Who Causes Cyclists' Deaths?

davemw

Squid
HTML:
http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/28/who-causes-cyclists-deaths/
More than 52,000 bicyclists have been killed in bicycle traffic accidents in the U.S. over the 80 years the federal government has been keeping records. When it comes to sharing the road with cars, many people seem to assume that such accidents are usually the cyclist’s fault — a result of reckless or aggressive riding. But an analysis of police reports on 2,752 bike-car accidents in Toronto found that clumsy or inattentive driving by motorists was the cause of 90 percent of these crashes. Among the leading causes: running a stop sign or traffic light, turning into a cyclist’s path, or opening a door on a biker. This shouldn’t come as too big a surprise: motorists cause roughly 75 percent of motorcycle crashes too.

triedntested

Likes Bikes
Got hit by a car last week while crossing an intersection...absolutely 100% the car's fault. She wasn't watching at all :mad:

People in cars just aren't trained to look for bikes, they're always on the lookout for other cars.

Knopey

Likes Dirt
If you think that's bad, consider that motorists cause 100% of motorist-motorist accidents :eek: Every single car-to-car crash is caused by a car :eek:

The cyclist is never going to come off well against a metal box. :(

fairy1

Banned
I'm going 50/50, from what I see road riders break a lot more road rules than your every day motorist and almost every roadie I see riding solo has headphones in which I doubt will help their alertness.
However I must agree that car drivers don't seem to look for bikes at all, hell if they can't see motorbikes there is no way they they will see a pushbike.
I have been hit by a 4wd, I was pretty lucky as the bullbar hit my seatstay instead of my leg. The guy that hit me had just finished a 12hour night shift and was only a couple of km from home.

LJohn

Likes Dirt
There are two parts to this. Some cyclists need to stop assuming that cars will give them right of way when deserved. Simple case is people, in general, are pretty narrow minded and probably think they have right of way simply because they're on their fat ass in two tons of steel.

It's simply better to ride in a manner that either 'strategically' dodges traffic (reckless riding, but controlled. Drivers will notice, and if you aren't slow, you will also make gaps you want) or avoids situations where a confrontation like that is possible.

The next part is the majority of idiot drivers need to become more aware.

We don't need a ****ing 3m gap when you drive past. You are endangering the cyclist, the other drivers on the road and yourself by doing this. Truck drivers in the SW have it sussed. They give enough gap and give a nice push too. Once again, if you're confident on two wheels, if it ain't touching you, it's far enough away.

We are vehicles too. I don't give a shit if your car cost you $50000 and you think that gives you some special right to be an ass, we're on the road too, no, we can't use bike paths, and yes, we are protected by law. Deal with it.

Bikes with a reasonable rider perched on top are deceptively quick. Don't try and overtake through a roundabout. It generally leads to us getting cut off, angry, or on the ground. So learn how to take roundabouts at speed or stay the hell behind.

Continuing on, don't speed past and immediately stop for a corner. I don't care if it tickles your ego, you're still driving within the laws, you're just being a dick while doing so.

On another note. A kid slagged me with 'don't fall off'. Alright. I won't. I'll show you.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Some cyclists need to stop assuming that cars will give them right of way when deserved.
I find "assume you're invisible when you're on a bike" to be a pretty good rule to go by. Because a lot of the time, you might as well be.

screw loose

Likes Dirt
^^^ Exactly. Never assume that you're an equal quantity in terms of the other traffic on the road. It'd be so nice if all motorists were aware of other road users, but it's simply not the case. I'm certain that I'd be dead now if I assumed that I was being considered by others on the road. So many close calls. Most recently I narrowly avoided being flattened by some fuckwit who was texting while going through a roundabout. But get some lights, ride in the middle of the lane where appropriate, and try to give yourself the bets possible chance of being seen, failing that. Be invisible.

My ute/truck comes in at 3 Ton on the scales and on my way out too Brookfeild on the weekend for a DH race there were a number of road cyclists riding in double file on what was a narrow road with blind corners, now im no expert but im pretty sure that a cyclist will not come out to well if I hit one of them. As I was passing I was getting filthy looks off them as well. It seems like a lot of roadies I have come across have a bit of an attitude problem and seem to think they own the roads and I need to move out of their way. But as stated above I see so many cyclists going through red lights there is no wonder they get hit.

