v8 supercars

redbruce

Eats Squid
;) Heads up, "UBetter realise the odds are almost all of you lose your money" does heaps of markets for anyone confident in their choices!
There, fixed it for you smile/wink/smirk or otherwise.

Now that is a sure bet!

Back on topic, PRA seem to be the ones to beat.

However, it is Bathurst. Let's hope more like the NRL Grand Final than the AFL GF to watch.

EDIT: grammer

Last edited:

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was a genuine FYI because it's the first year I've even found a company that allows more just than a simple 'win' bet.

Just a bit of fun, not sure what the need was for the terrible english rewording...

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Also, Gold Coast is creeping ever closer
I'll be at the Illinbah open day on the Saturday of the V8's and am very tempted to head to the race on Sunday but the cost is too steep. It's $75 for basic entry and I'm in saving mode for another two trips so nah, I'll head home and watch the Foxtel coverage.
Foxtel did their usual Tuesday show and covered last year's race last night. It was a monumental event that you could not have scripted, here's hoping this year is just as amazing.

mtb1611

Seymour
Heading to the GC event in a few weeks. Not normally my gig but am up there for a Buck's Weekend (why these need to be held interstate is beyond me...) so will take in the race and Cold Chisel haha!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Before first practice kicks off in thirty minutes, I would like to make it known that I think the girl's team of De Silvestro and Gracie will get annihilated in the race (if they even start it) and cause a major accident. De Silvestro is good enough to drive, Gracie hasn't done anything other than buy a drive and run back of the field in everything she's done. Aside from the media stunt that it is and being gender equal, girl power blah fucking blah, they shouldn't be there. There's too many great drivers that should be considered before this pair.
There, I said it. :llama:

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I'll just leave this here.
Bring on electric.
[video=youtube;6eGhjhx8O9M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eGhjhx8O9M[/video]

akashra

Eats Squid
Look, I'm a huge Tesla supporter, but the thing you need to know about the Model S is that it doesn't come close to the BMW i8 or other cars under braking. Sure it gets off the line well, but its handling isn't spectacular, and it takes a lot longer to pull up. Over the space of a lap it's going to be pretty even with most other cars in a similar market, but where you'll see the difference is it annihilates everything coming out of the corners, but has to brake so much earlier and take corners at a much lower speed. A lot of the efficiency comes from having quite narrow tyres that reduce rolling resistance.

I've already made it well and truly clear that I'll be first in line to order a Model 3 when they're available to pre-order.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I'll just leave this here.
Bring on electric.
[video=youtube;6eGhjhx8O9M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eGhjhx8O9M[/video]
Ha! How about we see the video where Tim Slade is allowed to drive the car off the line at full tilt. Don't get me wrong, the Tesla is a chariot but that isn't a true indication of it's worth. A V8 Super isn't blindingly fast off the line but once it grips up, it's over. This video doesn't show that.
The most impressive thing in that video is the wrap on that HSV! It looks awesome!

akashra

Eats Squid
Only a full second slower than the second slowest car, and a full five seconds off the pace. I'd like to say "no big deal" jokingly, but can't even get there with a straight face.

Ha! How about we see the video where Tim Slade is allowed to drive the car off the line at full tilt. Don't get me wrong, the Tesla is a chariot but that isn't a true indication of it's worth. A V8 Super isn't blindingly fast off the line but once it grips up, it's over. This video doesn't show that.
I don't think the Model S is particularly a car you'd buy if you're a rev-head. XR8 and SS owners aren't really the target market.

And then there's range. My biggest concern with the Model 3 is range - for example, I don't see myself getting to MTB event in Ballarat or Bendigo and back on a single charge. For that reason it means I actually might have to hang on to the current car - it may end up living at the parents house 90% of the time and just 'borrowed' whenever I need to go to an event. There's a practicality issue that needs to be addressed... but a different kind of practicality to what ultimately stopped me buying a Caterham 7 (ie, where the hell do you put a bike in a Caterham?)

