What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
zombie leeches! I tried killing one. Impossible. It would not die. :mad: ;)View attachment 408418
Little feckers were hanging around Silvan yesterday too. Hadn't even got the bike off the car and already had one on me.
Then did a full ride, got back in the car and found a fat bugger on the side of my neck. Couldn't get it off so had to drive home with it still on there to get some salt onto it. Bite is irritating as all hell today!

Jpez

Down on the left!
Little feckers were hanging around Silvan yesterday too. Hadn't even got the bike off the car and already had one on me.
Then did a full ride, got back in the car and found a fat bugger on the side of my neck. Couldn't get it off so had to drive home with it still on there to get some salt onto it. Bite is irritating as all hell today!
I actually saw your hero dirt photos from silvan yesterday so thought why not. Talked a local I know into joining me and half way up he calls and says he’s not coming as it’ll be too wet. Too late to turn back. Well by the time I got there it was pissing down. Radar looked patchy so had a crack at bottle caps which was sketchy as hell plus the trail was getting torn up so since I bolted on some new bits to my bike yester I was keen to ride it so I drove to the other side of town which was running well yesterday to find that rooted too.
Has been a dust pit for months so think the soil just isn’t coping. Or maybe it’s just me not coping.

As for the leeches they are despicable little blighters! I found 7 on top of my feet on the inside of my shoes after walking a bit of trail. They had gotten in through the little air holes on my5Tens! I kid you not. That was the itchiest 2 weeks of my life! Both feet swelled up and the bites got real nasty. I’ll save you all from that photo!

ausdb

Being who he is
I haven't posted in a while so this is a bit of a catch-up.
Easter we did some riding at our favourite local island, I remember posting a pic like this a few years back but no quokkas this time :(
Gator.jpg
Thank god that's the last photo I'll ever take of the damned trail gator as miss 8 finally got the hang of riding on two wheels. Score one for mum as I had about given up trying.
Miss 8.jpg
Trail gator gone meant the carrier and basket went onto ye olde vintage Barracuda and it was reborn as the Rotto roadtrain to haul shit around.
Rotto roadtrain.jpg
We had fantastic weather and it looks like we can rebook for next Easter now everyone's riding.

Last edited:

ausdb

Being who he is
Yesterday the ye olde Barracuda had another outing as an old mate invited me to a ride with members of the Perth pre2000 retro MTB group around the swan river. It was cunningly planned to end at a pub but when we arrived back found it was closed for a private function, luckily another one was just over the swan bridge so thirsts could be quenched. Met some great people and will need to work on digging something different out of the shed before the next ride.
PXL_20240406_074313641_exported_13300.jpg
PXL_20240406_075328329.MP.jpg
Retro bikes.jpg

ausdb

Being who he is
On a roll here more bike riding than I've done in ages, the Hallion said his mate was going to the Dianella jump line. The silly old man tagged along and managed not to break himself on the baby bear dirt jump. A couple of goes was enough, I really need to get some coaching as I'm to scared of crashing to really have fun.
PXL_20240407_045107300.TS_exported_30977.jpg

Scotty T

Walks the walk
It took this to get me back out after a good break. E-MTB is in my future. This was an excellent bike despite being too small.

Dave was on a Cube 27.5, we switched for a little bit but it was also large and felt dinky, though super nimble. It has the Bosch and the Norco has the Shimano, preferred the latter as the Bosch had much more of a burst of power which could be unsettling.

It also reminded me I can still ride decent and I miss it.

My phone prompted me to remove people in the background and did a good job, never tried it before but there was two guys behind that table before.

PXL_20240407_024509722~2.jpg

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
It took this to get me back out after a good break. E-MTB is in my future. This was an excellent bike despite being too small.

Dave was on a Cube 27.5, we switched for a little bit but it was also large and felt dinky, though super nimble. It has the Bosch and the Norco has the Shimano, preferred the latter as the Bosch had much more of a burst of power which could be unsettling.

It also reminded me I can still ride decent and I miss it.

My phone prompted me to remove people in the background and did a good job, never tried it before but there was two guys behind that table before.

View attachment 408431
The predator cloaking device glitched (remove people). Their legs are still under the table.

Interesting observation about the difference in the motors. Are they both torque sensor type?

Last edited:

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Saturday: Rode it and had a minor ungraceful slip on a greasy clay trail.
Sunday: drove shuttles for kiddo who is riding mini Muddies in a few weeks.
Rode again and this time had an ungraceful stack on loose gravel. That one hurt a bit more but still nothing too bad.