But I know not all break the rules but there is a lot that do.

aidz44

Likes Dirt
^^^^AGREED^^^^

riding double file on almost any road is going to lead to trouble.

it's a major problem in Townsville where most main roads have another lane dedicated to cyclists, yet so many have an uncontrollable desire to ride ON the white line that is there to separate you from the 30TONNE Mack that is using the WHOLE road.

The law may help you get compensation, but it won't stop you getting killed.
JUST USE YOUR HEAD, and you will find that it won't become a doormat.

agoer

Likes Dirt
After literally coming with in 2 or 3 inches of being hit about 12 months ago (bloke came through a give way like no one was there), i really started to be aware of something that no doubt caused this near miss. This being how many times i approach give way intersections (where i have right of way) and another car approaches, i am infact right inline with their "A" pillar. I know this because when i look up to get eye contact i cannot see their head/face because it is obsquered by the pillar. Sometimes we are approaching at the same speed so no matter how much further through or into the intersection i come i am still inline with their "A" pillar. So now i just swerve left a little to give them a flash of something coming and hopefully avoid an accident to which i would come off a very distant second.

I dont know if im more aware of this but it seems to happen at least once on a 30km ride, (scoff i know 30km is big for me :) ).

G

trt-reece

Likes Dirt
riding double file on almost any road is going to lead to trouble.
But it is allowed, by law.

At least riding 2 abreast, they are getting spotted by drivers, and therefore less likely to be hit by a driver who 'didn't see them', or a car trying to squeeze through in the same lane. Riding single file, on the edge of a lane, encourages cars to squeeze through next to you. Sure, you can say that as long as they don't hit you, then fine, but when it's a bus driving past you, beeping it's horn when it's 5metres behind you, and you are already basically in the gutter, and it passes you with a 10cm gap between you an it, you get a bit concerned. As for riding 2 abreast, the problem comes when some drivers get reckless or annoyed at the riders, and do stupid overtaking moves..

curlysurfer

Likes Dirt
If only all these posts were in the "Unawaredrivers.com Forum". We all need to be aware of drivers needs too.

On my commute, in the first 10k there is about 6 k of climbing . I'm cold and muscles not warmed up properly, so the climbing is slow, so I take my pride and pound the footpath, which doesn't have much 'traffic'. This lets the cars/trucks/buses pass without having to go around some f*cking cyclist doing 10kph. I have the right to ride the road, but I'd rather let the cagers have a peaceful start to the day.
To bridge the gap between road users attitude, (us included) we should be using hand signals too. not many drivers out there can read minds/gestures of a cyclist. I dont mean the text book, right arm at 90deg indicates stop stuff, but a positive gesture indicating lane changes at least lets others know what's going on.

There's always going to be 'too cool for school' riders who dont give a fuck about the rules. This style is what most motorists would tell other drivers... I saw this crazy dude, weaving between cars, blah blah blah. If they dont know what your doing how is the driver not concentrating going to know.

Ride like you cant be seen.
Old nannas and pops regulary pull out, on everyone, not just us
Indicate until someone creates a gap.
Anticipate drivers actions, not always easy.
lights, get em flashing
dont dress like an Emo/goth, unless the fluro emo trend has kicked off!

Dont whinge about not being seen if you haven't made an attempt to be seen.

Simple way to fix it DON'T RIDE ON THE ROAD I thought common sense would pre vale, If you were walking along the road and a bus was coming a long, what would you do risk getting hit or move out of the way.

If roadies want the same rights as a car on the road they should have to pay rego like the rest of us. Or build designated loops to go ride on away from the traffic then that would fix the problem all together. You get bike lanes but don't want to use them or you do use them and feel its ok to ride on the line weaving in and out of the traffic lane.

curlysurfer

Likes Dirt
Simple way to fix it DON'T RIDE ON THE ROAD I thought common sense would pre vale, If you were walking along the road and a bus was coming a long, what would you do risk getting hit or move out of the way.
So no Tour de France, etc. bit extreme innit?

