EARPHONES MEGATHREAD - All questions on earphones for riding asked and answered here

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
It's not the actual noise isolation that's the issue here. These ones come with 7 different silicon flanges and some of them are awesome. Sitting still they isolate just fine.

The problem is aerodynamics, I guess. When I'm riding, at the blistering speeds that I do the sound of the air moving around the earbuds creates a roaring sounds, like some one talking on a mobile out in the wind. So I need to try and mitigate this some how. All earphones do it to a certain degree, just seems that these ones are not made for wind-breaking.

Plus, I just bought these, not yet in the mood to bin them and the $50 I spent on them for newies!

This is they:

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Duct tape. A mans best friend. ;) You could even try some semtex? You'd have that laying around somewhere............

wombat

Lives in a hole
I don't think custom moulds would help here, as the issue won't be air rush into the ear, but rather air hitting the outer end of the 'phones themselves and causing the noise (almost a microphonic-esque effect in my experience). Although the ones you linked too do seem pretty flat.

Johnny, I had the same problem with some canalphones I had (Vsonic R02) and it was simply because they stuck out too far. My HifiMan REOs are much better, because when I fit them they sit a lot less proud.

A headband would be worth a shot I reckon, so long as it's thick enough to provide some isolation and not just transfer the vibration straight through to the body of the 'phones.

taquar

Likes Dirt
I bought some cheap over ear ones from Dick Smith about 2 years ago, DS home brand they were. I found them brilliant, no chance of them falling out, brilliant sound, limited wind rush. After 2 years the rubber around the right earbud has finally fallen off, but that's ok. They're still going with great sound.

They're actually designed as sports earphones, or that's what the intended use was. And for $30, I certainly have no complaints after 2 years.

Maybe you don't need the brand name ones?

rone

Eats Squid
A headband would be worth a shot I reckon, so long as it's thick enough to provide some isolation and not just transfer the vibration straight through to the body of the 'phones.
I use a Buff pulled over the ears. Works well and is thin enough to not interfere with the helmet straps. Cuts out most of the wind roar.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
http://www.earmold.com.au/Headsets/Stereo-Headsets.html can be expensive but they are molded to your ear so they make a perfect seal no wind noise.

Motorcycle people use them heaps as normal earphones have more chop than a kung-fu factory
Whilst they would be great I just spent half a packet getting these suckers and am looking to mitigate the losses on that rather than lashing out for another new and more expensive set.

YEah, I'm either looking at something a little baggy or super sleek. Will have to see what's available....., short of wrapping my scone in glad wrap.

I use a Buff pulled over the ears. Works well and is thin enough to not interfere with the helmet straps. Cuts out most of the wind roar.
I'm sorry, what's a Buff?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Ha, I don't watch survivor. Is that a bandana or in the parlance of the times, a doo-rag?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Ah, right, now I got you.

That's exactly what I was referring to when I said hippy head-band or headsock above. I just saw them called head socks in Byron a few months back.

Will grab one this weekend (praying I can find a plain black one somewhere) and report back to you.

....better be able to find one under $10 somewhere otherwise there was no point buying these little bastards over bloody seas!!

rone

Eats Squid
Ah, right, now I got you.

That's exactly what I was referring to when I said hippy head-band or headsock above. I just saw them called head socks in Byron a few months back.

Will grab one this weekend (praying I can find a plain black one somewhere) and report back to you.

....better be able to find one under $10 somewhere otherwise there was no point buying these little bastards over bloody seas!!
Coincidentally they are giving one away free with the latest copy of MBUK magazine. Dark grey with Voodoo logos.

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Recommend me some headphones/earphones

Hey guys.
Im sick of my earphones just not working, i ride DH with them, and a lot of the time they just stop working. I have been through 3 pairs since November and i find it really annoying.
Can someone recommend me some good earphones that wont break and that produce a decent sound quality.
Thankyou

downhillar

Likes Dirt
I have some sports ones that have a hook thing that goes over the top of your ear so they don't fall out while you're running/riding, but the sound quality was pretty rubbish.

I have some senheiser earplugs cx-300II's that have awesome sound quality, they were about $70 i think.

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been using skull candy 50/50s cost me a pretty penny at $90 but well worth it. Nothing has even come close in sound quality and durability in a set of buds.

BEATS BY DRE!!!!!

But seriously, depending on how anal you are about sound quality, most cheap earbuds will be similar although I have found Sennheiser to have the best quality out of the cheaper end of earbuds. In saying that though, I have also had a decent pair of SkullCandy's that were around $30. I too used to break them frequently, but with proper care, they should last quite a while.

LJohn

Likes Dirt
Brainwavz Alpha/Beta/M1/M2?

I just bought a pair of M4s and they are absolutely smashers for the price. Quality foam tips included.

Then again, do you want the commercial over-hyped bass or a more accurate frequency response? If you want bassy, buy a cheap in ear pair. Ultimate Ears 100/150/200. I liked my 150s. The bass wasn't well defined, but it wasn't overbearing and there was plenty of it. They have a nice upper mid/high sound for a cheap phone. Although, one side of mine did break very quickly. Lucky I only use one ear on the move.

Or Yamaha EPH 20. Can be had for a bargain and have a decent sound. Not amazing, I don't like them, the bass is a bit wooly but it's very present. They stay in your ears and the plug is solid. I use them for commuting when my bag straps are a bit of a stress to the cords.

I wouldn't buy anything too expensive if you're using them for a sport. Movement really kills sound quality, and you will wear them out. My recommendation goes to the yamahas. Solid sound, they fit securely, they are cheap. Ticks the boxes really. You also aren't paying for looks or name (so much.....) so you won't get street cred but they will sound good. I've tried skullcandy, monsters, kickers and a few others and found they had a very average sound. Not a fan.