Thinking of giving a gravel bike a crack

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
They seem to get huge fields for the gravel races
A lot of roadies seems to be giving it a shot. The more the merrier I say. Definitely more a 'type 2' activity as they say, I've now done a casual gravel race and a proper gravel race - definitely like the casual one better. MTB races still have a better overall vibe, but it was still a pretty good crowd

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
We mainly ride gravel 2 days a week because our older friends cant stay on singletrack anymore.
8 of us went away for 3 days , 62 yo to nearly 80 yo to the King River Valley NE Vic.
There are 100s of roads there , it is a very wide valley ,no traffic and quiet.
Recommended : there is a booklet with 8 rides.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
My roadie has been sat unused in my office at work for 12 months and I'm thinking of putting the original parts back on and swapping it for a 1x gravel bike I can ride offroad to get out of the city and stick my nice carbon wheels on when I want to ride the river over here. Current bike doesn't have much more clearance than the 28s I've got in there now.
I've been looking at Giant, Trek and Spesh as they're easy to get - anyone got any other suggestions?
Budget is probably around 5k

This is probably the frontrunner at the mo, with some room for a couple of upgrades. Don't need the dropper but if its there thats fine.
Revolt Advanced 1 (2024) | bike | Giant Bicycles Australia (giant-bicycles.com)

The Canyon Grizl CF SL is looking comparatively good value as well!

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
stick my nice carbon wheels on when I want to ride the river over here.

Nice budget :cool:

Watch out for wheel standards. Thru axle lengths and diameters, offsets to cassette on some Specialized and BB386EVO wheels/bikes and the PITA of swapping wheels, derailleur stops and trim to suit the other cassette and moving calipers to clear the discs on wheel swap.

Rorschach

Nice budget :cool:
Purely hypothetical at this stage - will depend on what I can get for the current one and what I can scrape together!

Watch out for wheel standards. Thru axle lengths and diameters, offsets to cassette on some Specialized and BB386EVO wheels/bikes and the PITA of swapping wheels, derailleur stops and trim to suit the other cassette and moving calipers to clear the discs on wheel swap.
This is true. The current wheels are 12mm thru axle, which is still common. Good shout on the casette though - maybe looking at 2x would make more sense given this - or I'd have the same cassette on both wheels to avoid the issue

ozzybmx

Purely hypothetical at this stage - will depend on what I can get for the current one and what I can scrape together!

This is true. The current wheels are 12mm thru axle, which is still common. Good shout on the casette though - maybe looking at 2x would make more sense given this - or I'd have the same cassette on both wheels to avoid the issue
The f%#kers have started going road/gravel boost 148 rear and some road/gravel have 15mm front :(

main-qimg-2011ccdd639183ce100dec0f9a3f31c7-lq.jpg

ozzybmx

In which case I’ll be buying a short travel HT instead! But yes - one to watch out for!
Its shit, why couldn't they just stay 142/100 x 12 road/gravel as UCI specifies. We all have an abundance of older 142mm MTB wheels with the perfect gravel rim width of 25mm(ish) and 100mm front that a set of adaptors could change from 15mm to 12mm, easily reduced or an Ali 15mm-12mm reducer sleeve.

They were descending at 120kph 5yrs ago on QR bikes and hated discs... all marketing.

BTW, haven't looked too much in to road/gravel boost and if the UCI allows it. Done looking at that nonsense.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
My roadie has been sat unused in my office at work for 12 months and I'm thinking of putting the original parts back on and swapping it for a 1x gravel bike I can ride offroad to get out of the city and stick my nice carbon wheels on when I want to ride the river over here. Current bike doesn't have much more clearance than the 28s I've got in there now.
I've been looking at Giant, Trek and Spesh as they're easy to get - anyone got any other suggestions?

This is probably the frontrunner at the mo, with some room for a couple of upgrades. Don't need the dropper but if its there thats fine.

The Canyon Grizl CF SL is looking comparatively good value as well!
How about an AXS equipped carbon 12 speed for only a little more than half your budget? It's not pretty but you can't see it when you are riding it!

Or there's this model with a wireless dropper too https://www.bikesonline.com/polygon-bend-r9x-gravel-bike similar price too.

Other than that...I've built one from an old hybrid bike. Though I now ride a Niner RLT so take from that what you will.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
How about an AXS equipped carbon 12 speed for only a little more than half your budget? It's not pretty but you can't see it when you are riding it!

Or there's this model with a wireless dropper too https://www.bikesonline.com/polygon-bend-r9x-gravel-bike similar price too.

Other than that...I've built one from an old hybrid bike. Though I now ride a Niner RLT so take from that what you will.
Yea but...the polygon frames are absolute trash.

Rorschach

Wow they’re ugly. Fantastic value though, definitely on the list!

RastaRuss

Likes Dirt
I've been using a Cotic Solaris Max, steel hardtail as a gravel/commuter/bike packing rig.
However, I love building bikes, so I'm ordering a Carbonda 707 gravel frame to build up.
It'll come in at about $4k.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been using a Cotic Solaris Max, steel hardtail as a gravel/commuter/bike packing rig.
However, I love building bikes, so I'm ordering a Carbonda 707 gravel frame to build up.
It'll come in at about $4k.
Frame, fork and bars at $4k?

@beeb must have really bumped their sales up

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
That's a winner imo. If I was looking for a gravel bike that's the one I'd get. Pretty meh on Canyon, their warranties might be great but anecdotally I've heard of too many breaking.

Given your (possible) budget I'd probably look at the one a rung above - lack of a dropper is a downer though:

Mattyp

Cows go boing
That's a winner imo. If I was looking for a gravel bike that's the one I'd get. Pretty meh on Canyon, their warranties might be great but anecdotally I've heard of too many breaking.
I wouldn't say Canyon warranties are great, I was stuffed around for a couple months with what was a well known global problem with the Spectral125, lots of back and forth emails, photos / videos and phonecalls despite the bottom bracket shell completely seperating on the drive side and clunking around. I was even told to keep riding it at one point...told them they've got to be Farkin kidding.

Giant warranties on the other hand... The gold standard. My last one was zero questions and a new frame that same week.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Are they trash because of the name or because of breakage and shit warranty ?
Breakage and shit warranty. I have first hand experience with a strattos roady which cracked with less than 3000km on it. Stuffed around for months by Bikes Online. There's a dedicated FB group for cracked polygon MTBs.

The in house 'entity' parts they use are also woeful. Wheels basically fell apart, unrideable seat etc.

IMO they aren't as good a deal as many make them out to be. Pretty hard to gloss over the flaws just because they come with good groupsets.