What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Scotty T

Walks the walk
$1000+ for a set of i9 Hydras... reckon I'd be feeling something too :D
"Would having a nearly six times faster hub be the magic fairy dust that would allow me to clean tricky bits of trail easier than when I was using the already quick Torch hub? The answer was an emphatic not really. But even though it didn’t make much of an immediate difference to my riding, I was still pretty excited about it. The first thing that hit home about the Hydra was that it simply felt better. It has a higher quality feel and it’s decidedly faster. "

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
"Would having a nearly six times faster hub be the magic fairy dust that would allow me to clean tricky bits of trail easier than when I was using the already quick Torch hub? The answer was an emphatic not really. But even though it didn’t make much of an immediate difference to my riding, I was still pretty excited about it. The first thing that hit home about the Hydra was that it simply felt better. It has a higher quality feel and it’s decidedly faster. "

I had a set of torches that I got cheap on run-out. They are still my all time favourite hub out of the wheels I've had over the years.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I had a set of torches that I got cheap on run-out. They are still my all time favourite hub out of the wheels I've had over the years.
I have got lots of sets of Torches. Lovely hubs but they still have the odd issue like warped freehubs and worn out drive rings. Parts are exxy too. A freehub is $250!!!!!

The Funn Fantoms on AliExpress are my go to replacements now as 102poe is more than good enough and the internals have held up well. The freehubs are the same as the Spank Hex series and cost half as much as the Torch ones.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

cammas

Seamstress
CarbonTi, 56 POE, and quieter than Hope but loud enough to be heard by the racers I'm creeping up on. :mad:
See the problem is you are using them wrong, from what I was told noisy hubs are a pressure device.

When racing the point of noisy hubs is when you get behind someone you keep putting in small pedal strokes then coast so they hear you, so they go faster thinking they’re holding you up and keep doing it till they move or blow up.

Then you keep doing this as you work your way through the field, the catch is you need to be fit enough to do it in the first place :p

DMan

I have got lots of sets of Torches. Lovely hubs but they still have the odd issue like warped freehubs and worn out drive rings. Parts are exxy too. A freehub is $250!!!!!

The Funn Fantoms on AliExpress are my go to replacements now as 102poe is more than good enough and the internals have held up well. The freehubs are the same as the Spank Hex series and cost half as much as the Torch ones.

Thanks for the tip! I bought a Funn Fantom off MTB Direct and was completely bummed when it arrived and it was a 29er and not the 27.5 I needed..... And they couldn't send me a replacement. I'll check out Aliexpress now as I still want to build a wheel for the mullet but can't find a hub.

DMan

Can you send me a link please?

DMan

Huh? They have 5 left.

When I put it in my cart it said it was a front. I couldn't get an MS hub into my cart? That was from that link you posted.

DMan

Huh? They have 5 left.

How are you getting the Funn hubs to come up? If I put Funn Fantom into the search bar I only get Koozer and other shitty hubs turning up? Am I missing something?

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Re: high POE/zero- or low-lag hubs ... Initial "feel" difference is often not very perceptible when you make the switch. You really feel the difference when you swap back to your old sloppy hubs!