If roadies want the same rights as a car on the road they should have to pay rego like the rest of us.
I will never call myself a roadie, but I do ride the road. I'd do this if the Aussie Goverment had a system somewhere close to the Dutch system. Bike lanes all over the shop, Pedestrian lights, car lights and bike lights at intersections, with 3 separtae timings, Bikes have right of way at all roundabouts.
Believe it.

Or build designated loops to go ride on away from the traffic then that would fix the problem all together.
The have designated bike loops, they're called velodromes, I think. Not far for a circuit lap though.

You get bike lanes but don't want to use them .
Alot of the bike lanes dont have continuity, stopping starting in some stupid places, like roundabouts.

or you do use them and feel its ok to ride on the line weaving in and out of the traffic lane.
riding a line and weaving is two different things isn't it??

Just needs common sense from riders and drivers, except, drivers have a cage to protect them from some of this.

BTW, DH_nuts, do you legally ride your DH bike 'everywhere'?

Last edited:
so no tour de france, etc. Bit extreme innit?

I will never call myself a roadie, but i do ride the road.

The have designated bike loops, they're called velodromes, i think. Not far for a circuit lap though.

Alot of the bike lanes dont have continuity, stopping starting in some stupid places, like roundabouts.

Just needs common sense from riders and drivers, except, drivers have a cage to protect them from some of this.

Btw do you legally ride your dh bike 'everywhere'?
yes i do!!!!!

smeck

Likes Dirt
Another simple way would be for you to be patient, and to drive with the due care and attention you're legally required to have. Just because you have 3t of truck and pay rego doesn't give you the right to bully other road users. You have the same right to the road as everybody else, not some extra special priority right, hopefully common sense will prevail and we can all get home safely.

If roadies want the same rights as a car on the road they should have to pay rego like the rest of us. Or build designated loops to go ride on away from the traffic then that would fix the problem all together. You get bike lanes but don't want to use them or you do use them and feel its ok to ride on the line weaving in and out of the traffic lane.
As the law currently stands bicycles already have the same rights as a car and they do not have to pay rego to use the road like the rest of us. If you want to lobby parliament to introduce a rego requirement for bikes then by all means go ahead, until then you legally have to give way and bikes don't have to pay rego. Also consider that pedestrians also use bike paths to walk in, and cars love using bike lanes on the edge of the road to park in, riding fast on a path can be pretty stupid as well. I ride in bike lanes, but car doors are a constant threat and so are cars parking in the lane so you have to merge into the traffic to get around them. There are two sides to every story and the irony here is astounding, you have exactly the same stance as hard core roadies, "it's my road and everbody needs to get out of my way". Roadies need to obey road rules, cars need to respect a bike's right to be there, everybody needs to be patient.

I find "assume you're invisible when you're on a bike" to be a pretty good rule to go by. Because a lot of the time, you might as well be.
I couldn't agree more. When I got my motorbike licence the instructor had a saying that "75% of accidents might be caused by cars but 100% of those accidents can be avoided by the motorbike if you stay alert and ride smart". The same thing applies to bicycles, keep your eyes open and never under estimate an idiot's ability to do something stupid. You can't take the moral high ground from 6ft under.

Last edited:

curlysurfer

Likes Dirt
yes i do!!!!!
Cool, 'cause I thought I may have been dealing with a double standards kinda guy.

Anyway Back on Topic, Coming up to a cyclist riding below your car speed, like coming up to a truck doing the same?
Two options....
"shit I cant overtake this slow vehicle, need to wait till I can find a safe spot."
or
"get off the fucking road, stupid dick, go ride the velodrome"?

Two options of attitude from the driver, choose one. either option won't make the riders go away, so it'd be easier to take option # 1

smeck

Likes Dirt
Cool, 'cause I thought I may have been dealing with a double standards kinda guy.
3 tonne trucks never hold up traffic (especially climbing hills or in headwinds), but if they did, (and I'm not saying they do) it would be okay because they pay rego.