Whats the best beer you've had & why?

Matty manuva

Likes Bikes
Moon Dog's Jumping the Shark 2013. Cognac barrel aged imperial stout with truffles added. About 15% abv. Very rich and decadent - I suspect it will be awhile before I find anything to trump this beer.

kl3ggy

Likes Dirt
Moon Dog's Jumping the Shark 2013. Cognac barrel aged imperial stout with truffles added. About 15% abv. Very rich and decadent - I suspect it will be awhile before I find anything to trump this beer.
Where can I get some of this amazing sounding beverage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nickz

Likes Dirt
mmm - hop burps...
I don't mind a good hop burp. If anyone ride the Nowra trails stop by Hopdog brewing in Sth Nowra. Jut an industrial unit with a tiny tasting room. A one man show and the brewer is a very nice bloke.

Hopdog Horns Up IPA has the freshest most crisp hop flavour I've had I think, and I've had a shitload of IPA's from both hemispheres.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
That sounds divine! Where can it be found?

A similar delicious brew that may still be found in very small quantities is Red Hill Brewery's "Double Barrel" whisky barrel aged Imperial Stout, clocking in at a mere 10.1%. Their regular limited seasonal release Imp. Stout is one of my all-time favourite beers already, and this just lifts it to a whole new level of impressiveness.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not a good sign when a thread such as this almost disappears onto the third page of topics

I like this
I can remedy that in no time, there has been quite a bit of tasting going on lately.

Beavertown Brewery 'Smog Rocket' Smoked Porter, 5.4%abv. UK.
Deep clear brown with a generous creamy head. Light chocolatey roasted malt aromas intertwined with an interesting coal smoke and fennel character. Smooth and malty, big on flavour and finishes with a delicious bittersweet smokey toated malt. Full bodied and a little sour it just seems to be lacking a little, its hard to put afinger on. Still a lot to like.

Hopdog Beer Works 'Redrum' Rum Barrel aged raspberry wheat beer, 6.2%abv. Australia
Rum Barrel aged raspberry wheat beer. Unfiltered wheat beer matured in rum barrels for two months, lively light clear amber with a billowing head. Fruity rum aroma, actually smells closer to a chardonnay with all that wood but then the raspberry comes through. Full bodied, dry and swells on the palate, quite tart and the finish is spicy like a big claret. A playful and complex beer, I really quite like it but I dare say a bit polarising.

Founders Brewing Company 'Double Touble' Imperial IPA, 9.4%abv. USA.
Light amber with a billowing soft white head. Sweet grainy herbaceous aromatics, complex and invites a deep draw. High alcohol is well masked by the big malt and explosion of hops. Resinous and syrupy, wonderful on the burp, silky and smooth with a few flavour hooks and aggressive bitterness rounds out the beer very well.

Birra del Borgo 'In Branata' Saison, 6.4%abv. Italy.
Light slightly cloudy yellow amber with a soft head. Beautiful grainy stonefruit aroma with some sweet malt. Bittersweet and smooth, delicious fine bubbled Saison with a slightly higher alcohol content. I'm not normally a Saison fan but this is quite a nice drop. indeed.

Last edited:

indica

Serial flasher
Lovely aroma from the hops when poured, initial taste of the dry hop, then face melting bitterness cleaned up with a lovely malty after taste.
7%, wish I'd bought some more.

indica

Serial flasher
I'm loving the mountain goat steam ale. .. a very nice and fresh beer
Funny the whole taste thing. I had one of those and found it the most horrid thing I have drunk in a while.

A bottle of Sierra Nevada Harvest to go tonight... fucken yummy!

carpetrunner

Likes Dirt
Birra Del Borgo: Stelle & Strisce

Beer tasting at Flat Rock Brew Cafe (Naremburn/Crowsnest, Sydney), had one of these;

stelle-e-strisce.jpg

It starts off a little fruity like other seasonal Italian beers - finishes with a crisp strong hop.
Definitely the best session beer I've had in ages - anyone know where I can get more?
- carpetrunner

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lets keep this going shall we.

Lakefront Brewery Inc. 'Fixed Gear' American Red Ale USA 6.5%abv.
I expected this one to start whining at me as soon as I opened the bottle telling me I should have tried it before it became too commercial and was in the garage phase and nobody knew about it. Really not a fan of fixies and hipsters are only around for my amusement but the important question that needs to be addressed is 'how is the beer?'. Pours slightly cloudy mid amber with a billowy light brown head with a pungent herbaceous new world hop aroma. With the eyes closed you would think it was just another IPA but there is some big sweet malt coursing through this. Aromas of sappy pine, citrus and treacle with rich caramel, toffee and a little yeastiness. The palate is dry and tongue smacking despite the big malt backbone, hops are assertive and lingering without overpowering. I had been putting off trying this one for some time but I should have had a go earlier, its prety damn good. The finish is long and spicy and is great on the burp, a lot to like about this one.

