You laugh you lose

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I've seen this one quite a lot before. The thing that people don't understand is yes they can have roads built like the Roman roads but it will take centuries to build, cost hundreds of times the amount of a modern road and rattle your teeth out. After all that, the were designed for armies walking and nothing heavier than a chariot so when you a few hundred 85t B-Doubles over that rough old Roman road, I don't think it will hold up so good. ;)

Flow-Rider

Burner
I've seen this one quite a lot before. The thing that people don't understand is yes they can have roads built like the Roman roads but it will take centuries to build, cost hundreds of times the amount of a modern road and rattle your teeth out. After all that, the were designed for armies walking and nothing heavier than a chariot so when you a few hundred 85t B-Doubles over that rough old Roman road, I don't think it will hold up so good. ;)
It's a joke, you know, to make people laugh.

Australia has shit standards in building roads, if you look at places like the US they put in a lot more work in building the sub base for freeways.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub

Australia has shit standards in building roads, if you look at places like the US they put in a lot more work in building the sub base for freeways.
I realize that and our roads are built to a cost and often the lowest bid gets the gig so that's why we get what we get.

Maybe I need to post it in the Old and angry: what pisses you off thread lol

moorey

call me Mia
You would be surprised how bad US roads actually are. The countries infrastructure is literally crumbling
I wouldn’t be. I hear about it a lot from seppo’s I know. Particularly travelling across the country. You cross a border between states and counties that tax and fund infrastructure differently, and you can literally fall in sink holes as you cross the line. Then there’s bridges! Many are decades beyond life expectancy and haven’t been assessed for critical maintenance in years.
Home if the brave, don’t tread on me. :p

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn

I hear you. With the "technologies" of today the roads are fucked. The 23km of "upgraded" highway down my way that took 2 years and $23M is about the equivalent to the roman roads in it's ability to shake your teeth out and was falling apart after 3 weeks.

But then won’t fund maintenance for the next 80 years. Because debt ceiling and the other team trying to fund it.
Road maintenance is a joke here too.

I realize that and our roads are built to a cost and often the lowest bid gets the gig so that's why we get what we get.

True. But what about accountability? Just because they go with the cheapest gig shouldn't mean they be substandard. This mob of idiots were supposed to do 50km and only manged 23km. The road started deteriorating after a few weeks. They "fixed" issues for a couple of months which was a complete shambles and waste of time and now Roadtek, which is gov't anyway, are in there trying to fix it up. When it rains for fucks sake, the water runs down the highway instead of off it and you end up aquaplaning.

But I agree this should definitely be moved to Old and Angry.... :)

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
You would be surprised how bad US roads actually are. The countries infrastructure is literally crumbling
When I was seconded to a job in the US early this century one of the companies was doing a major road upgrade around Salt Lake City before the winter olympics. The work they did was amazing. Massive premade sections of road fabricated in multiple locations along the route and then lifted into place overnight. Minimal disruption and the roads were amazing.

Flow-Rider

Burner
But then won’t fund maintenance for the next 80 years. Because debt ceiling and the other team trying to fund it.
How do I get a gig leaning on the shovel?

We used to have a road that went from Brisbane CBD to Ipswich CBD (Ipswich rd) that was built in WW2 times from US soldiers. It was a segmented concrete road with tar filled joins, it was untouched for about 40 years apart from the re sealing of the joins and a few small potholes. When they expanded the road later on in the years, they built straight over the top of it and lasted for a very long time. In the more recent years, they've widened the road, rerouted it and changed it from 2 lanes to 4, so not much of it left I would say.

Last edited: