Tunes

dunndog

Eats Squid
Ok Guys and Gals. Everyone likes music. (Well, if that's what they still call it these days). And we all have different songs/ artists/ styles that magically transport us away from the 4 degree workshop at 8am on a Monday morning that we find ourselves in - or is that just LUCKY me? - to various other places we once were, or we long to be. Every now and then you hear a song off a video that puts scenes from that movie in your head (I'm thinking MUSE and NWD 10) or a song from your long lost childhood or earlier adulthood puts you right back in that caddy doin the night time desert drive into Vegas,or maybe a golden oldie pops up, out of the blue, not even maybe a song you particularly liked at any period, but with age comes wisdom and suddenly you see it for what it is - a bloody good piece of work. A few weeks ago, whilst drowning my audio senses in what is the airwaves gold of Melbourne's TripleM (yes I love footy) I heard Rebel Yell by Billy Idol. Never was a fan, never liked him, never liked the song. Don't like most of the songs on TripleM, but it shits on Nova.But that day for some reason I thought "God, that song pumps - how good would a DH segment be with that?" And since then, everytime I hear it, I down the tools and imagine myself tearing strips off everything from my locals to Whistlers biggest(never been there so they're imaginary trails in fictional forests but who cares, beats work).
I know I'm not alone here. So what song from a bygone era turns your knob? Puts a smile on your dial? Transports you to another dimension? And gets you pumped to go do things that your mind and body simply won't allow? As inappropriate as it may be, it happens. I saw a vid on here a while ago and the song was Belinda Carlisle's Leave A Light On For Me, hilarious and a bloody enjoyable watch. So give it up peoples. Rebel Yell for me - More, more more.

Exie

Likes Dirt
Some would argue I have no taste at all, especially in Music.

Particularly as I'm normally a Chicane/Faithless/BT type of guy.... but when I'm down the YouYangs, I like to get pumped up with a bit of Dire Straits! Nothing like the edgy guitar sounds on "Money for Nothing" turned up real loud...

... then on the way home, I like that track "Why Worry" ... its sorta calm and relaxing, a good wind-down tune.

rone

Eats Squid
A single track that I now love is 'Run to you' by Bryan Adams. I've previously always considered him a bit shit. I now acknowledge 'Reckless' as a good album.

ZZ Top have to have one of the fattest sounds considering they're a three piece. Again I discredited them for ages but now love 'em.

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
Anything from Pearl Jam pretty much fires me up, but wack on Master of the Puppets by Metallica close your eyes and tell me you can't take on.............well anything!!!!!!!!!
But is that from an era bygone enough? not sure but it works.

mtb1611

Seymour
therapyneworderthebeatvspyvspymadballfaithlesssickofitallthespecialsmidnightoilfaithnomoremadness theselecterbobmarleyskinheadreggaeprincebusterdropkickmurphysTISMmeaniesdeffxhardonsmetallicapopwilleatitselfhuntersandcollectorsbuzzcockstoolstrangetenantsevercleartoetotoetiestodeadkennedysdevotheclashfireballsinxsfrenzalrhombhoodoogurusmarilynmansonnineinchnailpilsexpistolsblackflagrollinsbandtalkingheadsrollingstonesmefirstandthegimmgimmesnofxpennywisepresetsseveredheadetcetcetc

Exie

Likes Dirt
therapyneworderthebeatvspyvspymadballfaithlesssickofitallthespecialsmidnightoilfaithnomoremadness theselecterbobmarleyskinheadreggaeprincebusterdropkickmurphysTISMmeaniesdeffxhardonsmetallicapopwilleatitselfhuntersandcollectorsbuzzcockstoolstrangetenantsevercleartoetotoetiestodeadkennedysdevotheclashfireballsinxsfrenzalrhombhoodoogurusmarilynmansonnineinchnailpilsexpistolsblackflagrollinsbandtalkingheadsrollingstonesmefirstandthegimmgimmesnofxpennywisepresetsseveredheadetcetcetc
Hey, if you didnt notice, your "space bar" isnt working. :)

dunndog

Eats Squid
I'm a vet, I'm old, my days on this planet are numbered; I aint got no time for no damn space bar!
But now all your vet compatriots are wasting some of their precious last moments trying to decipher your alpha code to music.

