Warburton trail updates

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Wow, some nut jobs in there. Not good.
P.33 is fucked in the head. Says from the outset there is no evidence to support his argument then makes it anyway, somehow equating MTB with NRL gang rape.

It is well documented that male cultures that encourage tough guy stereotypes (characterised as ‘toxic masculinity’) are more likely to have higher violence and family violence than ones that don’t. Among mountain bikers this is the precise culture that is encouraged.

Wha??? No evidence provided for that either. If anything MTB is the antithesis of footy aussie oi bro culture imo.

I thought NIMBYism was bad in SA.....

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Yeah that's a particularly fucked up argument. Open public submissions on contentious projects will always attract nut jobs (and I'm sure if we read all 2707 submissions there'll be plenty of "MTB is sick, let us do skids, who cares about the wingless stonefly fuck you" ones too).. DELWP's job to read them all and weigh up the genuine concerns from the spurious and advise the minister. Fingers crossed for a good outcome - don't be surprised if the solution is to scale back the proposal or carve it up into stages with interim review points.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Soo much ridiculous in there, I don't think they have done themselves any favors with a lot of that absolute bollocks.
Imo it's a bunch of ancient fossilised local c***s who don't want to share or like any change. Depressingly common out that way in my experience with projects I've worked on in the past - will make the most ridiculous arguments to forestall anything new.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
P.33 is fucked in the head. Says from the outset there is no evidence to support his argument then makes it anyway, somehow equating MTB with NRL gang rape.
I was very much wtf-ing reading through that. It was also by happenstance the first submission I opened at random and read.

Plenty of praise and sensible submissions as the majority which is good to see though, I still have hope.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I was very much wtf-ing reading through that. It was also by happenstance the first submission I opened at random and read.

Plenty of praise and sensible submissions as the majority which is good to see though, I still have hope.
Yeah there is some shocking assumptions in that submission :rolleyes:
"Women are unlikely to take up mountain biking"? I was at Derby on the weekend and there were more women out than blokes. Riding in groups too, not just the "following there partner along"
"We also know that it is rarely taken up by people over fifty" This is bullshit too.
She clearly has too much time on her hands.
Fudging the figures with "walking" (37%) compared to "bushwalking"(5%) by adding the two together when only bushwalking would be done in the bush but she separates all other cycling from mountain biking so that looks much smaller.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Imo it's a bunch of ancient fossilised local c***s who don't want to share or like any change. Depressingly common out that way in my experience with projects I've worked on in the past - will make the most ridiculous arguments to forestall anything new.
NIMBYs, Horsey people, fundamentalist bushwalkers and just generally crusty old fuckwits. Could be a bunch of weed growers out that way also.
would help to explain the NIMBY, Khunt! sentiments. IMO

Stredda

NIMBYs, Horsey people, fundamentalist bushwalkers and just generally crusty old fuckwits. Could be a bunch of weed growers out that way also.
would help to explain the NIMBY, Khunt! sentiments. IMO
NIMBYS are everywhere unfortunately and I've had to deal with them with the Wild Mersey trail project here in Tassie plenty of times.
Yes, there are negatives to an increase in any activity in an area but this shouldn't be a show stopper.
It's the whole "I don't do (insert activity) therefore it must be bad, type of attitude that really gets my goat.
We had a couple of "citizen bushwalkers" that have been building a whole swath of illegal walking trails just to get in first to say the approved mountain bike trails weren't there first and claim that the MTB trails had not community consultation (which is untrue) when they were building walking trail with not only no community consultation but no landholder permission as well.
It also highlights why we as members of the mountain biking community must always set a good example, do the right thing and respect others, as riding designated walking only trails, building illegal trails, and just being a dick, doesn't help the cause. Actively calling out negative behavior from other mountain bikers is encouraged too, as it only takes one bad report to tar the whole community.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
NIMBYS are everywhere unfortunately and I've had to deal with them with the Wild Mersey trail project here in Tassie plenty of times.
Yes, there are negatives to an increase in any activity in an area but this shouldn't be a show stopper.
It's the whole "I don't do (insert activity) therefore it must be bad attitude that really gets my goat.
We had a couple of "citizen bushwalkers" that have been build a whole swath of illegal walking trails just to get in first to say the approved mountain bike trails weren't there first and claim that the trails had not community consultation (which is untrue) when they were building trail with also no community consultation and not landholder permission as well.
It also highlights why we as members of the mountain biking community must always set a good example, do the right thing and respect others as riding designated walking only trails, building illegal trails, and just being a dick, doesn't help the cause. Actively calling out negative behavior from other mountain bikers is encouraged too, as it only takes one bad report to tar the whole community.
Exactly. If we are to grow and progress as a sport and culture, it’s the culture that is miss interpreted, we need to step up to mentor and guide the general MTB community as a whole. Kids being told by the ranger to stop digging is never going to work. A bunch of riders telling the young kids digging that they are threatening a loss of access in its entirety if they keep it up has a chance of working. Has for me in the past. I got my full poodle teenager social worker hat on when I go down this path.

