What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Kiddo came last, but it doesn't matter as he had a ball.
We got passed by the fastest in his category. It was interesting to hear the soccer dads giving their kids pep talks before the race. Far out some of them take it seriously!
View attachment 408990

There are some very talented (and fearless) riders!
But did Lil Canary have fun? If yes, then that's a big tick in the victory column.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
That race sucked. Well, when I say sucked, it wasn't an unmitigated disaster, but my first 24hr sure as hell didn't go as planned.

Felt good leading up. Loaded up with 2 packets of hot cross buns over Thursday/Friday. Drank myself silly with water and/or staminade while I was at it.

"Sighting" lap Saturday morning went well. I was a bit concerned of being over-geared, but that proved unfounded.

2pm Race start and I found myself riding with the only 24hr solo female and she was a tiny bit quicker than I wanted to be. Took quite a bit of self talk to let her go.

Two hours on and things were starting to settle. Four hours in and I'm starting to find it hard. Six hours and I'm cooked. Climbing in first gear like I've been out there for 18 hours.

Struggled on until 10pm and Mrs George tells me I'm 1.5 hours behind the guy in front and 1.5 in front of the guy behind. Right, I can add a 10 minute rest to each pit stop.

Did that until the half way point at 2am and decide I'm done. I'm having an hour sleep. That became two, then before I know it, it is 6am and I'm sitting on a camp chair in the tent freezing my nuts off. Go back out, convince myself to climb back on the bike (wasn't easy). I roll down to the start line, but have the presence of mind to see how I handle the very easy hill back to the top, before I attempt the techy stuff on this half of the lap.

Nothing.

Even taking into account I was freezing there was just no push left in the legs. And definitely not 8 hours worth of dodging 12hr racers in the second leg of their race, or 6 hours kids on a rager.

Just bubu'd it and it turns out the antibiotics I was on last week had destroyed any chance I had of taking in the food I'd been trying to drown myself in.

So, completely devastated at the DNF. My first at this type of event. But not disgraced, 130km over the twelve hours. It took the next guy until 8am to catch my lap count. And Evie still loves a descent.

Last edited:

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Clearly you guys need to crush that "have fun" attitude and get more "fulfi ll my floundering dreams"! Any chance you could maybe threaten or punch a referee as well? That would probably help.
Kid in first place got the pep talk.
Kid in second place comes from a family of stoked riders who encourage but don't expect. He missed out by mere milliseconds.

Besides, I don't think anyone could take threats from me seriously :D

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Did you guys find a trivia night to finish the ride off @Mr Crudley ?

Looks like a good ride was had and very smoked at all.
A meat tray was won allegedly.

Lots of twists and turns in a small area. A few bits of chunk and handlebar sized gaps to fit through. Trailhead is close to the train station too.

Only a bit of smoke haze on the way out. It was thick in the lowlands in the morning.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
That race sucked. Well, when I say sucked, it wasn't an unmitigated disaster, but my first 24hr sure as hell didn't go as planned.

Felt good leading up. Loaded up with 2 packets of hot cross buns over Thursday/Friday. Drank myself silly with water and/or staminade while I was at it.

"Sighting" lap Saturday morning went well. I was a bit concerned of being over-geared, but that proved unfounded.

2pm Race start and I found myself riding with the only 24hr solo female and she was a tiny bit quicker than I wanted to be. Took quite a bit of self talk to let her go.

Two hours on and things were starting to settle. Four hours in and I'm starting to find it hard. Six hours and I'm cooked. Climbing in first gear like I've been out there for 18 hours.

Struggled on until 10pm and Mrs George tells me I'm 1.5 hours behind the guy in front and 1.5 in front of the guy behind. Right, I can add a 10 minute rest to each pit stop.

Did that until the half way point at 2am and decide I'm done. I'm having an hour sleep. That became two, then before I know it, it is 6am and I'm sitting on a camp chair in the tent freezing my nuts off. Go back out, convince myself to climb back on the bike (wasn't easy). I roll down to the start line, but have the peace of mind to see how I handle the very easy hill back to the top, before I attempt the techy stuff on this half of the lap.

Nothing.

Even taking into account I was freezing there was just no push left in the legs. And definitely not 8 hours worth of dodging 12hr racers in the second leg of their race, or 6 hours kids on a rager.

Just bubu'd it and it turns out the antibiotics I was on last week had destroyed any chance I had of taking in the food I'd been trying to drown myself in.

So, completely devastated at the DNF. My first at this type of event. But not disgraced, 130km over the twelve hours. It took the next guy until 8am to catch my lap count. And Evie still loves a descent.
Woah. Trying a 24hr with no living organisms in your 2nd, and probably most important in the circumstances, brain would be hell. A phenomenal effort considering the handicap. Bravo.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Woah. Trying a 24hr with no living organisms in your 2nd, and probably most important in the circumstances, brain would be hell. A phenomenal effort considering the handicap. Bravo.

I saw the word "climb" and was ready to bail on the ride.

Kid in second place comes from a family of stoked riders who encourage but don't expect. He missed out by mere milliseconds.

You need to pump up the narcissism!

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
That is still a huge effort. Don't beat yourself over that result at all. 24 hr racers are a special breed and give yourself some credit for giving it a shot. There are some crazy fast riders out there.

I haven't been in a race for a very long time. Those events were fun but are really tough mentally and physically. Hard to love 2am starts in cold and wet bike gear.

Well done sir!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

Did that until the half way point at 2am and decide I'm done. I'm having an hour sleep. That became two, then before I know it, it is 6am and I'm sitting on a camp chair in the tent freezing my nuts off. Go back out, convince myself to climb back on the bike (wasn't easy). I roll down to the start line, but have the peace of mind to see how I handle the very easy hill back to the top, before I attempt the techy stuff on this half of the lap.

Nothing.

Mate, you got out there and had a crack. That's a win in itself. Many wouldn't even be able to commit to trying (Go away mirror, I don't need you right now!).

Yeah, it didn't work out as hoped - but that just means you learnt some stuff and got a bit of a preview for the next one. And most importantly - you didn't axe yourself during the mental fog of no sleep or food (digestion)!

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Those events were fun but are really tough mentally and physically.
That was the part I couldn't work out.

I've done 18hrs of Melrose. There's one climb here in Fox Creek that's properly steep, the rest are manageable with a couple of pinches. I was many many more hours into the 18hr when I started to struggle. Was not making any sense at all at the time. Especially seeing I had put more time and effort in to training for this one.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Dont be so hard on yourself, you know you can pump out 18hrs with a decent result. You have been doing a lot more work lately and less riding so maybe the 24 solo was a big ask + the antibiotics wouldn't have helped for the physical part.

I remember the only 24 I did (BTW factored a sleep in for 5hrs from 11pm till 4am), at 9am'ish a fast 6hr bloke I know (also done several 24 solos) rode up behind me and said 'Billy hows the legs' I mumbled 'legs feel alright', he then said hows your head... thats when it hit me, its a mental game and I was fighting my head the whole way, my head was fucked, full of thoughts of how much more I needed to do before I could throw the towel in. Wasn't pleasant and I'll never attempt do one again :)

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Not even threats to take your lads bike away?

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub

Did that until the half way point at 2am and decide I'm done. I'm having an hour sleep. That became two, then before I know it, it is 6am and I'm sitting on a camp chair in the tent freezing my nuts off. Go back out, convince myself to climb back on the bike (wasn't easy). I roll down to the start line, but have the presence of mind to see how I handle the very easy hill back to the top, before I attempt the techy stuff on this half of the lap.

Nothing.

That's still a massive effort. I've never ridden 100km let alone 130km. That kind of racing it tough as you are usually riding with other categories like teams or shorter times, so it's hard to just keep to your pace and not feel like you are just getting blitzed by everyone.