Lakefront Fixed Gear.jpg

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Birra delBorgo 'ReAle' American Pale Ale, Italy 6.4%abv.
An Italian interpretation of American Pale Ale. Big American hops boosted with spices and sugar with a relatively low 35.6 IBU's and slightly high 6.4%abv. Pours clear coppery amber with a soft frothy head that gives a light but delightful grapefruit and pine aroma with undertones of luscious malt. Dense and smooth with a relatively low carbonation it is spicy and rich, the hop profile and biterness is quite prevalent dispite having a low IBU count. This really is a very good drop even if it is so heavy, I'm glad it comes in a 750ml bottle. You could share it of course but I'm drinking this one myself.

BdB ReAle.jpg

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
MOA Brewing Co. '99 Not Out, SKW Pale Ale' Pale Ale, New Zealand 5%abv.
Released to the public today, this is supposed to be a sessionable new world pale ale from the Marlborough region with New Zealand Kohatu and Cascade hops. Quite pleasant fresh herbal and earthy aromas with hints of honey and stonefruit. Pours light clear amber with a fine bead and billowy but fading head. Full bodied and silky with an assertive but not too powerful lingering bitterness at 35 IBU's. At about $6 each I don't know what kind of a session you're going to have on it but it's not at all bad. Did I mention that the skw is for none other than Shane Warne? I wonder how it goes paired with baked beans?

SKW Pale.JPG

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After some time off the booze it's time for a few tasters.

Deschutes Brewery. 'Chainbreaker' White IPA, White IPA, USA, 5.6%abv.
Mountain Bikers Beer, with a name like this how could I not. Like a hoppy Belgian white ale, this pours a cloudy whitish yellow with a big frothy white head. The aroma of fresh sappy pine and coriander with some yeasty undertones just explodes from it, I wasn't quite prepared for the hops despite the title. I might be selling it a little short to say it is like Hoegaarden with a dose of hops, there is some big delicious zesty citrus and the bitey hops are tempered well by the wheat making this smooth slightly grainy with a fresh finish. This is quite moreish.

Birra del Borgo. 'Hoppycat' Caskadian dark ale. Dark Ale, Italy. 5.8%abv.
Dark coppery brown with a soft foamy brownish head. Bottle conditioned ale bursting with sweet malt and sappy hops all backed up with some yeasty caramel, port and timber. Velvety smooth and rich body with perfect light carbonation disguises a big 70 IBU's that sets this off very nicely indeed. These guys have been producing some very impressive beers and this is no exception, delicious.

San Miguel Corp. 'Red Horse' Strong Lager, Philippines 7.0% abv.
An export only extra strong lager. Clear straw with a generous foamy white head, aromatics are quite coarse and boozy, closer to a cheap white wine than a beer. Elements of sour berries and methylated spirits. Smooth and a little thin and acidic, not at all pleasant really and finishes equally poorly in a dry and billeous way. This red horse needs its kidneys checked. Poured the rest of this one out, you can see why it's export, even they wont drink this garbage.

indica

Serial flasher
4 Pines Pale Ale.

PALE ALE
A colorful deep Ruby Amber appearance. Aromas of Pine and Grapefruit overlay a malt background. On the palate full bodied malty flavours with a tight and bitter finish.
Umm, overly malty cloying finish. Under bittered so not clean at all. Minimal hop aroma and flavour.

Anthony B

Likes Dirt
I tried a Dad & Dave's #1 pale ale last week hands down the best pale ale I've tried. Had one at BenBry Burgers in Dee Why(Top burger joint for any burger lovers) was light but full flavored, now I have to drive 43kms to go to the closest place that sells it by the case.

http://www.dadndavesbrewing.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15&Itemid=121

"Dad & Dave's #1 Pale Ale is brewed utilising only one malt and one hop variety to create a simple craft beer. As this is our first release we decided to design the beer around drinkability to satisfy your thurst for something that's crafty but not too crafty."

Calvin27

Eats Squid
VB - It was 40deg on a fishing trip and we had run out of all liquids. Cast the last lines out and started packing the other stuff away ready to head back. Someone had packed a six pack in one of those soft shell esky bag things. It might only be VB, but it was the best tasting beer I've had by a mile.

I usually go for Hooegarden.