Toyota Yaris GR - perhaps too intriguing to bury in the "project car" thread

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Anyway, this week is something intriguing - a possibly last-of-its-kind rally homologation special (gratuitous shot with something else special to me):

You do need to drive it like a hooligan though to get the most out of it.

Driving position is a bit too high but you get used to it. Steering feel is non existent but you get used to it. Steering is fluid, weighty, calm...but not chatty. Is there a car for sale with chatty steering any more? Most of what happens you feel through your bum.

Suspension is rather terrific, lots of control & negative travel - never trips up on anything. Mid corner bumps are swallowed. Chassis balance is verging on awesome - no understeer to speak of (if you don't just stuff it into a corner without setting it up) and on-limit control on the throttle engages the rear nicely. Plus if you are deliberately less smooth with your inputs you can really get it to move about. Tyres are curiously average, some Dunlop something-or-others. Wasn't that impressed.

Engine is charming, lots of grunt & a great 3-cyl growl. Gearshift is just about perfect. Brakes are massive & super solid.

Cheap as a tram ride inside, but with some tricks like HUD. You could live with it as it’s so solid & the ergonomics are good.

But the biggest problem is the speed it can carry, again it’s a modern car with such capability you double the speed limit plus some to get a smile going.

Intriguing, it is...

*This doesn't change my attitude on cars in general & that we should no longer see cars as personal objects to own & enjoy. Consider this an ICE private ownership swansong :D

Last edited:

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
It looks like a bucket load of fun, from the bits and pieces I've seen of them.

Google the banned TV ad. Nanny State much?

P.S. There's a couple of aspects of the one I know of already in the Project Car thread ;)

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
*This doesn't change my attitude on cars in general & that we should no longer see cars as personal objects to own & enjoy. Consider this an ICE private ownership swansong :D
Still going to be silently judging you every time you even think about the climate change thread ;). That does look like a heap of fun, nothing better than a car with good handling that needs to be pushed hard to wring every last drop of enjoyment from it.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Anyway, this week is something intriguing - a possibly last-of-its-kind rally homologation special (gratuitous shot with something else special to me):

View attachment 372766

You do need to drive it like a hooligan though to get the most out of it.

Driving position is a bit too high but you get used to it. Steering feel is non existent but you get used to it. Steering is fluid, weighty, calm...but not chatty. Is there a car for sale with chatty steering any more? Most of what happens you feel through your bum.

Suspension is rather terrific, lots of control & negative travel - never trips up on anything. Mid corner bumps are swallowed. Chassis balance is verging on awesome - no understeer to speak of (if you don't just stuff it into a corner without setting it up) and on-limit control on the throttle engages the rear nicely. Plus if you are deliberately less smooth with your inputs you can really get it to move about. Tyres are curiously average, some Dunlop something-or-others. Wasn't that impressed.

Engine is charming, lots of grunt & a great 3-cyl growl. Gearshift is just about perfect. Brakes are massive & super solid.

Cheap as a tram ride inside, but with some tricks like HUD. You could live with it as it’s so solid & the ergonomics are good.

But the biggest problem is the speed it can carry, again it’s a modern car with such capability you double the speed limit plus some to get a smile going.

Intriguing, it is...

Needs mudflaps.