Last edited:

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
but a different kind of practicality to what ultimately stopped me buying a Caterham 7 (ie, where the hell do you put a bike in a Caterham?)
I reckon some sort of rack could have been fashioned onto the cage on mine... I never tried it and just used a different car though!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
The most impressive thing in that video is the wrap on that HSV! It looks awesome!
It's a bit average up close though... I drove that car earlier this year and it isn't much quicker than stock until you get up in the rev range. Above 3,000 rpm it is quicker than mine but still not by much. The R8 with the Mag blower was more impressive. Ludicrous mode ALL the time.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll be at the Illinbah open day on the Saturday of the V8's and am very tempted to head to the race on Sunday but the cost is too steep. It's $75 for basic entry and I'm in saving mode for another two trips so nah, I'll head home and watch the Foxtel coverage.
Foxtel did their usual Tuesday show and covered last year's race last night. It was a monumental event that you could not have scripted, here's hoping this year is just as amazing.
Heading to the GC event in a few weeks. Not normally my gig but am up there for a Buck's Weekend (why these need to be held interstate is beyond me...) so will take in the race and Cold Chisel haha!
See you there team!

Also what the shit is up with all the tesla chat on RB lately?!?! Hahahah :llama:

Two massive thumbs down to David Reynolds today. I've always thought he was a bit of a creep, but the comment referring to Gracie and De Silvestro's entry as the 'pussy wagon' was so far out of line. What saddens me most about it, is the bogan cheer squad who are condoning the comment. Reynolds apologise (after being issued a $25,000 fine) but fuck me, how is it even a question of IF they were offended, just flat out wrong. As a woman involved in motorsport I'm beyond pissed.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Two massive thumbs down to David Reynolds today. I've always thought he was a bit of a creep, but the comment referring to Gracie and De Silvestro's entry as the 'pussy wagon' was so far out of line. What saddens me most about it, is the bogan cheer squad who are condoning the comment. Reynolds apologise (after being issued a $25,000 fine) but fuck me, how is it even a question of IF they were offended, just flat out wrong. As a woman involved in motorsport I'm beyond pissed.
Please enlighten me as to what is so offensive about it? I've seen several cars driven by girls who have that sticker on their car but a girl saying it is okay? There's far tougher things that are going to happen to many drivers over the weekend, this topic shouldn't be getting the press it is because it isn't that big a deal. A big deal is people bashing women, people raping women, people selling women to marry a person three times their age when they aren't even a teenager yet. Those things are problem's, what Dave Reynolds said is not a problem and isn't worth reporting on.

Exhibit A: I played netball with a bunch of girls socially in a mixed comp. I'm a good basketball player so naturally I was made the shooter on the team. We kicked arse, I scored more points than I can remember but was still outclassed by the girls who've dominated the sport for so long. The write up in the newspaper suggested I was slower up and down the court as I had the extra male gear that was foreign on a netball court but the bigger balls I'm used to carrying made shooting easy. I saw the play on words and just giggled, no harm was intended and I never think anything of it until the times that gender equality come up.

Onto things more relevant to motor racing; Cam Waters has set a quicker time than Chaz Mostert in the latest practice this morning, that is a damn formidable duo! Surprisingly, Bourdais isn't firing too well, he's not gaining much ground on lap times but he could be doing the high fuel load runs.

Joly Joe Rider

Likes Dirt
His leg doesn't look real straight at the end of the in car footage
These new cars certainly fall apart compared to the old rigs.
Not a wheel left on that.

I fear its only a matter of time until the next tragedy.
It was lucky this was in qualy and not a race.
he was a sitting duck in a fairly blind part of the track.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Yeah yeah, busted femur and wrist......

Talking about pussy's, ROTFL at the pussy wagon comments.

Same team, bloke who likes to drink out of a sweaty race shoe calls the all girls team the pussy wagon, gets $25,000 fine inside of 2 hours post comment, gets numerous interview requests, and top story this morning instead of Chaz.

So are the v8 supercar mgmt getting a bit carried away with their Correctness? Maybe they think they are in the public service........

Do love the TV great looks of concern that they do so well