Possible fuck wit confession: smashed my head on the garage roller door because I didn't lift it enough before trying to relocate a spider that turned out to be already dead.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
On a roll here more bike riding than I've done in ages, the Hallion said his mate was going to the Dianella jump line. The silly old man tagged along and managed not to break himself on the baby bear dirt jump. A couple of goes was enough, I really need to get some coaching as I'm to scared of crashing to really have fun.
View attachment 408430

First one is free...if that is you in the photo, drop your seat all the way down.

Those jumps looks like a fair bit of fun.

I had a pretty nice

The predator cloaking device glitched (remove people). Their legs are still under the table.

Interesting observation about the difference in the motors. Are they both torque sensor type?

Well spotted. You'll make a good hunter of humans.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Possible fuck wit confession: smashed my head on the garage roller door because I didn't lift it enough before trying to relocate a spider that turned out to be already dead.
How low does that garage door go? Did you check it was ok after reaching down that far?

... you're very short

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I had a pretty nice

Ha, I see the legs now

Both torque sensing, the Bosch had a mode that gave a big boost immediately when you put some torque on the cranks, a hybrid mode. The Shimano took a harder pedal to hit full power and was a really smooth delivery even in full send mode. Both hauled up a bit of steep fire trail at 20km/h on full power, it was pretty nuts.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I went along too. Got there just as they were starting to pack up, but they let me have a go anyway. All that was available was a Cube 140 something or other in size L.

was all a bit of a rush, so the seat post was too low and suspension far too firm.

Still, firing up the hill in turbo was pretty surreal. I can see why these things are so popular. Spent a lot of time ramming into the limiter which was a bit annoying. Assistance seems to depend on cadence, so when I found myself in the wrong gear (which happened a lot because of the amount of help the motor was giving) and shifted to a better gear it was surprising how much more assistance was suddenly on tap. A bit of a learning curve I guess.

Didn’t feel a major lack of agility either, weight was disguised very effectively. I did seem to burn through a lot of battery for a short ride, albeit almost all in turbo as I had to be back in a hurry.

I came away impressed, though not feeling I’d had any more fun than on a regular bike. No urgent desire to get on one any time soon for me, I can imagine the tech has plenty of progress to make.

ausdb

Being who he is
First one is free...if that is you in the photo, drop your seat all the way down.

Those jumps looks like a fair bit of fun.
Yes that's me, tbh I forgot to drop the seat just decided to go for it and went. I'd given my phone to the Hallions mates dad to capture all of my fuckwittedness for posterity. The first thing the Hallions mate said afterwards was why didn't you drop your seat. I dropped my seat on the next run and lost a foot on takeoff but managed to land and ride away, thought that was enough.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I went along too. Got there just as they were starting to pack up, but they let me have a go anyway. All that was available was a Cube 140 something or other in size L.

was all a bit of a rush, so the seat post was too low and suspension far too firm.

Still, firing up the hill in turbo was pretty surreal. I can see why these things are so popular. Spent a lot of time ramming into the limiter which was a bit annoying. Assistance seems to depend on cadence, so when I found myself in the wrong gear (which happened a lot because of the amount of help the motor was giving) and shifted to a better gear it was surprising how much more assistance was suddenly on tap. A bit of a learning curve I guess.

Didn’t feel a major lack of agility either, weight was disguised very effectively. I did seem to burn through a lot of battery for a short ride, albeit almost all in turbo as I had to be back in a hurry.

I came away impressed, though not feeling I’d had any more fun than on a regular bike. No urgent desire to get on one any time soon for me, I can imagine the tech has plenty of progress to make.
Yeah the Cube was way too small for us both, but really agile esp compared to the longer 29 Norco. Geo felt slacker on the Norco too, much more stable going down.

Definitely a learning curve with the cadence but it seems to be shift to a higher gear as soon as you feel it tapering off, to keep the power on.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Sharp kids!

The rest is on a FIFO basis @ausdb, staying at the Duxton. If you book me on Frenchman airways you might score a 2 for...but these jumps look a little small for him.

You want to move your bars in an S motion. Those jumps look pretty straight forward from the photo so...
- push into the up ramp at the red x. This is the bottom of your S motion.
- you kind of chase the front wheel up the up ramp then at the Gold x you pull back towards your chest then up for some extra boost. Remember to pull your feet up!
- you should now be in the air and this is the final stroke of the letter s, the top bit. This motion levels off your bike and gives you maximum air.
- then dip the nose gently for the landing.

Remember to lift up your feet.

If you dont want tp charge in and go for glory straight away, you should be ok to pop from the lip onto the table top on those and gradually work your way across that building your jump up until you make the landing. Just be cautious about getting bucked.