direction on a trail.

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It is pretty dangerous while commuting and see it daily - they just dont know you are there and cant hear you speaking to them. Now I see a few people on the trails along the Yarra ST. I ride there with a bell because the corners are overgrown and tight - they dont have a chance in hell of hearing me.

So they have earphones in blasting One Direction while strava'ing on tight ST in the height of tiger snake session on a shared trail with people walking their dogs and nannas. Reckon it could be an issue?

News headlines - "Out of control mountain biker impales eldery lady and dalmation out on a Sunday stroll"
It drives me crazy. Bad idea on the trails...

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I am sure that pedestrians with ipod on must get hit more often - they sure seem to cross the road almost as badly as phone users

Strava run + ipod user in bush = high speed head on one day.

LOL @ One Direction

ride_29er

Likes Dirt
I do ride with head phones, or i should say head phone, singular, as only on works so i cut the non-working one off...
any way, back on topic, when I do ride with head phones in I always take extra care. I can see how some people get frustrated by me when i ride with them in but i really dont see the difference to me with one phone in, to the pedestrian with his cell phone or ipod (or both) or the p plater with the doof-doof music that makes my bones rattle. im sure neither if them can hear whats happening around them.
I do occasionally ride on the trails with my singular head phone in, but when it tightens up i lose it, although i don't see why i bother, it's not like im going to hear or see the walker/rider anyway, the walkers tend to hear you and get out of your way (at least on my local trails), and i do apologise when i pass rapidly, but if its a bike coming the other way, a crash is inevitable head phones or not.
i guess thats another point i should make here, people that ride with both in frustrate me a little, although i guess that makes me a hypocrite....I would agree that having both in severely compromises safety, hence why i only ride with one, at least i have half a chance.

ClintC

Likes Dirt
I don't ride with headphones in the bush but I will on my commute to work. The only thing I really listen to these days are podcast's so it's output is low enough that I can hear somebody next to me change gear so somebody next to me yelling something is quite easy to hear. Also I am only on bike paths so I don't have to stress too much about cars.

Gripo

Eats Squid
I constantly ride with headphones, both on the road and in the bush. On the road, I just act like I'm invisible and use my eyes to see all dangers. Since i can't hear much, I am constantly scanning the road behind me to see what is going on, especially when changing lanes / crossing on ramps etc. Also makes me feel a bit more safe riding next to big trucks, because they don’t make as much sound anymore.

In the bush, I am constantly looking behind to see if anyone is there and waiting to overtake, and I slow down for any blind corners. Not that that helps much, because bikes don’t make that much sound, so it is hard to hear people coming in the opposite direction on a trail.
Sounds like you are under a lot of self induced stress while you ride....

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Pfft, I ride with them in and my music is so loud my ears ring for an hour after I stop. I never get passed by anyone on my commute and am of the opinion that if you are riding, running or walking in the middle of a path then you deserve to have the shit frightened out of you by a passer by. The volume of my music will not change the outcome whatsoever. In saying that, I see absolutely no danger to me or anybody else while I'm listening to music.

IBO

Squid
i always ride with one earphone in, that way i can hear what else is going on around me.

i have come across just as many people who dont have headphones in that still have no idea what is around them can't get out of the way on a trail when i want to pass!!!!

Big JD

Wheel size expert
i always ride with one earphone in, that way i can hear what else is going on around me.

i have come across just as many people who dont have headphones in that still have no idea what is around them can't get out of the way on a trail when i want to pass!!!!
yeah perhaps it aint an issue

TimmyO

Squid
Pretty much an issue solved by having a bit of common sense.

The type of track/road, how fast you're going and how busy it is all determine the level of risk.

It's going to be dangerous if you've got music blasting to the point a car horn goes unnoticed.

One earphone in sounds like a good idea to me, or a sensible volume level.

In terms of feeling safer riding next to big trucks because you can't hear them I think that's some flawed logic...