The cyclocross people I’m gonna tare with a stereotypical brush and say they go out of their way to not get it. JFC. Try having the discussion about contact patch size and pressure exerted on a track on a wet day when tracks are muddy.

Stredda

I have found the MTB community are a great bunch of humans and I would like to say better than the average when it comes to social responsibility. Like any group, there are always a few bad eggs and I hope that this number will always be a small percentage.
When out on the trails these days, I am constantly blown away with the increasing diversity in mountain biking and the pastime will be better for it.

cammas

Seamstress
According to this we all prefer Pies and Pizza therefore we will not use the cafes :rolleyes:

“Our current tourists are families with children and elderly members. They are also extremely multi-cultural. Although many pack picnics, they are more likely to use our local cafes than road or mountain bikers who prefer pies or pizza but leave more upmarket cafes alone. Our current mix means that a far broader range are benefitting from the reacreational benefits of our area.”

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
“Our current tourists are families with children and elderly members. They are also extremely multi-cultural. Although many pack picnics, they are more likely to use our local cafes than road or mountain bikers who prefer pies or pizza but leave more upmarket cafes alone. Our current mix means that a far broader range are benefitting from the reacreational benefits of our area.”
Tell me you don't associate with cyclists without telling me you don't associate with cyclists

Stredda

According to this we all prefer Pies and Pizza therefore we will not use the cafes :rolleyes:

Yeah so many false assumptions in that submission with no evidence at all.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS

Remind me of how many cafes existed in Derby before the tracks were built?

Stredda

Remind me of how many cafes existed in Derby before the tracks were built?
I'm sure the Friends of Blue Tier walking group mentioned in that submission were avid cafe visitors and kept the whole community alive! ;)

While the housing prices have gone stupid in Derby and a majority of the locals have moved on, she failed to mention in her submission the huge amount of money these poor locals made when they did sell their rundown old mining cottage and the employment the construction, maintenance and servicing of the accommodation in the town provides, where the was virtually zero before.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I'm sure the Friends of Blue Tier walking group mentioned in that submission were avid cafe visitors and kept the whole community alive! ;)

While the housing prices have gone stupid in Derby and a majority of the locals have moved on, she failed to mention in her submission the huge amount of money these poor locals made when they did sell their rundown old mining cottage and the employment the construction, maintenance and servicing of the accommodation in the town provides, where the was virtually zero before.
Exactly. Unwillingness to accept progress in any form is a terrible blight on humanity.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Crikey. Some of the submissions are.. interesting. Page 36-39 (of the pdf, not the numbering in the doc), plus others.

Edit. I can't post the direct URL, the forum butchers the link. Shortened: shorturl.at/yJOZ5
I can't stop laughing at this BS, if something like this did really happen, it would have made front page news.

"One of my friends has been seriously injured and hospitalised by a physical attack from a mountain biker. He identified her and called her a “bitch” before running her down, including riding across her head. There is no doubt it was deliberate. She on the other hand, was just out for a walk and didn’t recognise who he was."