Trump..... (The Sophistry Thread)

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
THERE WAS A BOOK?

consults internet

Holy crap yes there was. Will need to track that down. I'd imagine it's like reading 1984 and thinking "Glad this hasn't come to pa - wait....... shit"
It's well worth a read but in terms of tone etc it is quite different from the movie. There's lots of discussion around values and morals.
Certainly not a long read

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
It's well worth a read but in terms of tone etc it is quite different from the movie. There's lots of discussion around values and morals.
Certainly not a long read
Yeah I checked on Audible and 9 hours of audio is not a lengthy tome. Also in French which may present a challenge.

I felt the movie actually had a lot of discussions around values and morals too - but easy to ignore if you didn't want to engage. The whole debate around citizens verses civilians and overt fascism portrayed as patriotism via endless propaganda. Not to mention the aliens essentially being the "good guys" verses humanity's rapacious brutality. That was my interpretation anyway.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
THERE WAS A BOOK?

consults internet

Holy crap yes there was. Will need to track that down. I'd imagine it's like reading 1984 and thinking "Glad this hasn't come to pa - wait....... shit"
Robert Heinlein, only one of the most prolific and well known sci-fi authors ever ;) Stranger in a Strange Land is probably his most well known books.
Spent a lot of my teenager years with my nose buried in sci-fi novels...

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Robert Heinlein, only one of the most prolific and well known sci-fi authors ever ;) Stranger in a Strange Land is probably his most well known books.
Leave me alone! Just cus I only found out recently that the bulk of George RR Martin's influence was H.P. Lovecraft.

In my defence I wasn't really into Sci-fi stuff until I read Birmingham's Axis of Time trilogy which was a gateway drug to S.M. Stirling etc.

Haakon

Leave me alone! Just cus I only found out recently that the bulk of George RR Martin's influence was H.P. Lovecraft.

In my defence I wasn't really into Sci-fi stuff until I read Birmingham's Axis of Time trilogy which was a gateway drug to S.M. Stirling etc.
A lot of the scifi that was written in the 50/60/70s got quite political and into the whole commentary on society thing. Interesting that so much of it is still relevant today.

If you like scifi and politics though, Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy is pretty awesome.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
A lot of the scifi that was written in the 50/60/70s got quite political and into the whole commentary on society thing. Interesting that so much of it is still relevant today.
This is why capitalism is referred to as a boring dystopia.

Also the DNC should rename to the conservative republican party.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Trump on losers and suckers from wars.

“Trump rejected the idea of the visit because he feared his hair would become disheveled in the rain, and because he did not believe it important to honor American war dead, according to four people with firsthand knowledge of the discussion that day. In a conversation with senior staff members on the morning of the scheduled visit, Trump said, “Why should I go to that cemetery? It’s filled with losers.” In a separate conversation on the same trip, Trump referred to the more than 1,800 marines who lost their lives at Belleau Wood as “suckers” for getting killed”
Sadly, won’t make any difference to his followers, they’ll just call it fake news and move on. They accepted him saying on tape he prefers his war hero’s not being captured and he shat on that gold star family.
He has no morals or even basic humanity and his followers don’t care.

Haakon

While you're discovering all this, do yourself a favour and get The Stainless Steel Rat by Harry Harrison - less political intrigue and more fun. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stainless_Steel_Rat

moorey

call me Mia
Sadly, won’t make any difference to his followers, they’ll just call it fake news and move on. They accepted him saying on tape he prefers his war hero’s not being captured and he shat on that gold star family.
He has no morals or even basic humanity and his followers don’t care.
Doesn’t need to. He’s only got 30% of Americans behind him. Only 60% of those will vote. It’s the swinging and lazy voters that need to listen to this and step up.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
My hero is Philip K Dick , unfortunate surname but so imaginativeand genius even on speed .
So many good stories which have led to films .including Minority report, Gattaca , Bladerunner , correction Bureau , Man in High Tower ,