When bullshitting the wife backfires....

early1

Likes Bikes
So my front brake is getting a bit spongey - not un-rideable - just needs a bit of pumping. Just means I can't go as hard. It needs a bleed. Simple. I just need to buy a bleed kit. So I tell the wife my brakes are shot and I need to spend the dosh on the tools to fix them. She agrees instantly on safety grounds. The saftey angle always works for my upgrade budget approval. Great.

Bleed kit is ordered and in the mail. Today is sunny and I have an unexpected window of opportunity to go for a ride (with 2 little kids, one cannot waste these opportunities ), so and wheel out the bike, only to get an absolute barrage of dissent from the mrs. I try to argue that it's not that bad if I just cruise, but she won't hear it. Keeps saying something about parental responsibilities and my previous hospital visits....

Guess I'll have to pull out the roadie. Gutted. And piss weak.

Need a new angle to bullshit the mrs....

indica

Serial flasher
Must be a good relationship if you have to lie.

Just bitch slap her and tell her it's her fault.

moorey

call me Mia
Gold. Been there many times. I don't tell her anything I do any more. As often stated, this easier to ask forgiveness than permission. :thumb:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
She agrees instantly on safety grounds. The saftey angle always works for my upgrade budget approval. Great.
I only recently discovered this particular angle myself, rationalised a whole new bike out of it as well. Haven't been married that long and am supremely thankful I discovered this strategy so early in the piece.

early1, what you need to do is moderate your approach. You're going full retard, which you should never do, of course. You don't say "has become dangerous to ride", you say "will be dangerous to ride if I don't do something in a month or so" or if you're playing a longer game you can go with "is causing me chronic injury" such as tendonitis, back troubles bone-itis or whatever. It was actually true for me as stomping SS was giving me tendonitis in my elbows from pulling up on the handlebars. Got me a whole new all mountain bike out of that, especially given that she had been off work for a while with bad tendonitis. So there's another tip, claim a malady which she has some experience of, particularly an injury a friend of hers has had and nagged her to death about!!

I'm a bad person.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
I had the Marley built up as a trail bike, but really wanted to try that SS rigid thing...so I whined about the fear of my bike being stolen in town (despite it being padlocked in plain sight of other staff, inside)

"hey, I better but a rigid fork...this revelation is too tempting to steal"
"hey, I should single speed it, this drivetrain might get stolen"

"what about that expensive dropper, husband? Won't get stolen?" :behindsofa:

"er, she will be right. Better buy a hope non qr clamp though...good thinking":thumb:

teK--

Eats Squid
early1, what you need to do is moderate your approach. You're going full retard, which you should never do, of course. You don't say "has become dangerous to ride", you say "will be dangerous to ride if I don't do something in a month or so"

I'm a bad person.
No sir... you are a genius ;)

Quintin

Eats Squid
i must have the worlds best wife.

as im loading the bike in the ute to go for a ride

"new bike?"

"yep"

"have fun!"

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Wtf? Just man up and buy a bleed kit. If she asks what is, tell her its a bleed kit. If she asks why you bought it, say "because I want it". The conversation ends there. You don't need to justify a bleed kit. If you really need an angle you could point out the truthful pro that is "if i buy a bleed kit / tools, i can always do the repairs for free. otherwise i have to pay the shop each time. my wife lets me buy what I want. Why? Because I'm gonna do it anyway. The only thing is it has to work both ways. She came home with a $400 set of boots the other day, I bite my tongue. Why? Cause now I get to spend $400 on some new cranks. I'm with you quentin. New tyres arrived in mail yesterday "what's that?" "New tyres Hun" "ooh, I hope you got those 'fast' ones you keep talking about" "yep"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
We're saving for a second property at the moment, we have to be able to justify luxury spending that's more than just $50 here and there.

By the time we're so financially secure that we can go out and spend a thousand here and a few hundred there on luxury items without justification I'll be riding fucking recumbents and getting hip replacements....

Last edited:

ozdavo

Likes Dirt
Just be careful, I heard a story of a guy who dropped about $8k on a new Italian roadie, told the missus it cost about $800. A few months later she decides she want to get in on this road riding caper. They go looking at a few LBS's and she's not taken by anything in their sub $1k budget... Turns to husband as says, " I don't like a any of these, I'll just get one the same as yours"...
From all accounts it ended in major tears!

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
@ Ozdavo - Hell yeah it would end in tears. There'd be major trust issues in any relationship after being lied to by that extent.

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
Just be careful, I heard a story of a guy who dropped about $8k on a new Italian roadie, told the missus it cost about $800. A few months later she decides she want to get in on this road riding caper. They go looking at a few LBS's and she's not taken by anything in their sub $1k budget... Turns to husband as says, " I don't like a any of these, I'll just get one the same as yours"...
From all accounts it ended in major tears!/URL]
He He He
Man he was so busted
Thats pretty funny

Minlak

custom titis
I'm in a relationship with my wife and we have bills and we both work. I put forward an argument she says yes of no or wait mainly yes or wait. She also helps me think through major purchases this way as I am very impulsive. I have an " allowance " so to speak per week so if I want pretty colours or a new tyre or bling or whatever it's not making me feel like I'm asking mummy for money all the time.

I will admit to perhaps embellishing the actual need for the new object of desire somewhat though.....

Edit* since the last off the reigns have been tightened a bit that one scared her ;)

takai

Eats Squid
By the time we're so financially secure that we can go out and spend a thousand here and a few hundred there on luxury items without justification I'll be riding fucking recumbents and getting hip replacements....
Careful there son, you dont need to be financially secure for joint replacements. I almost had my first one as a 19yo uni student.