What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
Dropped the lad off at Footy Training that is conveniently close to some trails, rode it for a bit - finally adjusted my seatpost (On the trail) that has been too lows for prob the last 10 rides....... Amazing how much better it pedals for a 2 sec job.

Also after trying to run into a tree decided I'd actually straighten my bars and do the pinch bolts up a tad more, again a job I've known I had to do for some time, again on the trail.

Note - in the time I've known I need to make these simple and quick adjustments, I've serviced multiple other bikes in the shed, right next to the MTB where it would be much more convenient to make the above adjustment, but apparently that's not how I roll

It was an enjoyable ride tho so it's in the win column

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Today's lunchtime ride.

There's a mound of dirt, sure I can ride up and over that. Just as I get to the top, I pedal strike, and nearly fall off the side of it, but just manage to stay on and ride down it.

It wasn't very high, maybe 1.5m, but back at ground level, I'm thinking what a stupid twat.

Must be getting old.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Today's lunchtime ride.

There's a mound of dirt, sure I can ride up and over that. Just as I get to the top, I pedal strike, and nearly fall off the side of it, but just manage to stay on and ride down it.

It wasn't very high, maybe 1.5m, but back at ground level, I'm thinking what a stupid twat.

Must be getting old.
Still young at heart by the sounds of it!

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Since fitting the chi 155mm cranks on my bike running 27.5 f/r with the 170mm Z1, I wanted to try it back at 150mm. So instead of a Z1 150mm shafts I took the DIY coil out of the revs and put the 150mm airshaft back in with the DIY runt/dual chamber set up.

Tomorrow after work I'll swap the forks over.

Also went back to a bath oil I used a couple of years back that worked well and I'm trying a grease that pretty much matches the properties of Slickoleum (in fact could actually be Slickoleum).
Compress_20240201_211415_5174.jpg

Note the RB standard clean bench behind...

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Since fitting the chi 155mm cranks on my bike running 27.5 f/r with the 170mm Z1, I wanted to try it back at 150mm. So instead of a Z1 150mm shafts I took the DIY coil out of the revs and put the 150mm airshaft back in with the DIY runt/dual chamber set up.

Tomorrow after work I'll swap the forks over.

Also went back to a bath oil I used a couple of years back that worked well and I'm trying a grease that pretty much matches the properties of Slickoleum (in fact could actually be Slickoleum).
View attachment 406618

Note the RB standard clean bench behind...
Can you use that much grease by 2029?

Any issues going back to air and seals not sealing. Like to coil my fork but they say it’s a one way street as the coil will mark the inner walls and air seals won’t seal.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Can you use that much grease by 2029?

Any issues going back to air and seals not sealing. Like to coil my fork but they say it’s a one way street as the coil will mark the inner walls and air seals won’t seal.
I’ve heard lots of ‘coil will scratch the inner walls’ but yet to read of one person that has actually found this to be the case. I reverted my lyric from Smashpot back to air and it was fine. Only way I can see the spring scratching the inner wall bad enough is if your clumsy pulling and inserting springs.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
I’ve heard lots of ‘coil will scratch the inner walls’ but yet to read of one person that has actually found this to be the case. I reverted my lyric from Smashpot back to air and it was fine. Only way I can see the spring scratching the inner wall bad enough is if your clumsy pulling and inserting springs.
Cheers. If go down the coil fork path I was going to look to cover the spring in a plastic tube or similar to be extra cautious.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Cheers. If go down the coil fork path I was going to look to cover the spring in a plastic tube or similar to be extra cautious.
Depends on the fork. Some don’t have the space hence why they get a length of shrink wrap. I think F38’s and maybe Zebs get a plastic tube in the SP kit but Lyriks don’t.
At any rate I don’t think it’s something you need to worry about too much.

Last edited:

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
Went for (one of) my monthly pub rides last night, cruisy one, mainly firetrails with no real risk of crashes etc..... Well that was not the case - must have been one of those nights. 3 stacks (not me) one of which broke the arch on their fork lowers!! This was before the pub in fact within 5 mins of starting the ride..... He was a bit banged up and shook up. It was a pretty smooth firetrail but a sapling must have gotten tangled in his levers and pulled on the bars, leading to a good old fashion tank slapper and OTB. The other two stacks were not as impressive but still.