What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Another 100km Odyssey in the bag.

I know it's "the hardest race in the country" blah blah blah, but they have a un un-healthy obsession with c-grade logging tracks. First of 3 loops was on them, no problem there. Second loop was through all the single track Forrest has to offer. Perfect, thats what 99% of the riders who aren't elite level semi-pros go to Forrest for. Final loop was up fuck-off steep poorly maintained fire road, and then down steeper, even less maintained logging tracks. I was feeling amazingly good before the final loop. It sucked all the fun out of an other wise fantastic day. Now if rhe order of loop two and three were swapped, then fair play. But yeah, it was just rubbish tracks for the sake of rubbish tracks.

Completely fried a pair of pads 20km in to the day on one of the aforementioned logging tracks. Easy 15% gradient, maybe more. Everyone was hard on the stoppers to not bin it in a rut. Bloody thing sounds like a B-Double pulling up. They came good during the race with all the dust flying around scubbing them up. But loop 3 fried them again. I think they're stuffed. Hopefully the rotor scrubs up.

Right before the first frying, I was just nearing the top of the climb when a toss-bag on a Specialized and his mates came past saying 4-pots and 180mm rotors were just overkill, 160s are all you ever need. I dont know if they were talking about me, and I really don't care. But for the whole ridiculous descent I was thinking "how are you puny little brakes coping now douchebag!"

@ozzybmx mx i saw the Yoinker right near the end of his race. He looked well shagged. Probably should've took that as a warning for me!

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Otway Odyssey today. The course notes underreported the elevation by quite a margin. It was very very tough. Also the elite guys went out pretty slow which was bad because it meant I burnt matches I shouldn’t have sitting in the front group for the first ~20km and then spent the next 80km hating life.

Good to have done it but not in a rush to go back. The course was actually a bit shit. Proportionally heavy on gravel roads/4wd tracks and my memories of the Yaugher trails were a bit rose-tinted in hindsight… they’re not easy to hold momentum on and could use some love.

Anyway, big day, cooked legs, wrecked wrists.

Cardy George

Otway Odyssey today. The course notes underreported the elevation by quite a margin. It was very very tough. Also the elite guys went out pretty slow which was bad because it meant I burnt matches I shouldn’t have sitting in the front group for the first ~20km and then spent the next 80km hating life.

Good to have done it but not in a rush to go back. The course was actually a bit shit. Proportionally heavy on gravel roads/4wd tracks and my memories of the Yaugher trails were a bit rose-tinted in hindsight… they’re not easy to hold momentum on and could use some love.

Anyway, big day, cooked legs, wrecked wrists.

View attachment 386658
Yeah, the trails themselves are a bit blown out compared to how they were last year and the year before.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Yeah, definitely. I went in thinking 5:30 would be a good target, ended up 6:11. 5:30 would have been top 30 alongside @ozzybmx ’s lad… 10 min behind recently retired road pro Mitch Docker.
Was a lot harder course today and yeah, more climbing. I was was aiming for sub 5:00, finished 5:45. Felt like I rode well. That last loop, even the downhill hurt the body.
Mitch Docker probably thinks I’m a dick. I was putting my esky down at transition when someone else put theirs down next to mine at the same time. I look up and it was him. I was star struck and said ‘Hey, I know you, you’re famous, I’ve seen you race on TV’. And for the life of me could not get his name out of my mouth.

Cardy George

2022 Odyssey done and dusted! The boys had their rides today. 10km for the Sender who blitzed it on the new bike. Still coming to terms with operating gears though.

And The Vice Captain completed the 30km in 2hr 02m. And he is shagged. Couple weeks ago he asked if he could do the 50km, sorry bud I've already paid. He crossed line the line today and announced he'd only do the 50 if they took all the hills out :D.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Got out for a nice cathartic ride.
Did the same loop as last week, but quicker average and less walking - once the once which I’m happy about. Need to increase the distance and get some hills legs too.

Today also felt great. Bike felt good after I took 2 clicks of rebound off, and feel like the front is lagging behind now. New forks are in the post so that should help. Also been resting on the back of my hands and it’s making them sore so need a longer stem, particularly as I’m jacking the front with longer forks. 60mm should be right