What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

slowmick

38-39"
I took my bike for a lovely drive to Silvan and realised I left my shoes at home on York Road. Back home deflated I fixed up my wife's bike so we could go for a whole family ice cream ride this afternoon. 6.6 km around the neighbourhood on a nice sunny day. Took a chuck out of my thumb on a brake disc while doing maintenance for good measure.

Last edited:

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Nice Anzac Day ride in the RNP at Loftus. Bit moist in parts so bike needed a bath when I got back. Saw very few riders, except one eeeb smashing it up the climb after asking me for directions to start of a trail I just exited. Found a new short xc loop near the car park that I’ll bring the kids back to.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Late night damper mod and bleed.

Been gathering a bunch of random small springs (because I had no idea what size I needed :D ) to swap the weak arse compression base valve spring for something a bit stiffer. Then re-bled the damper with Motorex 2.5w.

View attachment 399107
View attachment 399108
Do you mean the spring on the IFP? It just needs to be strong enough to stop cavitation. It won't have any noticeable effect on your compression valving. Also if you get the spring length wrong it can coil bind before the self bleed ports are open.

What are your trying to achieve with the mod?

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Do you mean the spring on the IFP? It just needs to be strong enough to stop cavitation. It won't have any noticeable effect on your compression valving. Also if you get the spring length wrong it can coil bind before the self bleed ports are open.

What are your trying to achieve with the mod?
Nah not the IFP spring, just the small poppet spring for the LSC bypass circuit. Been reading a bit on the MTBR thread for this damper and one of the theories is that on fast repeated hits (braking bumps etc) the LSC plate tends to float and you get bypass on compressions as well which is kind of how it felt up at buller recently.
IMG_20230426_080131.jpg

crash3

Likes Dirt
Signed up for this weekends dusk to dark 3hr at Coondoo, so decided to get some pre-work laps in.
20 mins in, feeling fast, then cop a rear flat. No probs, rope plugs seal well enough, but my Pro components XS pump wont get the tyre to a pressure that I can ride.
Walk for 40 mins, then 5 mins from the carpark a lovely bloke named Ross drove down the fire trail to pick me up and drop me too my car. Bloody legend.
Off to the LBS for a better pump I guess.
IMG-2925.jpg

IMG-2927.jpg

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Interesting. Which charger is that?
Just the Charger RC.

Quite an extensive thread on mtbr about it. This one was a take-off (out?) from someone upgrading to a Charger 2.1 so I snapped it up to replace the MOCO damper I had previously.

Overall it's been pretty good, but I'm always tinkering so thought I'd try this. Got an aliexpress shim kit on the way too so once it turns up, I'll pull the compression assembly back out, mill the dished "piston" flat and add some shims.

crash3

Likes Dirt
Signed up for this weekends dusk to dark 3hr at Coondoo, so decided to get some pre-work laps in.
20 mins in, feeling fast, then cop a rear flat. No probs, rope plugs seal well enough, but my Pro components XS pump wont get the tyre to a pressure that I can ride.
Walk for 40 mins, then 5 mins from the carpark a lovely bloke named Ross drove down the fire trail to pick me up and drop me too my car. Bloody legend.
Off to the LBS for a better pump I guess.
View attachment 399110
View attachment 399111
Update - tyre is rooted.
Won't hold over 15 psi no matter how many plugs and how much sealant I put in.
Off to the LBS I go!

crash3

Likes Dirt
Might need a mud tyre for the race this weekend..
I was thinking that. I still have the Schwable Hans Dampf that came on there, that'd be decently suited I think.
Thats if they don't can the race altogether, 20-40mm rain predicted, can't imagine SCUM would want to destroy the trail like that for a non championship event.

You entered @Tubbsy?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
You entered @Tubbsy?
I haven't as I think I'll be in Canberra on the weekend.

Had a hit out on Sunday afternoon, but it was a bit too wet so I abandoned after a lap. That sandy, gritty mud gets everywhere you don't want it.