mtb1611

Seymour
But now all your vet compatriots are wasting some of their precious last moments trying to decipher your alpha code to music.
Hey, if they get halfway through the first line, they've got too much time on their hands and clearly aren't that young ;)

andy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Blind by Face to Face
or
Rookie by Boy Sets Fire.
or
Baby got back by Sir mix alot
or
Ice Ice Baby by you know who.

My daughter doesn't get this one, she is two and sometimes walks around singing Ice Ice Baby Baby.

UncleFeet

Likes Dirt
...Dinosaur Jr...The Dexateens...Bowie...Yo La Tengo...Voivod...Turbo Negro...Tom Waits (good on a big Climb or smooth trail)...Sigur Ros (nightriding fav)...Rollins Band...

Whatever comes on the iRiver really...too busy to FF to another track...

...nice to read of some good tunes instead of the teen angst selection....

MrsH

Likes Dirt
I always love Solid Rock by Goanna to work out to.. am I showing my age?!

More recently Pink has some kick arse stuff, Bad Influence is one that comes to mind.

I tend to use music @ the gym but not on the bike, hence lots of beat to work to.

Balance

Squid
Motley Crue!
(Yes I am an 80's rock chick)

and I know half the planet hate them, but I love to ride with Nickelback :p

Dagget

Squid
I may be the lone ranger here in the vets section , but I'm a bit of a metal fiend.

70's and 80's metal / rock like Iron Maiden and Deep Purple.

and on to newer stuff like MudVayne, Tool , Slipknot , Drowning Pool etc ...

And even a bit of Progressive metal / rock like Coheed and Cambria or Dreamtheatre ...

Maybe because I play guitar / bass ? I dunno ...
I just know I love riding to the sounds of metal.

Most radio just does not float my boat ...

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My wife refers to them as "Poofter Hairspray Bands", but I am well and truly a Glam Rock Tragic.

Poison, Bon Jovi, Warrant, Def Leppard, Whitesnake, Slaughter, Guns and Roses.

So long as they had big hair, chances are I liked them. ;)

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Welcome to the Jungle, Mr Brownstone/Guns and Roses
Most Green day-Dookie,American Idiot
Pearl Jam
Faith no More
Pantera
Getting back into Iron Maiden
Metallica; Kill em all, Justice and Master only, thank you...

Oh , yeah, Transvision Vamp...Man, she was hot !:eek: Roxette......:cool:

At work we have Max music on tv,and the 90's music gives me flashbacks.....House of Pain..anyone ? Lots of others...

If I am going on a road ride for a hour or so, I have a Hard techno section on the ipod, Sam Hill is the DJ,(not THE Sam Hill) and DJ Vegas...ahhh, that brings back the days of underground raves and lost weekends !!!

Still get taken back to one of the original 'Mud Cows' videos (Mud Cows II ?) when I hear 'Grinspoon - Bad Funk Stripe'. I can picture Ronning on an old school DH rig, riding thru the Cairns Rainforest!! Love it.

Emmett

Likes Dirt
Still get taken back to one of the original 'Mud Cows' videos (Mud Cows II ?) when I hear 'Grinspoon - Bad Funk Stripe'. I can picture Ronning on an old school DH rig, riding thru the Cairns Rainforest!! Love it.
I've loved that song since I first heard in the mid 90's. It's still played frequently on my ipod too :)

Balance

Squid
Oh I love all that 80's / 90's rock / metal!
Now I wish I didn't check out the forums first thing today, I don't want to work - I want to ride!

Gonna play some Gunners in the office now....might wake up some ppl