What does "Riding to Heartrate" mean?

wolfjjj

Likes Dirt
It is such a fine line between sustainable and blowing up and it getting messy! I do believe that small gains can be made - ie raising the ceiling on your LT. It is quite well know that the anaerobic capacity and LT ratio are linked. Therefore if you work on your anaerobic ability and raise that capability, then your LT will also rise.

You are probably more efficient on the bike than you are on the run, OR (if you are a runner) the run does use a bunch more muscles than the cycling, which will 'up' the HR achievable.
I'm far more efficient on the bike, I'm a terrible runner though I'm working on it (well planning to work on it :) ) But generally running your HR will be higher as it's load bearing.

Raf

Likes Dirt
Okay gents.

Firstly, I will say this;

NO, I could not have gone any harder. Even if you were there ringing cowbells and yelling 'Allez Allez', I still would have been as smashed.

Stromlo is not an 8 - 10 minute climb, at least for me on the MTB. Took me 18 minutes, being my two 8 minute sprints and 2 minutes easy free wheeling until I found a spot to pull over and do circle work half way up.

Net result,

Test 1.
Average HR = 158 (no crap, I tried for 160 but just could not).
Peak HR = 164

Test 2
Avergare HR = 157 (I popped at 7.30 with no fuel left in the tank)
Peak = 163

Summary
158 it is. I have no reason to lie about this, that is what it was. I actually feel like a wimp.

Taking into account HR lag perhaps it snuck up to 159, I seemed to sit on 160 alot. Fatigue? I didnt really restore my Glycolgen from yesterday's Red Hill reps, so maybe fatigue played a part. I reckon I felt "normal" to perhaps slightly below avergae in terms of "a good or bad day".

What else do you need to know lads? I took lots of info down.

Raf

Misplaced

Formerly Unfit
On ya Raf. Must say its got more interesting now its a 'live' experiment! lets see if you can learn to hit the button for food like the Rats do!

Can I ask, what HR monitor do you have? Garmin, polar?

Last edited:

bear the bear

Is a real bear
"Sometimes alls ya can do, is all ya can do"

It is possible that you have a very flat MMP(Mean Maximal Power) curve with not alot of drop between 8 and 20mins.

The other issue is that HR isn't as sensitive as power therefore you can have variations for up to 30 watts for the same heart rate.

Now that you have tested your 8min number you can have some faith in it.

Raf

Likes Dirt
Ive got no doubt about the power vs HR Bear.

Had a few little granny moments when the mind wandered off the edge of the cliff and I found myself dropping the power (perceived) while HR stayed fairly steady.

It is fun to do a live test isnt, makes the topic much more interesting.

Raf

Raf

Likes Dirt
It is possible that you have a very flat MMP(Mean Maximal Power) curve with not alot of drop between 8 and 20mins.
What does this mean? I assume its a bad thing.

Raf

JD26

Likes Dirt
Okay gents.

Firstly, I will say this;

NO, I could not have gone any harder. Even if you were there ringing cowbells and yelling 'Allez Allez', I still would have been as smashed.
We probably need to yell 'VENGA!!' (it's Spanish for the same)

Stromlo is not an 8 - 10 minute climb, at least for me on the MTB. Took me 18 minutes, being my two 8 minute sprints and 2 minutes easy free wheeling until I found a spot to pull over and do circle work half way up.

Don't worry, 8-10 is for road bike (A grade ability)

Summary
158 it is. I have no reason to lie about this, that is what it was. I actually feel like a wimp.

What else do you need to know lads? I took lots of info down.
Yep, I would suggest that 158 is very close to your LT. Only a race, with the higher adrenalin factor could expose a higher heart rate.

Did you do much riding the day before you did the Red Hill reps? I only ask because fatigue affects different people in different ways.

Personally, my HR drops 20 beats when I am fatigued.

What gear were you riding up the hill with, plus what tyres \ bike were you running?

Last edited:

Raf

Likes Dirt
Don't worry, 8-10 is for road bike (A grade ability)
THank god, I was feeling like an absolute gimp.

Did you do much riding the day before you did the Red Hill reps? I only ask because fatigue affects different people in different ways.
Monday was a rest day.
Tuesday I did 60 minutes of hill climbs.
Wednesday I did 50 minutes of hill climbs at Red Hill.

What gear were you riding up the hill with, plus what tyres \ bike were you running?
I was on the front middle ring 32T alternating between the 3rd and 4th at the back. I dont know the termiology, sorry.

Tyre = Mavicc Larson TT

My Bike, and promise you wont laugh, is an Avanti Hammer Competitor running XT front to back. I havent got a dually yet, at the moment there is enough gains to be had in weight loss (mine) technical ability (getting there) and fitness (getting there). The dually will not be the deciding factor in wether I can ride for 24 hours. It will add to the pain of course.

Thoughts (on everything except my ride :eek: )

Raf

bear the bear

Is a real bear
What does this mean? I assume its a bad thing.

Raf
It's not a bad thing it just means you won't be making the worlds pursuit team anytime soon ;)

A MMP curve is a curve representing your "Mean Maximal" power across a range of durations from 1 second through to 24hrs for those stupid enough to ride that long. The curve represents the decay in power from maximum (sprint) through to your longest effort (whether training or racing)
A flat/ level part of the curve in this area would tend to indicate that you have a very high threshold to VO2 ratio.
Typically this is in the region of 77-79% but I suspect yours is higher...
This lends itself to longer endurance races then shorter more explosive efforts.

Raf

Likes Dirt
Raf, not sure if I missed it. What Heart rate monitor do you have?
Sunnto (Suunto?)

This lends itself to longer endurance races then shorter more explosive efforts.
I had a feeling that was the case, hence my facination with the 24hr. I have absolutely no desire to race short course.:cool:

After racing (loosely used term) in a team at lasts years Scott, I had this overwhelming thought that I wanted to concentrate on the Endurance part of Edurance race. I was more smashed after 4 laps during 24hrs than I am after 6 laps back to back in training. And it seems all I do is turn down the volume by about 5 BPM which perhaps increases lap time by 5 minutes (on 1:15).

Raf

Raf

Likes Dirt
Sorry for the multiple posts, but more questions.

Weight loss and power to weight. If I ever get to fighting weight (for me 90kg) will this change things? I mean, less weight same power = faster times.

INcreaseing LT / AeT - or whatever this 158 BPM's is. How do I do it? Is it a good thing?

Why wont my heart rate go any higher. Am I doomed to be the turtle forever?

Raf

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Sorry for the multiple posts, but more questions.

Weight loss and power to weight. If I ever get to fighting weight (for me 90kg) will this change things? I mean, less weight same power = faster times.

INcreaseing LT / AeT - or whatever this 158 BPM's is. How do I do it? Is it a good thing?

Why wont my heart rate go any higher. Am I doomed to be the turtle forever?

Raf
Yes to the first. increased w/kg means climbing quicker and accelerating faster.

No you can't to the second. You can go faster, produce more power, but it is unlikely that the actual number will change.

Raf

Likes Dirt
No you can't to the second. You can go faster, produce more power, but it is unlikely that the actual number will change.
Why do I feel cheated? *cries*

Does this affect power output? I mean, assuming same weight between me and someone else, same strength etc, would we both ride the same speed / power output, just my BPM would be lower than theirs? Therefore, does it make any difference? Is this perhaps good? Or is it meaningless in the end.

A flat/ level part of the curve in this area would tend to indicate that you have a very high threshold to VO2 ratio.
I assume this IS a bad thing. It means I have a bad VO2 max doesnt it. I have read I can increase VO2 max, but only slightly. Help? Ideas?

*Crushed.*
Raf