US trade war - suggested retaliatory tariffs?

wilso1

Likes Bikes
With US tariffs on steel and aluminium likely to apply to Australian exports, Australia will at least get the opportunity to impose some tariffs on US exports as retaliation.

The EU's Chief Juncker has suggested Europe impose tariffs on Harley Davidsons, Levis and bourbon, (and summed it up with the comment "We can also do stupid.").

Any suggestions for Australia's list?
- I'm sure someone will say SRAM products, but there's enough good stuff in there that a blanket-ban will harm our riding (and most of it is made in Taiwan)
- I'm all for high tariffs on Harley Davidsons - hate those noisy things.
- I think Apple products are generally not worth the money, so I'd happily tariff those out of existence.

I'm almost disappointed that I can't think of more US-made products I'd like banned.

What US goods would you like to see the end of?

Binaural

Eats Squid
It's pretty magnificently stupid even for Trump. He's tried to start a trade war with China but instead has kicked things off with Canada, the EU, South Korea and Australia. Way to look after your allies, dumbass!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
In the lead up to his rose to power Trump spoke a lot about the imbalance of NAFTA, including specifically ranting about the trade imbalance with Canada. So I don't think getting up Canada's nose has been an accident.

As for applying revenge tariffs...perhaps the list of those American companies that are known to shift profits and under pay their taxes in Australia should be targeted. Their products, services, right to operate, leases, assets, property, real estate...the works. Get those dollars rolling in by any means necessary.

And also buddy up closer with our significant trade partners (like China and Japan) while forging new ones that are in direct competition with American interests. Anyone else remember the outrage when the AWB and Iraq issue came to light?

moorey

call me Mia
You really think we have anythin, or we could do anything that he cares about? I mean personally cares about? He only does things that benefit him personally.
The name escapes me, but a mate of his sold off his stakes in about $100m in aluminum and steel a few days before Trumps announcement. They are now worth about $40m. You don’t reckon Trump got something out of having a quiet word in his ear?

moorey

call me Mia
The EU's Chief Juncker has suggested Europe impose tariffs on Harley Davidsons, Levis and bourbon, (and summed it up with the comment "We can also do stupid.").
This was a particular protest against products from specific states, who’s senators/governors supported Trumps proposal, btw. It’s symbolic.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Aside from Turner and Intense I’m struggling to think of much good stuff coming out of the US. Pretty sure the yanks couldn’t think of anything good coming from Australia.

At least China loves us ....

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Surely their primary product is entertainment...good bye to great American stuff like professional wrestling, bland arse day time television, and other forms of cultural proliferation.