Tyre refusing to seat - any suggestions

DrHarry

Do you feel lucky? Do you pup?
Hi all,

I had a Goodyear Tyre that I'd bought cheap online that I could absolutely not get to seal properly, it was quite frustrating. Added extra sealant and everything, I could identify where the air was leaking, but it wouldn't stop.

Ok, onto Plan B.

I found an old Minion SS tyre on my shelf that still had plenty of life left in it, but had been sitting there for a couple of years.

However, when it's on the rim it absolutely refuses to seat the bead. I've used two different compressors, several CO2 canisters and tried inflating it with the valve core in and out, but it just refuses.

My guess is that maybe sitting on the shelf has let the rubber harden up so it won't shift and flex.

My next move will be to try and inflate it with a tube inside, pop the bead and then take the tube out and try again with sealant.

Does anyone have any better ideas or suggestions, or am I just better off pissing the tyre off and buying a new one?

cheers,

Harry

DrHarry

Do you feel lucky? Do you pup?
No need to deflate, as it never inflated! However, I reckon the tube with the soapy water might work, I'll give it a try.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I have the same issue with some new Pirellis on stans. Had a bit of trouble with the Mary's but they seated after some faffing. I put them back and will tube the pirellis for a few days. Just have to remember to buy a tube...

jrewing

Eats Squid
This has motivated me to try to get the last bit of a park compound big Betty to seat. Lubed it and it’s sitting there at 70psi.
Do I dare go 80? The pumps struggling. Or for compressor up and relive Whistler bike shop memories…

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
This has motivated me to try to get the last bit of a park compound big Betty to seat. Lubed it and it’s sitting there at 70psi.
Wire bead ?

More soap, deflate and use a 50:50 water/washing up liquid mix in a spray bottle and make sure its got a good coating on the tyre bead and rim bed all the way around.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Yep. Ok I will double the mix sir! Let’s avoid the boom.
We have had quite a few of them as they were the only tyre Demolition-kid couldnt kill. Just put a set on the missus ebike a few days ago, they are a 27+ width rim so they inflated with a track pump easily but popping the bead needed a spray.

I remember having a good tussle with them on other rims... bloody awesome indestructible tyres for ~$20 :) if you can deal with the 1500g weight.

jrewing

Eats Squid
It’s like a fucking submarine movie. It’s almost there but it’s at 77psi!
next it’ll want me to 180 it and head towards the torpedo!!!!!!

jrewing

Eats Squid
82 psi got it near enough and can see the bead line showing just a little now even at 26 psi riding pressure. Let’s see if a few berms do anything seeing it’s closer. A weekend at Maydena didn’t seat it the other day, which I thought it would.
and my wheel looks less buckelled now.

jrewing

Eats Squid
We have had quite a few of them as they were the only tyre Demolition-kid couldnt kill. Just put a set on the missus ebike a few days ago, they are a 27+ width rim so they inflated with a track pump easily but popping the bead needed a spray.

I remember having a good tussle with them on other rims... bloody awesome indestructible tyres for ~$20 :) if you can deal with the 1500g weight.