v8 supercars

Ivan

Eats Squid
The way I see it is that motor-racing is one of the few sports where men and women compete as equals. Trying to encourage more young girls to try the sport is important, not only for their participation, but also for growth of the audience. It is a business afterall.

I am not surprised V8SC would take a strict stance on anything that may discourage female participation.

Bermshot

Banned
I had to go to work at the halfway point, so missed 2hrs there. Volvo went excellent from the start. Then there was the Volvo 2nd car and the unfortunate happenings (Women should ride Motocross.)

What happened to car 33 around lap 45ish?

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Maybe yawn was a little harsh but it definitely fizzled out at the end, so much so the camera had to focus on spectators for excitement.

The mid point was pretty exciting with the rain, Shane Gisbergen is crazy good in the wet, so aggressive, I think he's my favourite racer at the moment.

And hasn't F1 died already? It should hurry up and keel over for good.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Wtf is going on with Whincup? Seemed to have a whole lot of brain fades yesterday at the death.

Mind you, the whole safety car thing has to be thought out a little better - was the implication of all that, that Whincup would have dropped a lap if he pulled in behind? Or just that he needed to wait to get the green light

redbruce

Eats Squid
The mid point was pretty exciting with the rain, Shane Gisbergen is crazy good in the wet, so aggressive, I think he's my favourite racer at the moment.
+1

Wtf is going on with Whincup? Seemed to have a whole lot of brain fades yesterday at the death.

Mind you, the whole safety car thing has to be thought out a little better -

2014 and 2105, he will be remembered as an (unsuccessful) risk taker.

I'd like to see ability to pit under safety removed.

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member

Mind you, the whole safety car thing has to be thought out a little better - was the implication of all that, that Whincup would have dropped a lap if he pulled in behind? Or just that he needed to wait to get the green light
It couldn't be simpler: The leader must stay behind the safety car until the green light is displayed and the passenger in the car hand signals to move past. He said he fucked up, fair cop but it's a pretty obvious thing to fuck up. He went ballistic after that though, smashed the fastest ever race lap and went off a couple of times trying to do so.
Some have suggested he's done this to get out of his Red Bull deal. That's fucking stupid, if he wanted to do that then he could've driven into Lowndes when the safety car took off.

Edit: Why was there no penalty for Winterbottom's pitlane infringement? He drove straight into another car!

Last edited:

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow I've missed a heap!

Please enlighten me as to what is so offensive about it? I've seen several cars driven by girls who have that sticker on their car but a girl saying it is okay?
Purely my opinion but it goes like this: If he had said it TO the girls, in a personal context, yes maybe they would have giggled at the joke. Because he said it ABOUT them TO the media as an audience, THAT is why it was so inappropriate. You've also got to consider how unwise it was for him to say that about essentially, a team car within the PRA family, and to refer to them by their gender wouldn't have been done to any other driver. Calling them the 'Supergirls' for example was their team name. Also V8 clearly want their athletes acting professionally, despite the bogan fraternity who have pepped up suggesting they 'get a sense of humor'. Consider if a member of the Australian swimming team made a similar comment to the media about a female team mate- similar to your story, that maybe the girls were slower because their 'extra bits' were creating more drag? The fine would have been higher for sure. Reynolds is a creep, never liked the guy.

These new cars certainly fall apart compared to the old rigs.
Not a wheel left on that.
Little theory called 'dissipation of energy', it's the reason Chaz survived that crash. It's sort of the whole point when you crash that the car falls apart to protect the driver.

Needed green light or to be signalled by the SC Communicator (who sits in the passenger seat). He may not have dropped the whole lap, but shit in the double stack scenario, 1st and 5th would have still been better than 1st and 19th.

Some have suggested he's done this to get out of his Red Bull deal. That's fucking stupid, if he wanted to do that then he could've driven into Lowndes when the safety car took off.

Edit: Why was there no penalty for Winterbottom's pitlane infringement? He drove straight into another car!
Doubt it, I think he's just being a little reckless knowing the championship is off the table.

Because MW redressed before an investigation was needed, it was only a light tap really anyway.

10 days til GC!!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Coulthard AND Pye confirmed at Penske next year, thats awesome! I gather we can also expect Will Power to drive the enduro's if they calendar and the planets align. Shit yeah!

redbruce

Eats Squid
Little theory called 'dissipation of energy', it's the reason Chaz survived that crash. It's sort of the whole point when you crash that the car falls apart to protect the driver.
Dissipation of energy requires plastic deformation of the safety structure to achieve. Wheels falling off (or anything else) contributes nothing to that.

There is a (reasonable) obsession with light weight components and durability suffers (eg the bending of shock shafts in V8SC's - and we're talking conventional upright shocks, not struts where there is an inherent bending moment).

Given Chas broke his leg, maybe for Car of the future 2 they need to consider a driver capsule (like DTM cars) to stop drivers flailing around like a rag doll in such accidents.

Bathurst is an inherently dangerous race track.

Last edited:

willsy01

Eats Squid
Dissipation of energy requires plastic deformation of the safety structure to achieve. Wheels falling off (or anything else) contributes nothing to that.

There is a (reasonable) obsession with light weight components and durability suffers (eg the bending of shock shafts in V8SC).

Given Chas broke his leg, maybe for Car of the future 2 they need to consider a driver capsule (like DTM cars) to stop drivers flailing around like a rag doll in such accidents.

Erebus are already using them in the Mercs.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but i'm a little miffed as to how they every allowed the shifter to be so close to the drivers leg.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid

There is a (reasonable) obsession with light weight components and durability suffers (eg the bending of shock shafts in V8SC's - and we're talking conventional upright shocks, not struts where there is an inherent bending moment).

Other good reason is that the race track is designed to prevent sudden catastrophic stops, so in that example there was no massive deceleration just glancing blows. Big g forces from sudden stops is really bad for survivability.

When you can't glance them, you put tyre walls in to absorb energy .

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Erebus are already using them in the Mercs.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but i'm a little miffed as to how they every allowed the shifter to be so close to the drivers leg.
Surely in a race car it's relevant when you are considering permanent disablement or death. A broken femur in a high speed crash is small beer - remembering you have medical attention guaranteed within a couple of minutes

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Dissipation of energy is referring to the energy required to take panels of the car, was energy NOT transferred into the internal structure/seat/driver etc. Legs/feet are inherently the worst part of the equation because so much movement is required. Ultimately drivers accept that a certain level of risk is inherent in what they do, and they chose to compete. What's your theory on the last statement however - just curious?

Not when your driver that was a contender for the championship is sidelined.
This actually has zero impact on your likelihood of getting injured/disabled in a crash :wink:

redbruce

Eats Squid
What's your theory on the last statement however - just curious?
Didn't think there was any doubt about Bathurst being one of our more inherently dangerous and consequently exciting tracks.

Topography, layout and public road origin produce a unique and exciting track. It is often compared to Nurburgring (Green Hell), also recognised as one of the worlds fastest and more dangerous (and therefore) exciting tracks.

While there are crashes at all race tracks, those at Bathurst are often typified by being big and spectacular (who could forget the pile up at McPhillamy after Chrissy Cole clipped the barrier on entry to the corner in 1983). Chaz has had two major accidents there in three years for starters, Radisich ended his career in another one. Many have prompted changes to the track (eg the Chase in response to Burgman incident) and much work has been done to do the best to manage risk without destroying the character of the track. None the less, the remaining risk factors are the reason we no longer see open wheelers and motorbikes (I have fond memories of attending the Easter races back in the day) there.

I'm neither questioning its existence nor dismissing it as too dangerous. It's one of my favorite races of the year.

Last edited:

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Didn't think there was any doubt about Bathurst being one of our more inherently dangerous and consequently exciting tracks.

Topography, layout and public road origin produce a unique and exciting track. It is often compared to Nurburgring (Green Hell), also recognised as one of the worlds fastest and more dangerous (and therefore) exciting tracks.
I'm neither questioning its existence nor dismissing it as too dangerous. It's one of my favorite races of the year.
Yeah certainly, the word 'dangerous' is pretty up for interpretation. Street circuits by nature tend to leave a much smaller margin of error that can be got away with unscathed. I tend to think the event itself and the hype/culture/cult following nearly lend as much to the danger as the actual track. That is to say, that everyone goes there, drives at 120% and leaves nothing in the tank (PUN!). There's a higher percentage of crashes and hospitalisations from that round than any other across all categories. It's the mythical Mountain air I think...

Open wheelers, no brainer you wouldn't put them there! They're not suited to most street circuits... this tends to be why....

[video=youtube;sFymTeg2-ow]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFymTeg2-ow[/video]

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I didn't get to watch any of this weekends events but I'm surprised to see that Aaren Russell won the V8 utes. A mid-level Dunlop series driver - first race in a ute, first time on the track, and still scooped the trophy. I wouldn't have thought the drivers of the utes would have been that much slower than the dunlop drivers, but perhaps I was wrong!