Toyota Yaris GR - perhaps too intriguing to bury in the "project car" thread

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
They'd have a heart attack if something like the Isuzu Gemini ads of the 80s got released these days...Trying to decide if I'm more impressed by the HighSpeed tandem 360 drifts or the jump onto the boat..

I'm leaning towards the boat

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Love it. Proof that Toyota still has a soul after the last 25 years of mobile fridges, anemic GT86 and we-got-BMW-to-build-this-for-us Supra.

Plus it's the first homologation special on sale for.... 20 years? More? I think the last one was the Evo VI.

Soooooo.... long term loan or are we about to see an Evora up for sale?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Neither. Evora long gone, this was just a taste of someone else's. I wouldn't invest $55k in ICE any more anyway.

Just thought I'd discuss the Yaris because it's so intiguing.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Neither. Evora long gone, this was just a taste of someone else's. I wouldn't invest $55k in ICE any more anyway.

Just thought I'd discuss the Yaris because it's so intiguing.
At the intro price of $40k on road it would have been a no brainer, at RRP? Not so much. If you stretched to lightly used and slightly abused there are faster options but it depends what you want it for.

There is one in the club and it went very well on green track tyres. Tell your mate to get rid of the Dunlops, they are truly shit.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
what's it like to live with at speeds that dont threaten the licence? at 9/10 of course its going to be as lot of fun. too small inside for me to consider but am looking at the new i30n, or the focus st, 420nm will make it a nice lazy drive for the times i just want to get about.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
They'd have a heart attack if something like the Isuzu Gemini ads of the 80s got released these days...Trying to decide if I'm more impressed by the HighSpeed tandem 360 drifts or the jump onto the boat..

Bugger the Yaris, the Gemini video needs a whole thread to its self!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
what's it like to live with at speeds that dont threaten the licence? at 9/10 of course its going to be as lot of fun. too small inside for me to consider but am looking at the new i30n, or the focus st, 420nm will make it a nice lazy drive for the times i just want to get about.
It really depends what you are buying it for and how much you paid. I was lucky enough to get one for a test drive for nearly 3 hours. On my own. It was a lot of fun, and I have had some memorable test drives... I rate it better than the Focus RS I drove.

They are a small car, if the purpose is a daily or commuter for one or two and a track or weekend play thing then they are fine, especially if you can get one at the discounted price. If you need to travel any real distance with 2 or more passengers grab an i30N. I avoid the V word in all its incarnations but such a thing might be your choice. The only thing I don't like about the i30N is the pop and crackle from the exhaust. It is a bit fake and occurs at weird times. I like a bit of antilag but that seems over the top. Otherwise a fine car.

On the track doing sprints or short circuit work the GR is faster than the i30N, GTi Golf or Polo (is there still such an animal?) or the French options in its size or larger. But all of those would be easier to live with if the main purpose is family oriented. I tried to get my large Bronson in the back, two wheels off please.

Anyway see if you can find one and take a test drive. Being a 3 pot there is a big gap in firing strokes (compared to what you are used to) so you need to hold gears longer, and that makes it even more fun. Stock Dunlops are rubbish though.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the French options in its size or large
the megane rs was the front runner, until they said they're only doing the trophy this year (too hard for my old bones) and that renault are leaving it all to an agent. the i30 i like with the ability to pick and choose from different settings on all aspects, so you can have quiet exhaust, comfort suspension and hooligan settings on the drivetrain.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
........Being a 3 pot there is a big gap in firing strokes (compared to what you are used to) so you need to hold gears longer, and that makes it even more fun........
That's something I've never considered. Having owned a few 4s, V6s and an old school V8, it's not something I've noticed. What's the key difference with a 3?