What does your day look like?

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I’m sure Cardy has MANY stories of fucked up grease nipple dramas on AG equipment, I sure learnt some colourful language from my grandfather on the farm when I was a young buck helping him grease the baler and tractors during baling season.

Especially when I left the packet of grease nipples out in the paddock one time….
Nope, if it's broken it's 1000% their problem. If the power feed I've tapped into for my gear has gone dead, I find a new source and walk away!

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
Everyone has an M10x1.0 tap????? Yes????? Luckily my mate the mechanic had one and now it is bad together and I only lost two fingers getting the belt back on.
EDIT: nope nope nope... is not M10xfknanything, thanks Fox :)

After being inspired to google search many sites looking for "nipple grease - extension" and "nipple lubrication - extension"... and getting somewhat mixed results.... :p

for $9/$16 (steel or stainless), this might not be a bad bodgy Fox damper removal thingymabob
1707907630759.png

or these be cheaperer, and have both M8x1 and M10x1 ($18 delivered for 2 of each, 30mm long)

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
An update!

I lifted the deck to maximum height and dropped off the drive belt. Only losing two fingers. Undo the bigone nut on the top with the electric ugga dugga to remove the pulley and while I was looking for some levers the driveshaft and blade fell out! Win! Removed the blade with a biggerone nut and left with just the shaft. Up to the lathe hiho!!

And discovered that the remnants of the grease nipple are made from veryfuckinghard material and my drills are only made from fuckinghard material. Three different drills later and back to finding a new shaft. A few years back I swapped out the deck on a mate's identical tractor after he munched the midmount gearbox and found a whole deck was cheaper than a new gearbox. As an aside dear reader the gearbox design is shite. The pto drive comes into a bevel gear which in turn spins another turning almost horizontal spinning into vertical spinning which then turns all the blades. The design of the box is that it holds about 1L of gear oil. Multiple bearings and the gears are lubricated by this oil. The shaft runs through the bottom relying on an oil seal to keep the lube in. That seal dries out, gets sad and leaks all the oil away. If you are dexterous enough and have 7 mirrors you can check the oil level but only on a Thursday in May. When we put the new box in I replaced the bottom bearing with a sealed unit. Filled the intervening space with grease and then fitted two new seals. I did this also to mine. Anyway I contacted said mate and sure enough he had the bits in a plastic box. A water tight plastic box... With about 100mm of water in it to prove its watertightness. After a clean up the only problem was the blade retaining bolt would not screw into the base of the shaft due to several years of oxidation. Easy tap the bugger out. Everyone has an M10x1.0 tap????? Yes????? Luckily my mate the mechanic had one and now it is bad together and I only lost two fingers getting the belt back on.
I'm saying nothing because a 65 year old Massey-Ferguson has a hearing problem...

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I'm saying nothing because a 65 year old Massey-Ferguson has a hearing problem...
BIL biggest Massey (yes he is an MF addict) has an electronically controlled transmission. A few years back he thought it had a slipping clutch. Split the tractor only to find the clutch and pressure plate were still fine. Local MF rep came out with his box of tricks and found a sensor was playing up. Replaced that and all back together and working well but if anything goes wrong the first check is with the magic box before doing any mechanical work. Given its age it is more and more an erratically controlled transmission. Hell of a hard life for electronic components, dusty, vibratory and bumpy and hot.

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
Wonder did they do that on purpose, forcing a buy of their expensive tool :rolleyes:

$18 on Ali luckily.
the Ali ones I looked at said "M10" on the side... maybe sloppy thread cutters are OK? :)

luckily i'm pretty brilliant at procrastinating and haven't ordered anything yet, and capitulated to actually measure.

@link1896 Thank you!
yup, i measure about the same as them, 10.12-10.2mm cartridge thread OD. (Verniers not micro)

on the footnut, my (shitty) 10x1.0 tap goes through, but noticably fractionally loose. Tap has a 10.10mm OD

10x1.0 die doesn't go over the cartirdge threads, but these are shitty tools so.... i might go tap somethng, see if fits...
1707979667479.png

EDIT: nope nope nope... is not M10xfknanything, thanks Fox :)

Last edited: