What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland

slowmick

38-39"
Caught up with my cousin to do some urban riding around Melbourne. It's been 15+ years since he used to be a regular in the CDB so we spent the morning trying to figure out where all of the stair gaps, drops and wall rides had gone. A down hill bike is a terrible choice for the skate park but it matched my skills perfectly. 5 hours in the glorious sunshine talking shit and pretending we were young again.

1682851670920.png

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Got out for a short pedal around town to test out a dog seat thingy I've been making. It's not very fancy but works a treat.

View attachment 399234

He's more chilled about that than I would've guessed. Better pray he doesn't spot a rabbit though!

slowmick

38-39"
Started to build my new rig up finally, however having issues with chainring touching frame anyone help me out with what I'm doing wrong?

Dumb question - is it an offset chainring for a non boost setup? It seems to me dished "in" moving it closer the frame.
It is a sweet looking frame. Hope you get it sorted easily.

crash3

Likes Dirt
Finally got my new rear tyre fitted. Are continental tyres known to be hard to seat? And for that matter, un-seat?
Had to seat it with a tube, then un-seat with a screwdriver (no damage luckily, but felt sketchy as) to remove and re-seat again.

Too bad the trails will be mush after that weekend of rain, won't get to ride until we're back from holidays :(

Edit: thought you'd enjoy my sealant mishap getting the old tyre off

Attachments

Last edited:

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Finally got my new rear tyre fitted. Are continental tyres known to be hard to seat? And for that matter, un-seat?
Had to seat it with a tube, then un-seat with a screwdriver (no damage luckily, but felt sketchy as) to remove and re-seat again.

Too bad the trails will be mush after that weekend of rain, won't get to ride until we're back from holidays :(

Edit: thought you'd enjoy my sealant mishap getting the old tyre off
In my experience with older Conti's - they are super tight and shit to seat.Haven't tried the newer range yet

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
In my experience with older Conti's - they are super tight and shit to seat.Haven't tried the newer range yet
Yes, tight as fck ! The XC and Gravel tyres are OK but the beefier tyres are hard to get on.

I remember telling #1 that his Der Kaisers would be getting cut off his Bonty rims. Didnt help that Bontrager rims have a hard plastic strip instead of tubeless tape which reduces the rim valley 'drop' and increases circumference. It was a battle.

crash3

Likes Dirt
Yes, tight as fck ! The XC and Gravel tyres are OK but the beefier tyres are hard to get on.

I remember telling #1 that his Der Kaisers would be getting cut off his Bonty rims. Didnt help that Bontrager rims have a hard plastic strip instead of tubeless tape which reduces the rim valley 'drop' and increases circumference. It was a battle.
I had the same with the Kenda Booster Pro my dog put his tooth through - had to be cut off the rim.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Ah the dreaded Easton Haven hubs. Made from a special combination of cheese and hand grenade.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
One of the kids bikes had Easton hubs. I reckon I put 4 sets of bearings through them. Bearings were way undersized for the duty.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
One of the kids bikes had Easton hubs. I reckon I put 4 sets of bearings through them. Bearings were way undersized for the duty.
They are a really nice wheelset but the hubs are a weak point. They are super light and feel great to ride. Has improved ye olde quite a bit. I'm not into proprietary hubs but as a wheelset these things are pretty fine. I've had these on for almost 2 years now.

The front wheel has been problem free.

The earlier rear hubs had a preload adjuster that was prone to coming loose. Mine came loose a bit once but hasn't moved much since. A work around was to locktight the preload adjuster to stop it moving but I haven't had to go that far and just go sparingly on lube on the axle threads. I was lucky enough to get a grab bag of Easton spares from a distributor and have spare axles, end caps, updated adjusters, spoke nipples and a few freehubs on hand so I'm all in now.

They use 680n/690n bearings which is in line with what DT and other manufacturers use. Nothing too exotic there unless you are keen on ceramic bearings. The freehub uses 3 group of pawls with 2 pawls clubbed next to each other. I've heard the horror stories but I have been mostly problem free to date. A regular freehub lube and inspection is a good thing but they a very easy to strip down with a few allen keys in 10 minutes if you take your time. The hubs has never slipped or anything like that.

I think like most bike bits, all have their quirks and it is up to you spend a bit of time on it and get figure how to maintain it. I'm fine to do regular freehub clean and bearing inspection since when they are running well then they are hard not to like. If it all goes badly then I can always build something else with DT hubs,