Cool, Old Skool,trick and interesting motorcycle thread

floody

Wheel size expert
Either boot will be great, cannot fail with Alpinestars. I've had their MX boots, road boots, casual shoes, mountainbike shoes...all fantastic.

sam705

Likes Dirt
Cheers bud, leaning towards the 10's. Bit of research on the net reveals 8's have a booty insert which seems a bit of a hassle plus i prefer the look of the new style.

Can't get over the prices though. I'm all for supporting local dealers but when they retail around here for $700-$800, and i can buy overseas for under $550, you dont have to think twice.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Cheers bud, leaning towards the 10's. Bit of research on the net reveals 8's have a booty insert which seems a bit of a hassle plus i prefer the look of the new style.

Can't get over the prices though. I'm all for supporting local dealers but when they retail around here for $700-$800, and i can buy overseas for under $550, you dont have to think twice.
If you haven't tried them on, be aware that all Alpinestars footwear are extremely narrow! the Gaerne equivalent are wider, but in no way are a "wide" fitting. The cheapo O'Neal etc boots are generally a much wider fitting. My own gaerne Skywalkers MX boots, Gaerene Road boots, MTB shoes and Roadie shoes all took a very long time to break in because of this. Pretty much all Italian made shoes are very narrow, but of the highest quality.

As far as price goes, Tech 8's were near $800 at full RRP when I quit working in the bike game in 2003. At least they haven't gone up too much since then!

skivi

Likes Dirt
yo dogs i'm looking for a few things:

• Whitworth socket & spanner set
  • Alloy 40 spoke shouldered rims 1x WM2 19" and 1x WM3 18"
  • a crappy yet salavgable 18" guard/fender to chop up
  • 1x free bag of cash money of roughly $20,000 or more in value

cheers

sam705

Likes Dirt
If you haven't tried them on, be aware that all Alpinestars footwear are extremely narrow! the Gaerne equivalent are wider, but in no way are a "wide" fitting. The cheapo O'Neal etc boots are generally a much wider fitting. My own gaerne Skywalkers MX boots, Gaerene Road boots, MTB shoes and Roadie shoes all took a very long time to break in because of this. Pretty much all Italian made shoes are very narrow, but of the highest quality.

As far as price goes, Tech 8's were near $800 at full RRP when I quit working in the bike game in 2003. At least they haven't gone up too much since then!
Ah, thanks for the heads up. I've read that they are quite small compared to your ordinary shoe size. People have been recommending i buy the size down from what i usually am. I have a couple of mates with tech series boots so i will be sure to quiz them about this before i commit.

As for prices, 10s are going for around $800, where as the 8s are around $600!

NZSNOWDOG

Likes Dirt
Awesome to watch any OLD road racing,mx videos,knowing how well a lot of the bikes didnt handle,and how fast those guys were riding.
I have owned a few semi interesting bikes over the years,a honda mvx250(2 stroke triple),suzuki rg400,and my fave,a 1986 gsxr750 limited edition.1 of 500 made,it had a single seat,gsxr 1100 front end inc brakes and a dry clutch.Took it pretty easy on the clutch(BIG $$ to replace),but still managed to win a dyo drag meet at Meremere dragway.

Jon

Not Grip, OK... So don't ask!
DSCF1448res.jpg

Repainted and nearly rego ready, just a chain guard to go.
Then new rubber, 4 into 1, new chain and sprockets...

floody

Wheel size expert
Never stops does it. I think you forgot to add "Kerker, FCRs, Oil cooler kit' into that list. :p

sam705

Likes Dirt
Just a question that i've been rather curious about lately.
Why don't all newer mx bikes come with hydraulic clutches?
I own a ktm with one and love it. I throw my leg over my mates YZ and it just feels weird, nowhere near as smooth. I would have though in this day and age, hydraulic clutches would be standard on all mx bikes. Pros and cons?

floody

Wheel size expert
Cable still works well, easier to service in the field, bombproof, less to go wrong, on the fly tension/free play adjustment...Those would be the 'for' arguments on the side of cable.

Heavier clutch pull (sometimes), problems of dirt ingress would be the key arguments against cable, and really the argument for hydraulic isn't overly compelling - self adjusting, light action, sealed...Thats about it.

83AST

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Alright so, I'm coming in to year 12 in a few months and I have to start figuring out what I want to do for my major auto project. Im thinking of doing a postie bike (honda ct110) and chopping it into a bobber, mainly because I don't want to spend a lot and make something decent I can use, maybe an engine conversion to a 150cc or something along those lines.

So my question is, anyone else on here done a yr12 auto project and what did you do etc etc..

Last edited:

Ivan

Eats Squid
I just had to share the laughs

[video=youtube;EDt-2wcqYUc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDt-2wcqYUc[/video]

floody

Wheel size expert
Fair enough, cheers.
Can you see companies going hydraulic?
Time will tell i guess.
Possibly. It is a good system for its fragility and complexity. But I don't think we'll see cables die any time soon, off road at least.

skivi

Likes Dirt
this is the best shit ever. everyone who has ever owned an motorbike should watch this.

[video=youtube;62t-_D_jy5k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62t-_D_jy5k[/video]

[video=youtube;-5YYGmLl7Rs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5YYGmLl7Rs[/video]

cheers c*nts!

Toff

Likes Dirt
Sort of OT..

Had my first proper off on the bike last night. Damp road, right hand corner with oncoming traffic making my vision somewhat compromised. Noticed the corner was narrowing a bit so I applied the front brakes, and the cold tyres decided that traction wasn't something they fancied at the time, so the bike fell out from underneath me and I slid for a few metres.

Happened so fast I barely knew what was happening, such a surprise to be riding along at one moment and then the next I'm sliding along the road. Luckily there was a cyclist coming the other way who saw me go down, so he dropped his bike and helped me get mine off to the side of the road. Had at least three people who stopped to make sure I was okay, nice to know even complete strangers will stop and help out.

Damage wasn't too bad, took out the right side indicator and mirror, snapped the brake lever and bent the brake pedal slightly, and put some battle scars on the main fairings and muffler:

Luckily there was no frame or engine damage so I was able to (cautiously) ride it back home, having no front brake is a little disconcerting though.

Unfortunately, I had my camera in my backpack at the time, which resulted in this..

Last edited:

dog boy

Likes Dirt
this is the best shit ever. everyone who has ever owned an motorbike should watch this.

cheers c*nts!
Older bloke with the long blonde hair, Trent from punchys dad? He was pretty slow at answering questions and was grammatical incorrect 50% of the time.